Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new owner of a high mileage (157k)used 2010 EX AWD. We bought it to use as a third car and not having owned crv's befor bought it based on condition, one owner with all maintenance, a short test drive and then negotiated price. Never really did a long highway test drive. I kinda knew they were a little slow but after a couple weeks of ownership I am thinking ours has an issue.

Mileage running around town is around 24 but out on highway it falls considerably and car cannot hold fifth gear if even trying to increase speed just a little. Absolutely no power in fifth and even a slight grade caused the transmission to shift into 4th or even 3rd. This seems to be the reason for miserable highway mileage, less than 20 mpg on highway.

Anyway, took it to a Honda dealer and it got a good bill of health. They did a fuel system clean and reflashed the computer. But still same problem. Disappointing.

Is this normal? Any thoughts from anyone?
We only drove this one crv so I have no reference point. Our bad when buying the car but this was the last thing I would have ever imagined.

Really appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not normal. I would have the transmission checked. Could be something as simple as a faulty sensor. You might want to skip the dealer and find a transmission shop.

·
Registered
101 Posts
curlyrip- 5th gear is pretty useless on crv - it will normally downshift on the slightest upgrade at even say 60mph on highway -if you are going faster then less downshifting as engine is up in better part of powerband -problem is 5th gear is so tall it is almost always lugging engine -this was designed so to get max epa mileage on drive cycle dyno -as many cars are. our around town mileage is pretty normal but highway/trip should be up around 30mpg -so you probably need some maintenance.At 157k, valves should have been adjusted(at around 100k) and plugs also at around 100k -have they? If you dont have records showing that you might as well get it done (preferably not at dealer as they are ripoff artists). Also front ox sensor is probably getting lazy (slow acting) by this mileage and would be worth replacing. Fuel injectors can be fairly easily replaced with rebuilt ones (or have yours rebuilt) as dirty ones will give poor performance and unlikely that dealer fuel system cleaning would do much good -around $20 each to have them rebuilt/cleaned/tested for flow -quite a few good online injector cleaning sources.I would just do valve adj and plugs first then see how trip mileage is.One other remote possibility is a clogged catalytic convertor but unlikely -exhaust pressure test could tell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Transmission checks out. It's at another mechanic today. He will do a compression test and check the plugs. The plugs were changed at 97k so they should be ok. Am intrigued by the valve adjustment. Is that something Honda recommends? Dealer shop said nothing about that. Anyone else had that done. It's the same as the accord engine so I can't imagine all those accords with high mileage would not know if this is necessary or not.

·
Registered
101 Posts
well, not too many owners around anymore who know much about valve adjustments so most people neglect this maintenance-Hondas reccomendations are weak also but basically what happens is that exhaust valves tend to tighten up with time&miles as valve seats wear& recede.If they get too tight you lose compression and power&mileage and it can damage valves and they need to close completely to cool properly.At 157k miles on a k24 engine I expect you would normally have some tight valves -it really varies from engine to engine and with type of use/fuel/carbon build up etc. It is not a difficult procedure however and might improve your situation. My 2011 crv had a few exhaust valves already a little tight at 65k miles and if you research k24 valve adj you will find thats not uncommon.Intake valves tend to loosen and make a little noise but also seem to stay in spec longer on these engines.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks. Transmission checks out. It's at another mechanic today. He will do a compression test and check the plugs. The plugs were changed at 97k so they should be ok. Am intrigued by the valve adjustment. Is that something Honda recommends? Dealer shop said nothing about that. Anyone else had that done. It's the same as the accord engine so I can't imagine all those accords with high mileage would not know if this is necessary or not.
Honda service mgr. told me our 2008 CR-V wouldn't need a valve adjustment till around 180k. The older gens needed it earlier.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thats kinda of a foolish statement for a service manager to make as there is no way to know whether it needs it or not -the whole point of checking them is to head off potential valve damage which will cost you thousands - proactive check/adj should only cost around $100 or less as it is easy to do. Many k24 engines will have tight exhaust valves by 100k miles. Of course your average Honda service advisor/manager frequently has little to no actual mechanical experience -they are often just paperwork/scheduling/service marketing individuals- better to listen to someone who actually works on/does valve adj on k24s

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think the service manager was just stating a fact based on his experience at the service dept. If there's no problems then normal valve adjustment is done at 180k or there abouts.

The Op mentioned valve adjustment, he didn't say anything about valve check.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Honda recomends check and adj per MM b4 which will come up on most crvs around 100k -varies with vehicle depending on driving style. If you wait until 180k to address this you are risking exhaust valve damage- why would you do that? That service manager is not knowledgable.There are many posts on this site and others confirming that k24s frequently need exhaust valve adj by at least 100k or earlier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts