Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my previous (for 4 months) EX and my current EX-L ride like an empty dump truck. Is there anything aftermarket that will soften the suspension a little bit? I don't want Buick wallow but this thing is rough.

Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
CRV has a soft ride from factory...Do you have back issues?

You can do a few things:
-get a seat cushion
-get fatter tires
-drop a few psi on your tires

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
some tires are better than others with ride ,the only change I would do is tires and 32 PSI in tires ,sometimes putting 200 LBS in the back helps it ride better not sure on the 2017

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I agree, check the tire pressures first.
Use the pressure on the driver's door sill, not the pressure listed on the sides of the tires.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Both my previous (for 4 months) EX and my current EX-L ride like an empty dump truck. Is there anything aftermarket that will soften the suspension a little bit? I don't want Buick wallow but this thing is rough.

Thanks.
What tire pressure are you running at right now?

My 2017 felt overly firm when I took delivery, then I checked the tire pressure and they were still set at 40+lbs from the factory (they ship them this way, probably to help limit movement in shipping and hold down cables loosening in transit). Once I set them to proper pressure... the ride was much better. [These were Hankook tires]

Honestly... this is the best riding CRV generation I have owned.

Personally, I would not make any modifications to the vehicle as the suspension is tuned for optimal ride and handling in most conditions.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check your pressures. Correct tire pressures are 33 front and 30 REAR

If you go too far above these, the ride does suffer. Garages and tire shops even will air up your tire to 36/37 psi all around which is not helpful.

·
Registered
2018 Touring
214 Posts
Yeah if you compare the ride to a RAV4 or a CX-5 the CR-V is a lot softer. Also agree that stock tires are dead feeling even at normal pressure.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went camping with my 2019 and had it completely loaded, with a roof rack full of wood as well. I couldn't believe how different the ride was. I loved it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think any vehicle that is fully loaded will feel more smoother (suspension wise)... Like cruise ships, the bigger they are the less it will react to tide conditions. agree to previous posts... check tire preasures.... and when the time comes, change to softer set of tires.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figured the tire pressure @ delivery (to me) was best. They're probably @ 40+ pounds. I'll check that tonight. I have the Bridgestones. Previous '19 had the Hancooks. These seem to have better grip.

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Thanks.
My 2014 CRV has a stiff ride. My opinion on tire pressure to soften the ride: very little to no effect unless you are running WELL below recommended pressure. I run my tires at manufacturer's recommended 32 psi. Running more than a couple pounds of pressure below recommended will likely not influence ride quality very much if at all. It WILL reduce the life of your tires and more importantly seriously effect other handling characteristics, Perhaps some tires ride softer, true, I don't know from experience.

Honda makes the ride a bit stiff for a good eason I presume. 1.hauling capacity, passenger capacity, towing, etc. If you usually operate your car with just yourself and one other passenger I'd check out softer shocks from a trusted shop in your area, someone who won't BS to sell shocks. But first do more research to make sure this would not lead to more unexpected problems. Personally, I'd leave it alone. Try some research on "soft riding tires" first. This will be a bit of a mine field finding trusted sources of reliable info.

·
Registered
199 Posts

Thanks.
okay I own a 2017 e x and a 2019 x both with Bridgestone tires and I will tell you the 2017 had a perfect ride the 2019 feels like riding on metal sheeting it's horrible I even have the tire pressure 5 PSI below requirement it's horrible something has changed with the suspension I believe

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
okay I own a 2017 e x and a 2019 x both with Bridgestone tires and I will tell you the 2017 had a perfect ride the 2019 feels like riding on metal sheeting it's horrible I even have the tire pressure 5 PSI below requirement it's horrible something has changed with the suspension I believe
Are they the same Bridgestones on each.. or different?

·
Registered
40 Posts
10 years with CRVs: Put psi in tires 2 lbs lower than in the door plate. Only check tire psi after overnight cooling so the air temp and tire temp inside and out are all the same. Only replace struts with Honda OEM (which can be bought cheaper than at the dealer). For instance, aftermarket KYB struts will jolt you on every little imperfection in the road. Stay away from tires with high speed ratings. Saleman always assume you want 200mph tires and put on Zs which will not only give you an extremely hard ride, but will also make the road-tire noise unbearable in CRVs. Stick with S or T ratings, or maybe H max (which is higher than S or T)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've owned my 2017 for almost 2 years in October and I would say it is soft...... way too soft. What in the world are you guys looking for? It already has way too much body roll and brake dive for a modern mid-sized SUV. My suggestion would be to look for a more sedate and comfortable tire to start. The design of the CRV is already a balancing act of handling verses comfort where comfort is clearly winning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with monkeyman. I have an 11 crv. Thought it rode rough until I bought an 05 for my daughter. Even worse. I get these things are suvs. I love riding high. But how many folks take them off roading in mud and rocky trails? I suspect very few. I love these vehicles but feeling every small bump in the road gets old fast, especially if you're in the back seat. Ever tried using a smart phone while riding as a passenger? Surely the full-size suvs ride smooth. Why can't they make the mini suvs do the same? They're basically the same chassis as a civic, which rides a whole lot smoother. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked the tire pressures the other day after work (it had been sitting for 10+ hours). Here were the readings: FL 38/FR 38/RL 36/RR 42. At least the front 2 tires were the same. I lowered all of them to the door sticker specs. Slightly better ride but still a bit stiff and a little spongy. I'll add a pound or 2 to each tire this weekend and see if it works for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts