Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that just about every, except those on the most western and southern most regions, have expereince a good solid 12-20"+ snow storm, let us know you experiences, what model CR-V and what tires you have.

2009 EX 4WD, 14k miles, original OEM Continentals.

We recieved a record 18" (for this area) on Tuesday night with drifts in town from 3' - 6' deep (10 drifts in the country). Most roads are only a single lane with 3' snow banks on both sides. (probably a normal snow event for the Northeast). The CR-V made short work of 12-15" " deep ruts and snow banks at intersections. The high front end and descent ground clearance worked well. The RT-AWD... not as good a a 50/50 lock, but it kicked in as needed and gave me that extra bit of traction to climb over the banks and ruts as needed.

I saw my neighbor almsot get stuck in his brand new FWD Kia Sorento. So ground cleanrance wasn't everything and clearly the RT-AWD made a difference. So I think AWD is a good substitute and compromise for snow tires and FWD when you're in a climate that for only a dozen days a year has hard packed snow or ice on most roads, but does frequently recieved 6"+ of snow in a single snowstorm.

My wife's Nissan Altima OTOH, with it's low ground clearance. Well, it hasn't moved from the driveway until this morning. I didn't want to risk it getting stuck. I suspect the lower part of the front fascia is compeltly packed after my wife drove it to work this morning. She's due for new tires before next winter. The OEM continnetals on her car are definitely showing their age after 18k miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A fellow Iowan! (Or Iowainian)
We didn't get hit that bad in Des Moines 7-8" of snow, but some good drifts around.
We had bought a used 2008 EX 4WD (Royal Blue) in 2009 for my wife. The snow performance if it was phenomenal. That's one of the reasons I just replaced my 97 Blazer with a new 2011 CR-V (SE 4WD Tango Red). Both still have the stock continental tires and do great in the snow. My new tires did excellent on the ice we had back on 12/31 as well. As long as I didn't get too aggressive on the throttle that is.

Go have some fun with your V, turn off the traction control (VSA, stability assist, whatever you want to call it) and see how it behaves with some donuts in an open parking lot.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not much snow here in the DC area. Last Wednesday (think it was Jan 26??) roads were super slippery--Took some people 14 + hrs to get home, many had to abandon thier vehicles as the roads were that slippery! Of course many of these cars had summer tires or worn out All seasons i would gather! Our 2011 CRV 4x4 with OEM bridge stones had no problems at all. Luckily we had our GPS and was able to weeve our way through neighborhood side roads and was not a problem at all. Was fun seeing people with their $$$$$ sports cars spinning away on flat ground going nowhere.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rather than racing an Odessey it's fun to out maneuver 300+hp mustangs and camaros in the white stuff that the V just loves. Confident forward or rearward motion on a/s tires and turning off the vsa when it gets too easy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
20 inches here on south side of Chicago. I went out at about 8pm during the blizzard. Had a blast in the V, i think for the most fun, turning off VSA is the way to go. Found a lot that had 1 set of tire tracks through it. I was gonna try it and went in a few feet, but the snow was too deep on the stock Conti's with 16,000 miles on them. I chickened out lol. The little bit of side streets i did drive on though was no problem, drove easily through 12 inch snow piles. Some pics:

·
Registered
22 Posts
New Jersey here. Snow every week is no problem. Even after a surprise 18 inch snow storm, I was only 15 minutes late for work. Thanks, Honda!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to report that my driveway was too much for my V. I don't feel too bad as we had a nice "layer cake" of 1+ inch of ice, 4-5 inches of snow, 2 inches of sleet topped with 4-5 inches of snow. It made it through that with no problem, it took a drift of about 18 inches to stop me.
I'm running on Yokohama Avid Envigors with about 6,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We got some fresh snow tonight, just one day after I picked up my new 2011 LX 4WD. Returning home from downtown Toronto, my wife and I decided to see how the CR-Vs stability, traction, and 4WD capabilities performed with the infamous Bridgestone Duelers.

On pavement with about 1/2 inch of fresh, dry snow, the rear wheel drive activates on a moderately fast start from rest. The car pulled straight, with a tiny bit slip until the rear drive got traction. Once moving, the 4WD was effective. The car was sure-footed.

On the same pavement conditions, I took a corner to the right at a higher speed that I would have with my Hakkapeliita-equipped Crown Victoria. The computer instantly got the outer anti-lock brakes working. The CR-V swung a bit wide in its arc, but never slid.
Word from the wife: Wow!

I haven't tried it in deep snow or on ice yet.

I've had a Jeep, two Land Rovers, and a Land Cruiser. I found that although their old-style 4WD systems pulled well from rest, turns on snow were unpredictable. The CR-V ends that problem. It must be Snowmobile-like with winter tires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've been driving on Blizzaks all winter with no problem. It is not as stable tracking as the Pilot but more stable than a Wrangler. Especially on the highway in a blizzard at speeds above 40.

Traction control rarely kicks in with the blizzaks. I don't think the rear wheels are ever helping out as it feels like a front driver. The only thing that would stop it is lack of ground clearance and this is an unlikely situation on the road. My only complaints are as folows;

1). Windshield tends to ice up on the edges during blizzards.
2). Engine needs more power especially torque. The turbo from the RDX would be a nice option. When you try and execute passing manuevers on the highway, especially in metro traffic, you really got to plan ahead with this vehicle.
3). The seats are uncomfortable and the headrests intrude into the back of your head. The seat backs bounce a lot over road irregularities.
4). The rear windshield wiper will freeze up during blizzards and not move.
Mine froze in the 12 o'clock position mid stroke.

Oddly, these little quirks give it character like the old VW Beetles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts