Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
You guys do realize most people use all weather tires most of the time. It's about how much snow and knowing how to drive more than anything. Obviously not as good as snow tires but I have never owned snow tires and driven in the worst the midwest has thrown at me.

Now if you want an easy solution, buy tires like cooper Discoverer at3 4s, toyo open county at3 or similar all terrain. Not overly aggressive, not overly noisy, last as long as all seasons but also severe winter condition rated.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You guys do realize most people use all weather tires most of the time. It's about how much snow and knowing how to drive more than anything. Obviously not as good as snow tires but I have never owned snow tires and driven in the worst the midwest has thrown at me.

Now if you want an easy solution, buy tires like cooper Discoverer at3 4s, toyo open county at3 or similar all terrain. Not overly aggressive, not overly noisy, last as long as all seasons but also severe winter condition rated.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I guess for me its how I feel on the tires, I mean since living in the NE (Albany NY) are was confident on all seasons with the pilot and other four wheels drives, I dont know if its the way the all wheel drive kicked in for those or how light the CRV is but I dont have this confidence in a few inches of snow to a foot as we sometimes get. This is why i thought id go with the snow tires, im not looking at studded dont like the noise. but for the dozen or so times ill need it, hopefully ill get the confidence

·
Registered
340 Posts
None of the current snow/winter tires are bad, but they're a bit different from each other. The worst actual winter tires will be better in bad conditions than the best all weather tires.

I have two sets of tires and wheels and swop them as needed.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Why would you recommend all weather tires for (snowy) winter?
Consumer reports tested tires and all weather tires performed well in the snow and were superior in dry and wet braking, handling, and tire wear.. its a good option/compromise for many who want the convenience of running the same tires and wheels all year... its just another option that may fit the needs of many consumers..

Consumer reports snow traction test:

These are the average distances that it took for a car to reach 20 mph in moderately packed snow.

Winter/snow: 58 feet
All-weather: 64 feet
All-season: 76 feet
Performance all-season: 90 feet

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Consumer reports tested tires and all weather tires performed well in the snow and were superior in dry and wet braking, handling, and tire wear.. its a good option/compromise for many who want the convenience of running the same tires and wheels all year... its just another option that may fit the needs of many consumers..

Consumer reports snow traction test:

These are the average distances that it took for a car to reach 20 mph in moderately packed snow.

Winter/snow: 58 feet
All-weather: 64 feet
All-season: 76 feet
Performance all-season: 90 feet

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Thanks I just read the write up in the 2019 CR about the tires they recommend.im glad people here comment though because they aren't specific to CRV etc

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you don't see bad conditions very often then an all weather tire may work.

I have a 1000ft elevation gain to get to town, the first 4 miles are steep on our private dirt road. So while the all weather tires would be better than summer tires, they don't match the abilities of the winter tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HI Looking to put snow tires on my 2018 CRV EX-L. last year was my first winter and didn't like the feel on all weather stock tires. Over the summer I bought four rims (Actual Honda rims) so it will look good. Was reading reviews on Blizzak by Bridgestone anyone use them on their CRV and have an opinion?

Thanks in advance
Hi, I live in Vermont. This is my experience.
I have a 2015 CRV-EX. (Great Car) I had two sets of rims. It required changing twice a year and finding a place in my small garage to store them.
This winter I replaced all 8 of those tires with Michelin Crossclimate +. They worked great in the winter, are quiet in all seasons, don't hydroplane in heavy rain, and were about the same price as any other tires. Costco installed them and filled them with Nitrogen to keep inflation constant with temperature change. I sold the rims and snow tires which saved a lot of money.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use the Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15 all year. I’ve had them
On my Jeep for over 40K and lots of tread left. I had to put them in my 2017 CRV. Great on dry surfaces and are great in the rain and exceptional in snow. Also so much more quiet than the stock tires. Many reviews on these tires on YouTube and I’m yet to see a bad review! Good luck folks and be safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess for me its how I feel on the tires, I mean since living in the NE (Albany NY) are was confident on all seasons with the pilot and other four wheels drives, I dont know if its the way the all wheel drive kicked in for those or how light the CRV is but I dont have this confidence in a few inches of snow to a foot as we sometimes get. This is why i thought id go with the snow tires, im not looking at studded dont like the noise. but for the dozen or so times ill need it, hopefully ill get the confidence
I'm in your neck of the woods and have been through three winters in a 2017 EX. Started using all season General Altimax RT 43's on my Civic SI when I had to drive around all day between Albany and Saratoga rain, shine or snow before I retired. Put them on the CRV after the first winter and they have been very good. I drive between Albany and Lake George a couple times a week year round and have never had a problem. This past winter I came down the Northway from LG during that heavy, wet snow that had trees down all over the road and, while I sure had to pay attention, I never really had a problem. That's all anecdotal, of course, but I'm not convinced that dedicated snow tires are needed in this area unless maybe you're up in the hill towns or southern Adirondacks. I will be replacing them before the snow flies this winter; will have over 40K miles on them by then. Not familiar with all weather tires so will need to at least look into them, but will probably go back to Altimax at Tire Warehouse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI Looking to put snow tires on my 2018 CRV EX-L. last year was my first winter and didn't like the feel on all weather stock tires. Over the summer I bought four rims (Actual Honda rims) so it will look good. Was reading reviews on Blizzak by Bridgestone anyone use them on their CRV and have an opinion?

