Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Honda CRV EX-L, and the car so far is great. What I have noticed is that the driver's door will not always open when I touch the raised markings on the door handle while I have the smart key in my pocket. Most of the time it works but occasionally the door handle and unlocking mechanism do not activate to allow me to open the door. I then have to manually press the unlock button on the smart key to unlock the door.

Does anyone have the same issue? Is it the smart key battery losing charge? What is causing this issue? Is there a dealer repair?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Check the battery, might have just got a bad one.
Also if you have another car and keys are in pocket SOMETIMES the fob will block the other one.
For me at least.. mine would open fine 100% till my wife got her 2019 equinox work truck
As soon as the fob went on keys the first week i had issues then i’d move the chevy junk out of the way and voila... worked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The raised markings is for locking the vehicle. To unlock you grab the door handle. At least on my 2017 EX that’s the way it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is the way it works, the raised section is for locking the door. Grab the door handle like you are opening the door to unlock it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2018 CR-V EX-L in September 2018. I've had issues on and off with the (not)Smart Entry not working intermittently (i.e. touching handle wouldn't unlock). It comes and goes without consistency. First time it happened I unplugged battery and let it set for a few minutes before reconnecting. It worked for around a month. Next time, It worked for a week. Recently, it hadn't been working consistently for a week or so, but then, without ANY intervention, started working for several weeks. Now, it's not working again. It ALL cases, it'll work if I take the fob out of my pocket and hold it right next to the door handle. I've tried new batteries with no affect. For this ONE reason, I don't think I'll ever buy another Honda again! I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that I bought brand new and it's NEVER had a single issue with its proximity entry system.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,777 Posts
I bought a 2018 CR-V EX-L in September 2018. I've had issues on and off with the (not)Smart Entry not working intermittently (i.e. touching handle wouldn't unlock). It comes and goes without consistency. First time it happened I unplugged battery and let it set for a few minutes before reconnecting. It worked for around a month. Next time, It worked for a week. Recently, it hadn't been working consistently for a week or so, but then, without ANY intervention, started working for several weeks. Now, it's not working again. It ALL cases, it'll work if I take the fob out of my pocket and hold it right next to the door handle. I've tried new batteries with no affect. For this ONE reason, I don't think I'll ever buy another Honda again! I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that I bought brand new and it's NEVER had a single issue with its proximity entry system.
Check to see if the passenger side lock/unlock is working ok to isolate the problem to only the driveside door.
It's probably the sensor/antenna located in the driverside handle. Then take it to the dealer to replace it. Honda doesn't actually make the smart entry system. There are only a couple of companies that do manufacture them and they supply to all the car manufactures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2015, smart entry works on passenger and hatchback, but very intermittently on the driver's side. Any insight in repairing this myself? We are 90 miles away from a dealer that takes a move of congress to schedule/deal with. Can I just buy a new antenna? Perhaps check connections for it? Is it in the handle itself? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure your fob and cell phone are not together in the same pocket or purse. There are many reports that this can cause the phone to interfere with the fob signal.
Doesn't appear to be the issue in this case, but I'll experiment and report back. The passenger door and trunk work perfectly every time. Issue seems to solely be with the driver's side door...

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,777 Posts
We have a 2015, smart entry works on passenger and hatchback, but very intermittently on the driver's side. Any insight in repairing this myself? We are 90 miles away from a dealer that takes a move of congress to schedule/deal with. Can I just buy a new antenna? Perhaps check connections for it? Is it in the handle itself? Thanks.
It does sound like the sensors within the door handle are at fault. Regrettably that plastic handle is $230 and will require you taking the inner door panel off to replace the handle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2019 Honda CRV EX-L, and the car so far is great. What I have noticed is that the driver's door will not always open when I touch the raised markings on the door handle while I have the smart key in my pocket. Most of the time it works but occasionally the door handle and unlocking mechanism do not activate to allow me to open the door. I then have to manually press the unlock button on the smart key to unlock the door.

Does anyone have the same issue? Is it the smart key battery losing charge? What is causing this issue? Is there a dealer repair?

Thanks
I also have a 2019 CRV and I noticed the same problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doesn't appear to be the issue in this case, but I'll experiment and report back. The passenger door and trunk work perfectly every time. Issue seems to solely be with the driver's side door...
mipster, have you resolved the problem yet? If so, how? My new 2020 Accord seems to have the same issue.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Smart key, right. when in the car, it starts right up no issue at all..

and you said the pass side works Perfect. so that said. LEAVE the smart key by the Passside, go try the Drivers side.

What we are doing is Seeing if the signal is working better on one side?

Next question is. this only happens in say your House, and never happens elsewhere? for me if i am in Mid town the City, all that RF making my 1 mi. range to 1 foot range.

I can say more but you should swap the battery out give another shot, Key in hand then back to the pocket.

A simple creditcard, and hte Immobilzer can cut the signal go-figure on that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't touch top of handle to unlock, the top is to lock. Grab the back of the handle without touching the top to unlock. Also if someone is touching the other front door handle simultaneously the car won't unlock.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have noticed as mentioned above with Toyota the fib and cell need to be separated as their is some frequency interference.
I am sure the same with Honda

1 - 18 of 18 Posts