Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi;
I am new to the forums and would really appreciate some insight or help with my first CRV.It is a 2003 two whl drive that has 150K on it. I purchased it last month to replace my 97 Altima which I have driven the last 9 years.I bought my wife a 2012 Pilot in june and she has over 20K on it and loves it,so I thought i would give honda a go also.The little CRV looks and runs great but a problem has surfaced that I haven't got a handle on yet.On some mornings the first crank up of the day it will turn over slow(as the battery is not charged)but the battery is good(new actually).The battery checks good,charging checks good,and starter draw is good.Once it fires up it is good for whole day(even after setting in lot at work).The cables have no corrosion and look fine.It seems to be when the temp is cool(45-48 degrees) is when it happens.But it is not every time.We have had mornings at freezing and it started just fine and mornings it hasen't.
It would make me think the starter motor is going bad but it checks good.I haven't let my wife use it for fear of her getting stuck somewhere.Has anyone had this kind of problem?Is the crv of this gen stuck with a thorn that comes up with time? And if so has anyone come up with a cure?
My 97 Altima was used when I bought it and after me driving it for 8 years it started a strange thing that some days when trying to go home from work it wouldn't turn the starter motor.But come back after dark and it was fine.I figured out that the problem only happened on sunny days.Seems the sun would shine on the steering column for a coulpe of hours before go home time and that woud trigger the no turn over problem.I found out that this was a problem with first gen Altimas with age and would require the ignition switch to be replaced(have to almost remove whole steering column).I devised a work around.A small micro momentary button by the key to overide and turn the starter motor.worked great for the last year I drove it.Funny the guy I sold it to,ask if I had any starting problems in the heat.I showed him the button and he said he wishes he thought of that on his last Altima(cost him $350.00 to get it fixed).
Anyway I woud really appreciate any insight or help with my CRV.I reall like the little car.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Did you had the battery , alternator & starter checked by whom? Did you tried to check the voltage of the battery before cranking or while cranking? Where did you got the battery? Did you checked the charging voltage when the engine is running? It could be a weak alternator. I hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Otto

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
battery,charging system,and starter checked by shop.Battery voltage above 12v before problem and after problem.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds like a pitted solonoid for the starter............If it is pitted bad enough it wont start at all, but with the age of the starter I would start replacing that, I have changed the one on my 02 that was the original........Problem solved!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for input. Did your CRV have the same problem?For the last week mine has been starting just fine.Kinda strange.Anyway thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It had a mind of it's own.......LOL!! When ever it wanted to it would act up so I had enough. I thought I would just change the starter until I found out the price......OMG... do they think we are made of money? $680 from Honda............... So I repaired for $20

1 - 7 of 7 Posts