Thanks in advance
I have a 2017 AWD CRV. I bought 17” Blizztacs and rims for them a year ago. They work great. I drive a lot around Tahoe in the winter and Tahoe typically gets a set heavy snow. The Blizztacks are great! I put them on when I go up and take them off when Iget home - Sacramento.
Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks in advance
The stock tires on the CRV were fine for mileage but really were not very good in winter weather and ultimately were not all that good even on dry pavement after around 10,000 miles. I chose to use 4 studded Arctic Claw tire on the stock rims. They transform the Honda into a tractor in snow. I bought Motegi Racing wheels for summer and put on a set of Goodyear Eagle all season touring tires. Again, an amazing transformation of the Honda into a much better handling SUV. good luck.

·
Registered
2004 Crv Ex
6 Posts
Toyo Observe GSI-5 is a great snow tire but it is by no means an all season tire! It's for snow, ice, slush and cold weather only. Try Toyo Extensa A/S 2 it's a very good all season tire and does well in light snow.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thanks in advance
Yes I used them on my 2007 RAV4 and last winter on the exact car you have. Surprisingly seemed quieter than the stock all seasons.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks in advance
I've used Blizzaks (separate rims) on my wife's CR-V for years here in Colorado (I'm from upstate NY) & she can really tell the difference. The compound in all season tires gets too hard in winter & don't grip well. The downside for snow tires is they wear at a faster rate when the temp gets above 50 degrees.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks in advance
Last winter I put a set of Hercules Avalanche RT winter tires. Great aggressive tread design and with the sipes of the Blizzak. They were like night and day compared to the OEM all seasons that the car came with. If you can find them where you live, I would definitely look at them, plus are less than the Blizzak.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used the Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires on several CR-V's and they are fantastic. Best rated snow tire there is. Noisy but they will go through anything and they are excellent on ice. Nokian also makes a mountain -snowflake rated all season tire which I put on my wife's CR-V and they are also excellent but , like any snow tire, they heve limited longevity, especially in hot weather.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't even think about studded tires! They are better on ice close to the freezing temperature, but terrible in every other condition. Plus they do terrible damage to the road.

I used to have snow tires and swapped them out for summer tires. Snow tires don't last more than a few years since once the tread has worn, and it wears fast, the advantage is gone. And, snow tires perform poorly in the rain and on dry pavement. I now run all season tires and have had no problems driving in Washington State mountains, which I do a lot. I find being both careful and thoughtful about how I drive in difficult conditions keeps me out of trouble. Of course the experience of being stupid a few times and getting stuck has given me the experience and judgment to stay out of trouble.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just a reminder, snow tires are for snow only, and will not work well in warmer weather. If you put snow tires on your car, you will need to have an extra set of wheels with all season or summer tires on them for the warmer months.
I think that's why the OP bought 4 rims to mount the snows on, which is what I did when I lived in Portland so I wouldn't have to pay to have the tires swapped out each season. Easier and cheaper to just jack the vehicle and swap the wheels yourself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Don't even think about studded tires! They are better on ice close to the freezing temperature, but terrible in every other condition. Plus they do terrible damage to the road.

I used to have snow tires and swapped them out for summer tires. Snow tires don't last more than a few years since once the tread has worn, and it wears fast, the advantage is gone. And, snow tires perform poorly in the rain and on dry pavement. I now run all season tires and have had no problems driving in Washington State mountains, which I do a lot. I find being both careful and thoughtful about how I drive in difficult conditions keeps me out of trouble. Of course the experience of being stupid a few times and getting stuck has given me the experience and judgment to stay out of trouble.
I had studded Toyo snow tires on my Accord and it was fine going up to Mt. Hood as well as driving on the freeways and streets. While most others in Portland were slipping and sliding since they were too cheap to put snows on and just used their all-weather tires, I was going around them easily and driving at normal freeway speeds on I-84, etc. with no problems in handling, etc. Of course, I was careful with braking and such. After moving back to Hawaii, I kept the Toyos on but had to pull out all the studs because I wanted to use them up since my all-season tires were more worn. They worked fine on dry and wet pavement just like all-season tires. Of course, because of the slightly softer compound, they did wear out faster than regular all-weather tires.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts