Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Looking to put snow tires on my 2018 CRV EX-L. last year was my first winter and didn't like the feel on all weather stock tires. Over the summer I bought four rims (Actual Honda rims) so it will look good. Was reading reviews on Blizzak by Bridgestone anyone use them on their CRV and have an opinion?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
911 Posts
I would recommend Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 if available in your region. Better than Blizzak WS-somethings I had.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
570 Posts
Just a reminder, snow tires are for snow only, and will not work well in warmer weather. If you put snow tires on your car, you will need to have an extra set of wheels with all season or summer tires on them for the warmer months.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Just a reminder, snow tires are for snow only, and will not work well in warmer weather. If you put snow tires on your car, you will need to have an extra set of wheels with all season or summer tires on them for the warmer months.
Oh yes. The softest ones leave skid marks on the pavement just idling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Continental makes a really nice snow tire - the VikingContact7. But I agree - seperate rims (w/ tpms sensors) are best option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats why i bought the extra rims to switch off in Nov... and put back in April. Here in Upstate nY we have a long winter... THanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 5 years on Blizzak WS80's, and will use them for one more season. The traction is incredible for the 'top half' of the tread, but as it wears the compound in the lower half is more hard, and it becomes more like a normal snow tire. I'm in central British Columbia where we have lots of ice and snow. Pricing was very attractive through Costco when purchased, and I'd buy again if they're still competitively priced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will it be better if you purchase an all-season tire? This will help you save a couple of bucks since it is an all-year around tire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will it be better if you purchase an all-season tire? This will help you save a couple of bucks since it is an all-year around tire.
Im on alll seasons now (Factory) but they give me confidence i need when driving. Last year when it snowed I, honestly dont know when the all wheel kicks in etc not like my old trucks when i pushed a button and knew i was in all wheel drive. I feltwhen turning id lose control. I hope by putton snows in the winter months id feel better

·
Registered
284 Posts
8846C394-3D3A-440F-9DDA-922613F94426.jpeg
Im on alll seasons now (Factory) but they give me confidence i need when driving. Last year when it snowed I, honestly dont know when the all wheel kicks in etc not like my old trucks when i pushed a button and knew i was in all wheel drive. I feltwhen turning id lose control. I hope by putton snows in the winter months id feel better
JBUENAVIDES may be speaking of all weather tires. They are classified as snow tires but for year round use. They also have very good tread life and are fine in the summer. I have lots of experience with the Nokian WRG3 on earlier vehicles and went to the newer Nokian WRG4 on the CRV, selling the OEM tires so no annual tire changes for me. I had them up north This winter in deep snow and CRV performed well. They are also great on the highway in the summer. Nokian is not the only brand, there are several to choose from but be aware there is a difference between all season and all weather tires.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Blizzaks have 55% snow 'compound' and 45% all season compound. In essence your are paying a lot of money for 55% of a snow tire.

I'm a Nokian fan (Hakka 8's) but the Nokian WRG4 are excellent (like NUKE commented).

Michelin and Toyo make excellent studless snow tires as well.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
In most of the snow tire tests Nokians usually win. Michelin's often second. The word on Blizzaks is that their snow performance fades pretty quickly with mileage.

·
Registered
284 Posts
All weather tires such as Nokian WRG4 meet the basic requirements of snow tires and are classified as Snow tires. For those living outside the brutal snow belts (such as I am in southern Ontario) they are great. They don’t provide quite the traction of the top tier snow tires in the deepest snow but our vehicles have awd so this is not an issue and they likely match less expensive snow tires . There are superior in ice braking and certainly in cold weather they provide plenty of traction. Many are unaware of all weather vs all seasons. Very nice to avoid seasonal changes and a big bonus is when the unexpected snow storm comes in November before most have changed over their tires. For Canadians driving south in the winter these provide plenty of traction in a snow storm and handle nicely with plenty of tread life in the hot weather. Win win imo.

·
Registered
911 Posts
All weather tires such as Nokian WRG4 meet the basic requirements of snow tires and are classified as Snow tires. For those living outside the brutal snow belts (such as I am in southern Ontario) they are great. They don’t provide quite the traction of the top tier snow tires in the deepest snow but our vehicles have awd so this is not an issue and they likely match less expensive snow tires . There are superior in ice braking and certainly in cold weather they provide plenty of traction. Many are unaware of all weather vs all seasons. Very nice to avoid seasonal changes and a big bonus is when the unexpected snow storm comes in November before most have changed over their tires. For Canadians driving south in the winter these provide plenty of traction in a snow storm and handle nicely with plenty of tread life in the hot weather. Win win imo.
I have one of the best All Weather tires on my van (Michelin Cross Climate). Can't imagine using them in actual snowy winter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have one of the best All Weather tires on my van (Michelin Cross Climate). Can't imagine using them in actual snowy winter.
With AWD we do have plenty of traction as compared to your van. My only experiences are with Nokian WRG3 on an Awd XTrail for several years and on the CRV in my area and a couple of trips this past winter up North through Huntsville, North Bay, Algonquin Park, Ottawa with a foot of snow (25 cm), no issues, vehicle handled fine. Now if you live in the mountains you may truly need pure snow tires.

·
Registered
911 Posts
AWD brakes just as bad as 2WD.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts