Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my 2012 CR-V EX-L and am going to lease a 2015 CR-V LX model. For the 2012 I purchased snow tires size 225/65R17 and have used them for 3 winters but they are in excellent shape. With the new model the tire size is 215/70R16 and the dealer informed me that my old winter tires wouldn't fit on my new vehicle. I asked could I just buy rims for my old snow tires and put them on the new vehicle and they said they were too wide. I was a little confused as if I had of stayed with the same model the EX-L my old snow tires would still fit but aren't the LX and the EX-L the same vehicle except for the all the additions on the EX-L? Does what the dealer is telling me make sense? Let me know.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Why not just slap the rims with the tires on the LX ?
Thats just a standard size for the EXL correct?
Upsizing/down sizing with stock sizes a will not hurt any thing. But in winter it's usually best to narrow as possible.
They're just trying to sell you new tires.
On our '15 Touring we put our old '14 LX winter tires and rims on, 215/70/16 but I did check just to be safe with dealer lol.
The 225's taller rim but shorter sidewall make up the difference for the 215's higher side wall, shorter rim.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I agree with Jaari, the dealer is just trying to sell you another set of tires. 1 inch difference should not make a big difference. As long as the old rims you have from your 2012 does not hit the calipers in the front & have enough space for the wheel arches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My winter tire from my 2012 fit my 2014 ... have are 225/65R17 ... check tirerack and the optional size of winter tires was the 215/70R16...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts