Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2017 CRV Touring March 28. Since then I have had two computer crashes, four false warnings on the display screen to "BRAKE," two low tire pressure warnings, and eight instances of my car trying to slow down and stay behind a car in a parallel lane that is no threat to me. I took it to a Honda dealer that found an error code and cleared it. After that I had fewer problems. On the way back from that repair I got a low tire pressure warning that I had also seen the day after I bought the car. I did call American Honda which was going to call me last week and did not. I just completed five hours of driving in one day and had no problems.
Here's a final issue. I was using the "following-the-car-ahead" program (ACC?) and saw that trafffic ahead was stopping on an interstate highway to gawk at an accident across the median. I decided to let my car sense the slower car ahead and slow to a stop. That was a mistake. It came up to the distance I had chosen (one bar) and braked suddenly to stop, as it is supposed to do. A pickup truck behind me didn't expect the sudden braking and nearly rear-ended me. I should have killed the ACC and slowed gradually. The car did nothing wrong.
Apparently, if you have an error code in the system (I am told mine was caused by using lane assist on a road that was too curving?) apparently the car has a nervous breakdown and will even crash its software. One time i started my car and all I saw on the screen was "Honda." I turned the car off and turned it back on. Another time I was 10 miles from home on a 130-mile trip and had just entered the interstate highway. I got brown warning messages for every system I have on the car, saying that system was off. I pulled off at the next exist, pulled into the grass on a side road, turned the car off, turned it back on, and the car was ok after that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Make Honda honor their warranty

Bad computer? It's bad luck but it can happen.

Be persistent and make them replace it. Don't be a victim after paying for a brand new car. Lemon laws?

In any case, make them do something.

Keep everything documented. Setup a dashcam to record your instrument cluster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: I had a ride with the service director at Hagerstown Honda. He had thought the problem of slowing was with approaching cars. We never got beside another car on a four- or six-lane highway where the problem might have been demonstrated. However, the problems occur less frequently and there have been no computer crashes since the system was rebooted by Hagerstown Honda. (On Google, I see there have been software problems with Hondas all the way back to 2009 but most are since 2013.) The 2017 Honda CRV-T Touring now slows less frequently and only occasionally gives a false text warning to "BRAKE."

THE NEW PROBLEM
When driving in snow and ice on newly salted roads, your radar sensors will become blocked. The car will tell you that in a text warning. You will not be able to use cruise control. You will not have automatic following. You will not have lane departure protection. You will not have automatic braking. All the warning will remain on the screen unless you hit the information button on the left side of the steering wheel enough times to return to a normal display--while driving in icing conditions in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
TPMS on hondas are always wonky and in major climate change you’ll throw codes.
You could also have bad sensors so you should ask them to change them all.
In our crv the dealer does nitro fill in all of them which i didnt want but argued them down to a few dollars on it but we have had 3 snowfalls gone from 70 to 20 degree ranges and driven it 2000 miles and zero issues on anything

As for the obstructed radar not working in snow id actually like it not to be on during snow
Who wants something pulling the wheel in inclimant weather.
You can also toggle the acc off and run regular cruise if you wanted ( no sensors required)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Honda has quietly begin offering software upgrades for free for the Honda CRV software problems I experienced. I had mine upgraded today and was the second driver to get it. It makes the radar sensor less sensitive and so far today have had no problems. Need to drive in snow and ice before it gets an “all clear.”

·
Registered
17 Posts
UPDATE: I had a ride with the service director at Hagerstown Honda. He had thought the problem of slowing was with approaching cars. We never got beside another car on a four- or six-lane highway where the problem might have been demonstrated. However, the problems occur less frequently and there have been no computer crashes since the system was rebooted by Hagerstown Honda. (On Google, I see there have been software problems with Hondas all the way back to 2009 but most are since 2013.) The 2017 Honda CRV-T Touring now slows less frequently and only occasionally gives a false text warning to "BRAKE."

THE NEW PROBLEM
When driving in snow and ice on newly salted roads, your radar sensors will become blocked. The car will tell you that in a text warning. You will not be able to use cruise control. You will not have automatic following. You will not have lane departure protection. You will not have automatic braking. All the warning will remain on the screen unless you hit the information button on the left side of the steering wheel enough times to return to a normal display--while driving in icing conditions in heavy traffic.
I had this problem driving up to McCall a few weeks back in slushy snow conditions, hadn't been using any of the safety features, but was slightly annoyed that a little freezing slop could disable them by coating the sensors in the grill. It would seem to be a 'simple' matter to put a heating element in the grill to come on with freezing weather. I stopped in a wide pullout cleaned it off and we were back on our way. Otherwise we are really enjoying our new Honda, the first since my Honda CT90 days.
Cheers,
LLG

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,575 Posts
I had this problem driving up to McCall a few weeks back in slushy snow conditions, hadn't been using any of the safety features, but was slightly annoyed that a little freezing slop could disable them by coating the sensors in the grill. It would seem to be a 'simple' matter to put a heating element in the grill to come on with freezing weather. I stopped in a wide pullout cleaned it off and we were back on our way. Otherwise we are really enjoying our new Honda, the first since my Honda CT90 days.
Cheers,
LLG
As an Fyi, "Manual" CC still operates. You have to disable ACC first by pressing the ACC distance control button for a second or two. It will tell you that ACC is disabled.
The fact that slushy snow will disable ACC is document on the 15 and 16. Caught me by surprise as well.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,058 Posts
UPDATE: Honda has quietly begin offering software upgrades for free for the Honda CRV software problems I experienced. I had mine upgraded today and was the second driver to get it. It makes the radar sensor less sensitive and so far today have had no problems. Need to drive in snow and ice before it gets an “all clear.”
Can you post the TSB regarding this update or scanned work ticket. If you post the scanned ticket be sure to black out personal and VIN information

1 - 8 of 8 Posts