Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Nokian, always for me. And just to be clear, IMO winter tires are about stopping and control, not so much “going”.

I run Nokian summer tires as well.
My wife has Blizzaks on her ‘15 Fit, I don’t like them.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
561 Posts
what I did when I lived in Portland
Not Portland Oregon? I'm thinking of moving up there, and the locals I know all tell me that it never snows, except for that 1 post-apocalyptic day per year, and then nobody goes to work because nobody there wants to drive on snow. I laugh when I hear that because I like driving on snow.

IMO winter tires are about stopping and control, not so much “going”.
It's for not getting stuck too. Tire chains are required in many areas, but they are clearly only to prevent from getting stuck, not for stopping or control. How do I know? 4wd cars are not required to use chains, but 2wd cars are. Last I checked, 2 and 4wd variants of the same models both have identical 4 wheel braking, yet only 2 wheel DRIVE cars are required to use chains.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
Moving to Tire section.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in the NW Michigan snow belt, with 120”/yr annual snowfall. The Michelin Defender LTX works fine for us, no they are not snow tires but IMO work well in all conditions and can run them all year long. Have had previous versions of this tire (M/S2 LTX...I think?) on 4WD pick-up trucks and full size SUV’s and was very happy with them.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
I ran those same tires on my F250 4X4, and was very happy with them in every way. When I go for new tires on the V, I will go for Michelins again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to see a lot of suggestions for winter tires and also some for reconsideration to just install a set of all-season/all-weather tires. I was in that kind of dilemma before. Using all-season tires sounds practical because of the versatility, but I think there still some compromise with its efficiency in the snowy period or areas. I've decided to use Celsius Toyo tires though, I'm satisfied with its traction and handling in snow and it is also decent to use even in a regular basis.

·
Registered
'08 CRV EX, White daughter's new ride......I just get to fill it up and maintain it.
54 Posts
Phunny- one of the questions I didn't see is where and how much do you drive? Just south of Albany yes got it. Are you on thruway, northway, I-90 or local roads and how many miles per year do you average. All the winter tires I've had have a "snow wear bar" at about 6/32" because of lack of tread depth for the snow so all should be replaced around then, but, pending mileage/use that's 4-5 seasons when swapped. All my cars have extra rims with snows.

I've done Nokian many models (Hak10 hak1, Hak SUV, WR, WRG2, RSI), Blizzak (WS70, WS80) General Altimax Arctic and Arctic 12, Gislaved Nordfrost a couple versions, Michelin X-ice a couple versions), Continental ExtremeWinterContact, SI, Viking contact7, Cooper Weathermaster,

They all have pros and cons. Highway commute- Michelin X-ice version (has treadwear warranty, quiet, handles like all season, good ice, not as good in deeper wet slushy snow IMO), Blizzaks are great but spongy, noisy in wet from all the siping etc. Wear fast and noticeably worse after 1/2 tread 6/32" and multicell is gone. Altimax Arctic 12 on '04 CRV was great and confidence inspiring in all conditions including deep snow. All my Nokians were good in all conditions as well as my Continentals

'19 Pilot and '07 Sonata currently use Continental Winter Contact Si and have been real good in deeper snow/ice and quiet highway (noticeably quieter than stock Bridgestone Dueler on Pilot). They seem to be wearing well. My son's 2010 KIA Forte (front wheel drive) has the VikingContact7. His friends were all stuck in an icy parking area including one with an all season wearing Forester. He picked them up for class with no issues. The 2 decent snows we had they worked well before plows came but it was a mild winter for more experiences but he feels confident with them and so do I.

I tried to squeeze an extra season out of my Nokian WR's one year. They had 4-5/32" and it was a cold dryer snowy day. Probably only 2nd time time in 35+ years driving that I experienced the white knuckle, slip/slide, stay in semi clear tire tracks lane and still wasn't comfortable. I did the credit card thing next day and paid off.

The only tires I didn't really like were the Firestone Winterforce on friends car. Very noisy and didn't seem to good on the drives I tried in snow/ice, BUT they were still better than all seasons.

Other parts to consider- most newer winter tires are directional and you can't cross rotate (only front>back) to even out wear patterns if that's an issue. Many of the All-Weather are asymmetrical and have outside/inside but can cross rotate.

Check Tirerack for the snows and grand touring all seasons (they have the all Weather like Vredestein, CrossClimate+, Weatheready) and they have video's with winter tests. All Weather not bad pending your conditions. My '93 Corolla on Nokian WR left MANY 4WD and AWD trucks and SUV's behind starting from snowy/icy intersections.

·
Registered
'08 CRV EX, White daughter's new ride......I just get to fill it up and maintain it.
54 Posts
I live in the NW Michigan snow belt, with 120”/yr annual snowfall. The Michelin Defender LTX works fine for us, no they are not snow tires but IMO work well in all conditions and can run them all year long. Have had previous versions of this tire (M/S2 LTX...I think?) on 4WD pick-up trucks and full size SUV’s and was very happy with them.
Michelin has the LTX Winter also now. Same tread pattern but with a winter compound.

Wifes '19 Pilot has the Defender LTX M/S for her 3 season. We both like them but got them for other conditions. Winter is currently Continental WinterContact Si.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX 1.5T AWD
2 Posts
Continental makes a really nice snow tire - the VikingContact7. But I agree - seperate rims (w/ tpms sensors) are best option.
First time post, love this forum!

Correct me if I misunderstand it but Honda uses Indirect TPMS, so there's no sensor in the wheel?

NM- I read through the entire thread, thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
been using winter tires since 2010. i won't have a car without them. i've had the following winter tires on various vehicles: michelin x-ice x2. blizzak WS60 & WS80, hankook i-pike, blizzak DMV. any winter tire will be better than an all season tire in winter conditions. i'm getting ready to purchase winter tires for my newly acquired '14 cr-v. just picked up a set of honda 16" chrome rims from an accord. just need lugs and tires to do the swap in december.

the biggest difference in winter tires vs. all season is the braking performance. sure, all season can get you moving. winter tires will get you moving quicker and with less wheel spin. all season tires will slow you car down on snow. winter tires will do it better and in a shorter distance. all season on ice are useless, where as winter tires will make a huge improvement in all the categories listed above. and FWD, AWD, 4WD - none of them brake any better than the other one.

i liken all season tires to a tennis shoe. sure, you can walk in the snow, run on the track, and go hike in them. but, how many of you use boots in winter? how many use hiking shoes when hiking? track athletes use track shoes for a reason. and if an investment of $500-$800 will give me piece of mind when i'm slowing at a busy intersection in the winter so i can stop short of sliding into it, just 20 feet, i'm ok with that. i stop, the ones with the all season slide into it. they also allow you to maneuver around other cars sliding around much better.

girlfriend has 4wd SUV. i have a '14 civic. my driveway faces north, and it's uphill. when it ices here, she has to park at the bottom, i pull up and into the garage. winter tires are just better hands down.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
girlfriend has 4wd SUV. i have a '14 civic. my driveway faces north, and it's uphill. when it ices here, she has to park at the bottom, i pull up and into the garage. winter tires are just better hands down.
Driveway is simple, you can also park on the street if it gets bad but climbing 7+ degree icy inclines on regular roads is completely undoable with all seasons.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts