Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to order the Honda ATF-Z1 I am looking at 5.26 a qt on H and A's site which is fine I am just wondering how much should I order. I am not doing the 4X flush just one time. I am having my mechanic do this with my parts supplied, I did this for the rear differential (I think I paid 20 Bucks) when I ordered the Dual Pump fluid I had tons left over. I hear its something in the neighborhood of 3.5 Qt's should I just do 4 or should I make it 5? Thanks again, also I am wondering what should I pay for just labor looking at the Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6kbS5mo4mc it seems easier than doing an oil change.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4 quarts will be ample for a single drain and fill.
Thanks the local places are telling me they cant drain and fill with my own parts, and they are charging 129-150:eek::eek: . I figure 40 Bucks for materials isn't to bad. Still don't know if I am going to do this myself from what I can tell all I have to do is open the drain valve, clean the plug replace the washer re tighten to 36 Ft LB fill through the dip stick hole (that's what she said) after 3 quarts check the dip stick. If needed fill in more, then start car cycle through all gears and go for a drive. Is this right? I have never changed my own oil in my life I have done lights bulbs, and filters from what I can remember thats it. Also who takes the oil? Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
We have a 2005 CRV with 5 spd automatic. I just put it on a level garage floor and drain. First time I did it, I measured what came out and replaced it with the same amount and when checked was at full operating level. I don't know about the 2004 CRV with the 4 spd auto but you could do the same- measure what comes out and put that much in. On ours, there is a plastic baffle near the drain plug - I use a short stick to push the baffle out of the way so the transmission drains properly. In my case, it takes exactly 3 Litres of transmission fluid. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Any place that takes oil will take trans fluid also. The procedure is easier than an oil change, but make sure to torque the bolt down to spec as it may have been "tightened" on really hard. Clean the plug off as it's a magnetic type and may have some gunk on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I measured 3.5 qts when I did my drain/refill. And it really is as simple as changing your oil. As mentioned the bolt is on tight so you will probably need some leverage to get it off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dave,
Not being very mechanically inclined myself, I have to say changing the trans fluid was easier than doing the oil. I used a breaker to loosen the drain plug and a torque wrench to tighten it. I did a 3x drain and fill, driving around 5-10 mins. between each change. Made sure to go thru all gears and reverse, didn't even have to raise the car. Also picked up a $3 funnel specifically for trans fluid. Used just under 11 qts. if I remember. Didn't use a new crush washer til the end.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CRV EX 2.4l AT
313 Posts
Just did it fr the third time. Im doing single drain and fills every 30k. The first two times, it took only 3qts. This time, 3.3 qts. I must have let it drain a bit longer this time. So I say get 4 bottles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts