Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with the 3 month SiriusXM trial subscription. So far I like the selection of stations and songs. Question for those who have had subscriptions a while. How extensive is their song catalog? How often do they repeat a set of songs? I don't want to pay for a subscription only to find out they have a limited song library which they repeat frequently. Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
534 Posts
How much is XM radio now? About 10 year ago it was $75 a year. But now with Pandora and others I am sure XM is cheaper.. I don't plan to renew XM when my 3 months end... Howdy from Texas!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
The size of the rotation will vary by station. They have a gigantic catalog (in my previous job, I actually spent a couple days at XM HQ) consisting of most music published in the US, but it's up to the programmers for each station how they want to use it. Think of it as a large collection of radio stations vs. a service like Spotify.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How much is XM radio now? About 10 year ago it was $75 a year. But now with Pandora and others I am sure XM is cheaper.. I don't plan to renew XM when my 3 months end... Howdy from Texas!
I have negotiated them down to $4.99 a month for the XM Select, which has all the stations I want.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Two bits of cautionary advise when it comes to SiriusXM:

(1) NEVER EVER give them your real credit card info - go get a prepaid gift card, register it so it has a proper billing address and use that to pay for the service.

(2) Only sign up in 6 month increments ..talk your way down to $25 for 6 months ($5/per month). Pay that in one shot using the gift card, when the plan expires in 6 months they won't be able to bill you at their outrageously high normal rate (I think $18.99/month) because the gift card is all used up. They will call you to update your billing info, complain and say I don't think I use it that often to warrant keeping the service, they will offer you the 6 month for $25 deal again, keep doing this in perpetuity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only sign up in 6 month increments ..talk your way down to $25 for 6 months ($5/per month). Pay that in one shot using the gift card, when the plan expires in 6 months they won't be able to bill you at their outrageously high normal rate (I think $18.99/month) because the gift card is all used up. They will call you to update your billing info, complain and say I don't think I use it that often to warrant keeping the service, they will offer you the 6 month for $25 deal again, keep doing this in perpetuity.
That is what I do - five month increments for the $5 a month. I always tell them I am going to cancel unless I get the same deal. They sometimes play the "I have to talk to a supervisor" card, but they always come back and okay the deal. I will never pay more than $5 a month.

·
Registered
125 Posts

(1) NEVER EVER give them your real credit card info - go get a prepaid gift card, register it so it has a proper billing address and use that to pay for the service.

(2) Only sign up in 6 month increments ..talk your way down to $25 for 6 months ($5/per month). Pay that in one shot using the gift card, when the plan expires in 6 months they won't be able to bill you at their outrageously high normal rate (I think $18.99/month) because the gift card is all used up. They will call you to update your billing info, complain and say I don't think I use it that often to warrant keeping the service, they will offer you the 6 month for $25 deal again, keep doing this in perpetuity.

Its funny, I used their chat window and asked for any current promotions, said I originally had an account and cancelled it due to cost (which I did a year ago). Agent told me they had no current offers. He was in a rush to get off the chat. Not the right thing to do when you have a customer on the hook.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts

Using a gift card is a clever idea; although I have a slight refinement: Many credit cards offer "virtual account numbers" that are usually only good for the current month and the following month. This eliminates the hassle and expense of buying a gift card.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've had XM in the past and have been retesting it again with the free trial. I find the stations boring and repetitive.
I'm hooked on pandora. The variety is much better when you properly seed your stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
36 Posts
Using a gift card is a clever idea; although I have a slight refinement: Many credit cards offer "virtual account numbers" that are usually only good for the current month and the following month. This eliminates the hassle and expense of buying a gift card.
It's a good idea and I thought of using it too, but the problem is most credit card companies allow merchants to flag certain transactions as "recurring" and that may get around the virtual account number feature that is found with most card issuers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had xm since 2004. I have my presets and I can always find something to listen to. I'm 53, so I never got into spotify or pandora. It is a 1/2 hour drive to work each way for me, so between xm and my ipod I am all set. I'm also spoiled--can't listen to radio with chatty DJs anymore.
I just got my new CRV Saturday so I called yesterday and got the 3 months free, and they will start my 6 months for $5 a month when that 3 months is up, so I just have to call around new year's day to make sure they extend that promotion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm annoyed with Sirius. i bought my CRV a month ago and didn't sign up yet. I called them today to ask for the 3 month trial to start today. The clerk was obnoxious and said no and blamed it on Honda. The attitude of the clerk was just haughty. I decided I didn't care that much about Sirius. But maybe for $5 a month? My commute is long.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I got my Touring today and the 3-month free trial was already activated. I can't see it's worth it though to pay anything for it because TuneIn Radio has 100,000 stations, there are the local free AM/FM stations (all in Tunein too), zillions of great podcasts and then of course the 2,000 songs I have on my USB. Perhaps if you wanted to listen to Howard Stern it might be worth it for you...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just make them send you an invoice which is what I've been doing for years. NEVER EVER GIVE THEM A CC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They have had my credit card for years. The trick is to make sure you call them a day or two before the subscription expires and I play the game of getting the 6 months for $5 a month. I love sirius as I love all different kinds of music and always find something to listen too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does the 3 month free trial start as soon as the radio connects to SiriusXM for the first time?

I guess they are not banking on CR-V's being on the lot that long!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts