Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Civc EX, 2020 CR-V EX Hybrid
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2020 CR-V Hybrid (and am asking this in the Gen5 forum because I assume it's not a Hybrid specific issue).

My wife and I both have Google Pixel 3 phones. They are both paired over Bluetooth, show up on the Bluetooth device list, and we can make calls fine using voice commands.

When I connect either phone to the USB phone port and use Android Auto, I can press and hold the hands free voice button and say "OK Google" and it will work with my navigation or my Google Play Music (ask for songs to play, etc.)

However, if I unplug the USB cable so the phone is connected by Bluetooth, when I press and hold the voice button I get this message, "This smartphone is not supported."

I assume this should work and not sure why it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 CR-V Hybrid (and am asking this in the Gen5 forum because I assume it's not a Hybrid specific issue).

My wife and I both have Google Pixel 3 phones. They are both paired over Bluetooth, show up on the Bluetooth device list, and we can make calls fine using voice commands.

When I connect either phone to the USB phone port and use Android Auto, I can press and hold the hands free voice button and say "OK Google" and it will work with my navigation or my Google Play Music (ask for songs to play, etc.)

However, if I unplug the USB cable so the phone is connected by Bluetooth, when I press and hold the voice button I get this message, "This smartphone is not supported."

I assume this should work and not sure why it doesn't.
I have never actually tried to connect and call with Bluetooth only. Especially using the voice command button on the steering wheel.

If you turn off the vehicle and restart does the Bluetooth calling start working again? It sounds like an Android setting that gets changed after you disconnect Android auto.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never actually tried to connect and call with Bluetooth only. Especially using the voice command button on the steering wheel.

If you turn off the vehicle and restart does the Bluetooth calling start working again? It sounds like an Android setting that gets changed after you disconnect Android auto.
Let me be clear, this is not a problem with calling. The phone is connected with Bluetooth and calls just fine. And if I play music on my phone and put the car audio source to Bluetooth, the music comes through the speakers.

This is really a question about how Honda's voice system works with my Pixel 3 phone when connected to Android Auto but not when connected by Bluetooth.

I guess what I really want to know is if others who have an Android phone are able to get the "OK Google" command to work by pressing and holding the voice command key when connected by Bluetooth.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have never had luck with any flavor of Android and the voice command in Hondalink. AA works great, plain phone without AA not so much.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I think I understand. The voice commands can be used when the phone is not plugged in to USB for phone calls, but not for getting Google commands because that requires Android Auto, which only works when plugged in. Thanks for clarifying that this is normal behavior. Android Auto when plugged in to USB seems to work fine.

I also see in my manual commands for things like climate control but it looks like those are not available on my EX mode.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
OK, I think I understand. The voice commands can be used when the phone is not plugged in to USB for phone calls, but not for getting Google commands because that requires Android Auto, which only works when plugged in. Thanks for clarifying that this is normal behavior. Android Auto when plugged in to USB seems to work fine.

I also see in my manual commands for things like climate control but it looks like those are not available on my EX mode.
Yeah you lose Google voice control and Android Auto without USB.

·
Registered
180 Posts
To get my phone to work with Android Auto wasn't easy at one stage I thought I was going to have to buy a new phone
Or do a factory reset on my phone
as there was a app or something that caused my phone not to work with AA
My Son has the same phone and his connected straight away so I knew that it wasn't the car

·
Registered
102 Posts
For some reason, voice passthrough on an Android based infotainment system only works on iPhones on these. I just found the workaround and hit the phone button on the steering wheel and a phone menu will pop up on the display between the gauge cluster with Phone Book, Recent Calls, and Redial.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
For some reason, voice passthrough on an Android based infotainment system only works on iPhones on these. I just found the workaround and hit the phone button on the steering wheel and a phone menu will pop up on the display between the gauge cluster with Phone Book, Recent Calls, and Redial.
I personally do not pair my phone in my CRV. But my wife is a heavy iPhone user in her 2018 Accord.

Even with Apple CarPlay... I still set everything up for my wife using connection through USB. Apple has much better control and interoperability with CarPlay across their line of phones (compared to Android) ... but it still has various odd issues here and there at times. Since she has her phone in a side cradle on her dash when she drives.... it is just as easy to forget about bluetooth and just connect with usb when she drops the phone in the cradle.

In my experience, bluetooth.. even today.. is problematic as there are so many different versions of bluetooth and so many different pieces of hardware that pair using bluetooth... that I avoid it in motor vehicles if at all possible. And I say this as a former engineering manager who lead some of the first bluetooth standards and systems design around those standards. It's great when it works, and it sucks when it is glitchy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the response. The bluetooth works just fine for voice activated phone calls. And sometimes we just leave the Bluetooth on and use the phone for navigation and hear the commands through the car speakers. My wife (who mostly drives the CR-V) doesn't use Google Play Music very often, so plugging in the cable for Androic Auto on those occasions is fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts