Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a strong smell of gas after parking the crv in the garage with the garage door shut now that the outside temps have droped. Hours after getting home you can go in the garage and you would think gas was spilled. Just took it to the dealer but they could find nothing wrong with the fuel system, evap system. this is a 2013 model we bought in Aug.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
What other gas powered machines are parked in the garage?
Are you sure it's gas you smell?
The only reason I ask is because our '13, also bought in Aug, would smell up the garage something fierce if we left the windows open. The 'new car smell' from the interior would permeate throughout the garage. After leaving the car in the sun, windows open, for a couple of days it has finally gotten to the point where it's no longer overwhelming. It's caused by the out gassing of the materials used inside the car.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,903 Posts
The fuel and evaporative systems are monitored by the OBDII system. If, for example, you had a loose gas cap or a split in the hoses to the fuel filler, a fault (check engine light) would be declared.

Some other brands have many problems with engine codes set by loose or split emissions hoses. Be aware that these codes take more than one drive cycle to "set", so for example, if you had a loose or ill-fitting gas cap, it would take a few days (or drives) to throw the code.

The dealer's diagnostic tool has the ability to check each valve to see if it is working OK. Hopefully they did this and not just a visual inspection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am new to CR-V's. Purchased a 2013 when I park it on a hot day I get the smell of gasoline in the cabin after I shut it off. Just a strong whiff and then it clears. Only on hot days and only right after I park and shut the engine off. Still, makes me worried. Any thoughts on this?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts