Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ski crv.jpg

2011 CR-V used for short ski drives with THULE ski racks installed on Honda Roof Bars. Look at the rear side window and you will see 3M clear vinyl non-skid strips used for boats/bathtubs to lean skis against while loading/unloading the racks. This keeps skis from scratching the car and possibly sliding off and into a jumble on the ground. Currently at 90K miles with Nokian WR G2 Winter-Rated/Year-Round Tires (have snowflake in mountain symbol on sidewall).

We also have a Pilot with a roof box for long ski drives.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ski Pilot.jpg

Long ski drives are better with skis in the roof box of our 2009 Pilot (140K miles). The THULE roof box clamps onto the Honda roof bars. Note the same leaning strips for skis on the rear side window. Tires are Nokian Rotiva AT which are also Winter-Rated/Year-Round Tires. The dent on the rear fender well was from a deer that ran into the side of the car this past weekend - never saw it until I heard/felt the thud and looked in rear view mirror, and saw it getting up to run away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice CRV! We bought ours exactly for the purpose of skiing! The old astro van could get more people to the slopes but it often could not make it up one particular hill on the way home, and rarely made it all the way up the driveway when we eventually did get home.

I live in buffalo, ny. Never once did the crv get stuck in snow, and we only use cheap all seasons. One complaint is that if I go though deep snow it will pack inside the rims, and then cause the wheels to be out of balance and shake the whole steering rack. This is with the steel wheels.

Edit- keep that crv forever. Mine has 172k miles, all in snow and salt. Everything is original, just fluid changes!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a cross bar only? Are were there side rails you attached to?
Both our CR-V and Pilot have the optional Honda Cross-Bars attached to the OEM Side Rails. Both the Ski Rack on the CR-V and the Ski Box on the Pilot are made by Thule, and both attach directly to the Cross-Bars. No getting away from having to buy the optional Honda Cross-Bars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts