Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06' CRV SE 5AT, 98k miles

Hi all,

My names Drew and this is my first post on this forum but i hope to help others as well as get what help i can. I bought an 06' CRV a few months ago for my wife and up until this weekend everythings been fine. I noticed a slight grinding noise at high RPM (3.5k+). It sounds silky smooth while in park or neutral, so thats leading me to believe its something with the transmission. Ive searched around some and havent had much luck other than a guy having a whistling noise at high rpms but this is much more like a very slight grinding, but could possibly be confused with a whistle, he was leading towards it having something to do with his air filter and its seal. Any other thought would be greatly appreciated. Also turning has no effect one way or the other on the noise.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I would start with a single automatic transmission fluid change using Honda DW-1 or another compatible synthetic atf such as Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf (gal jug at WalMart for around $18). It takes around 3 1/2 qts and you don't even have to jack the CRV up. There are several good how-to's in this forum. Hardest part is adding the new atf and that is pretty easy with the proper funnel.
Usually a good idea to replace all fluids when you purchase a used vehicle, IMO, unless you have records indicating that they have been changed recently.
Grinding type noises can come from wheel bearings, brake pads, loose cat converter heat shield, axles, rear tranny bearing, etc.
If you post a recording of the noise, it may help.
Any leaks under CRV?
Does it make the same noise when it is in the lowest gear at the higher rpm?
Just trying to differentiate between speed and rpm while driving.
Best of luck on your 'new' CRV.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really appreciate thje thorough response. I bought the vehicle from my grandparents who had everything serviced at the Honda dealership, at the recommended intervals or sooner, so i trust that its been done. And all fluid levels are fine and the Transmission fluid does still have a "sweet" smell which ive always taken as an indicator or good trans fluid. I also just added some of that Lucas Trans additive Stop Slip, in the hopes that would help some but it hasnt. It really sounds almost like a dog whistle just very high pitched. Ill be linking a youtube video of the noise and its hard to make out with the road noise, I think the best representation of it is between 50-52 seconds. It also does it through all of the gears, there appear to be no leaks. And since its obviously RPM based and not speed that has led me away from thinking wheel bearings, brakes and axel. But I havent thought of the cat heat shield, i will check that and Im uncertain of how to diagnose the rear tranny bearing.

Thanks again

·
Registered
644 Posts
I can't check the video from where I am right now. Will check later. It's very important to identify the type of noise. Whistling noise is caused by air. Internal A/T noises are grinds, rattles etc, and may be whines. They are dulled and dampened by the fluid. So a high pitch is generally caused by something in dry surroundings, or open to outside.

Does it make this noise when revving up 3500+ in park?
Is the ATF in red color?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts