Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 honda crv awd w 20k. when i go from dry pavement to a patch of snow or ice the right rear of the car slides out. i had the same problem last year and replaced the tires recently. anyone having similar issues? Dealer cannot find any problems,

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Since it is always the "right rear sliding out" I'm assuming it is sliding to the right. (sliding off the crown of the road) Is that correct? I would say that you probably have some of the PULL TO THE RIGHT (or LEFT) problem under normal conditions. Is that correct? When your alignment is out the car is trying to pull one way or the other and you are correcting by holding pressure on the wheel. Ice suddenly reduces the traction that is keeping the car in a straight line and the rear slides out. One other thing that I think may contribute to this problem is worn out differential fluid. How long has it been since you changed it. I say this because I had the same slippage problem which seems to have gone away since diff fluid was changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. Yes the rear end always slides to the right. i had the same issue with 5k miles on the car (last year). replaced the tires and had an alignment (2 wks ago) and have the same problem. the car only has 20k on it...not sure when the differential fluid should be replaced (since i had the issue with 5k, i don't think that is the issue). i can be on a back road going 35 or a highway at 70 the back end moves when i go from dry pavement to snow/ice.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thank you for the response. Yes the rear end always slides to the right. i had the same issue with 5k miles on the car (last year). replaced the tires and had an alignment (2 wks ago) and have the same problem. the car only has 20k on it...not sure when the differential fluid should be replaced (since i had the issue with 5k, i don't think that is the issue). i can be on a back road going 35 or a highway at 70 the back end moves when i go from dry pavement to snow/ice.
Your right, one would not expect diff trouble at 5 or 20 k. It's got to be alignment. There was a thread on this forum about getting alignment done on the CRV and it explained how the guy had it done 3 times before an alignment mechanic (if I remember rightly) found the problem and set it right. I can't find the thread now, I expect it was not labeled so that it can be easily searched. Do you have to put any pressure on the wheel to keep the car from veering off the lane when you are on a road surface that is crowned? (usually pulls to the right)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your right, one would not expect diff trouble at 5 or 20 k. It's got to be alignment. There was a thread on this forum about getting alignment done on the CRV and it explained how the guy had it done 3 times before an alignment mechanic (if I remember rightly) found the problem and set it right. I can't find the thread now, I expect it was not labeled so that it can be easily searched. Do you have to put any pressure on the wheel to keep the car from veering off the lane when you are on a road surface that is crowned? (usually pulls to the right)
Thank you for your response. The car had a 2 wheel alignment when i had the new tires installed (about 2 months ago). The car does not veer (or pull).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have 4 snow tires on the vehicle? Are the tires all the same size / brand / type and inflated correctly?
thank you for your response. yes...had the tires that came with the crv (continentals), approx 2 months ago had all season michelin defender tires installed...sames size etc. same problem...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I think you should get a 4 wheel alignment, or at least get it checked that way. Did your old tires show any unusual wear?
4 wheel alignment is pretty standard on a CRV.
From what you stated, it sure sounds like an alignment problem.
Reason being is that one tire or more is fighting its alignment when on a dry road, but when the traction gets lower, that wheel(s) goes to its true alignment.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts