Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but it seemed close so I apologize if I guessed wrong. :)

Anyway, I have the subject CR-V and will be going to the mountains soon. While AWD should handle most situations, we are required to least carry chains. As such, I purchased the factory-recommended SCC TC2212MM chains. After being pampered by quick-on types for my prior vehicles and wrestling to get these on during dry conditions, I have to ask if there is anything better!? I've asked Honda Corp and the dealer and of course they stick with the manual specification. Has anyone chosen something better that fits this vehicle?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Banned
806 Posts
I guess I have to ask how you're going about putting them on and the issues you're having? I can put a set of chains on (both sides) in about 10 minutes from start to finish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I have to ask how you're going about putting them on and the issues you're having? I can put a set of chains on (both sides) in about 10 minutes from start to finish.
No special installation except these require manual adjustments on both inside/outside of tire during installation versus tighteners I'm used to. I also managed to install them in about 10 minutes (well, maybe more :) but there have to be better options than these for this car. Is the clearance that tight? I also wonder if the radial (all parallel) chains are the best for a car with ABS as this design means the tire isn't in continuous contact with the road, versus the z-style.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I just had to ask being that I have seen people seriously struggle with them and I have had to help them on numerous occasions. I have seen people try and lay them out, then drive over them which really doesn't work. I have always flopped them over the top of the tire and then scooted forward a little bit. I then will get the inside as tight as I can then get the outside as tight as I can. A majority of the time I can get them tight enough first try without having to tighten them some more after driving a short distance.

Was wondering if the item in the link below would help you with your application? A couple of bungees (those black flat ones) stretched in a criss cross pattern would probably work as well. It is actually what I use with chains. See link at bottom. Not sure if length is right for CR-V wheel however. Just an example as to what to look for. And if you do go that route hook the hook pointing out, so it isn't digging into your tire. I only mention that because I have seen it where people don't pay attention to the direction.

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Chain-QG20074-Traction-Tightener/dp/B000CQ6DJO/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000CQ6DJO&pd_rd_r=PWD31XX5DDTSRQMF6DPM&pd_rd_w=oviwP&pd_rd_wg=MnFNd&psc=1&refRID=PWD31XX5DDTSRQMF6DPM

https://www.amazon.com/Kotap-MBRS-15-Rubber-15-Inch-10-Piece/dp/B00DPLM392/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1486869633&sr=8-7&keywords=tarp+straps

In regards to your abs question, I personally don't think that it matters. Not sure if I quit understand what you're referencing in regards to clearance.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Buy a set of Studless Ice/snow tires. I have used them to plow snow on my truck on Beech Mountain, NC when we had very heavy snow. Never had problem and good on Ice. Rubber never will freeze and wears fast in summer so take off. Have not ever used chains in NC snows up to 13".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone use Z-chains? There are areas (the steepest mountain passes) where ladder type chains, like the TC2212MMs are not allowed, out here in the West. I'm talking about severe conditions, and I'm not going to run studded or winter tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts