Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I backed out of the garage this morning, got on the road, and turned on the HU as I always do to listen to some music on Sirius/XM. To my surprise I got nothing but a banner that said "Check Tuner". The preset buttons were not there, and the Category and Ship controls did not work. Flipping to either AM or FM worked fine - those work. Went back to Sirius/XM to still see the alert. I figured maybe it was having trouble locking on to the satellites, but in every car I've driven where that's happened, it's only taken a minute at most to acquire. In this case it didn't work for the whole drive to work. Has anyone else gotten this "Check Tuner" alert? I've done some searching and see that it's been reported for Civics and Odysseys. What's troubling is that it seems like doing a HU reset only temporarily solves the problem.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well the tuner is a separate unit in the rear. If it keeps doing it you may need to take it to the dealer to have it replaced, or it may be a loose connection to head unit or at tuner. Do a search here on how to enter diagnostics and you should be able to see i tuner status

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
if you need to get the tuner replaced, I suggest opting for the HD tuner if you have Navigation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I don't have Nav, but if a replacement were needed would I even have a choice? Wouldn't they do a replacement with the model called out on the parts list?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll keep the diag entry mode in mind, but I didn't need it when I left work yesterday. Turned on the car and noticed the big "H" on the HU was there for much longer than usual. After it dismissed everything was back to normal. I hope I got some sort of over the air update, and not some weird hiccup that's just giving me a temporary reprieve. I've read in some of these cases that Sirius/XM came back for a time then dropped out again. It was fine again this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
It doesn't support over the air updates but sounds like you got a full reboot
Well, actually, SirriusXM will update over the air. They frequently change the "spotlighted" artist on a few channels, and they will send an update to the cars so the head unit will display the new artist/channel name associated with the channel number. (As we now surmise, this may be related to the loss of preset channels some have experienced in their CR-Vs)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Right but thats just the channel list...it isn't updating the software or firmware at all and shouldn't cause a reboot

I think the loss of presets seems to be some bug happening when people connect their iphones.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thing is, I didn't lose a thing. All presets remained and everything went right back to normal.

...hopefully for good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
2018 CR-V EX-L which we’ve had since June of 2018, and yesterday had the same thing happen as Tony reported. Also had same result later as Tony did and all seems fine now. In addition though, only AM and FM would work, couldn’t play music via Bluetooth from my phone or from my usb chip.

·
Registered
84 Posts
2018 CR-V EX-L which we’ve had since June of 2018, and yesterday had the same thing happen as Tony reported. Also had same result later as Tony did and all seems fine now. In addition though, only AM and FM would work, couldn’t play music via Bluetooth from my phone or from my usb chip.
Have the dealer replace the tuner module

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2017 honda crv. Turned on the car and sirius xm says check tuner and nothing works. This is what i did to fix the problem:
1. Turn on car
2. Turn on radio
3. Push and hold power button for radio on/off. Hold for 5 seconds till you see the radio reboot.

--This fixed the problem for me, and dont worry you dont lose any saved channels for sirius xm, everything works exactly how you left it before the check tuner error.
--If this doesnt work you may have to take your car in to have it looked at. Good luck and hope this helped!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts