Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CR-V
12 Posts
Regarding the strainer, you’re memory is doing pretty good. I just looked thru the ‘97 service manual, and the strainer is the first thing the fluid goes thru AFTER THE COOLER, as it enters the tranny. That means you could suck out the accumulated crud thru the skinny hose.
I confess, I’ve ‘reinvigorated’ my fuel filters a few times by blasting the crud out of them backwards, with air pressure, but in this case, suction would be more appropriate. o_O
BTW, in the ‘97 service manual, the tranny chapter is 207 pages long.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Regarding the strainer, you’re memory is doing pretty good. I just looked thru the ‘97 service manual, and the strainer is the first thing the fluid goes thru AFTER THE COOLER, as it enters the tranny. That means you could suck out the accumulated crud thru the skinny hose.
That's promising! I wonder if compressed air at some other point in the system would be enough to push the crud out.

Had I known this, I might have tried it on kiddo's Accord. I'm guessing the transmission is not much different. And I'm guessing that based on some of the buildup of goop in a few spots, I'm betting they didn't use DW-1 in there.

·
Registered
2001 CR-V
12 Posts
I added the pic of the Hydraulic Flow Diagram. Seems pretty clear that suction would be the safest method. If you hooked up your suction with clear Tygon hose, you’d know in a few seconds whether it was working. Just picture a mess of that black gunk you wipe off the drain plug magnet o_O
Don’t get that stuff on anything, even skin.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Do you know what ELD does?
As you said electronic load detector.
That part is the ring leader of the show. It senses load from electric system, that's the part that keeps the battery charged among other things. Lots of people buying new alternators and still no battery full charge.
My point is that it might not be putting enough juice in the system to let the transmission electronics to work properly.
Are all grounds clean? Bad grounds means bad electrical problems.

·
Registered
2000 Honda CR-V, 190,000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey all!

I will be replacing the linear solenoid tomorrow morning / early afternoon. I'll also do a quick drain and fill of the transmission after I am done. I will post the results here and let you all know how it goes, thanks for the continued support in a weird time!

·
Registered
2000 Honda CR-V, 190,000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi guys,

Linear solenoid replacement did the trick. Quick and easy repair, 4 bolts and a connector and it's done! Only lost a couple ounces of fluid and had some battery issues after not driving it for 3 months (surprise). But once I got the new solenoid installed and ran it for a bit, shifting smooth as silk and no loss of power, no blinking lights and the big trouble code is gone. Thank you all for the help!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi guys,

Linear solenoid replacement did the trick. Quick and easy repair, 4 bolts and a connector and it's done! Only lost a couple ounces of fluid and had some battery issues after not driving it for 3 months (surprise). But once I got the new solenoid installed and ran it for a bit, shifting smooth as silk and no loss of power, no blinking lights and the big trouble code is gone. Thank you all for the help!
That is great!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi guys,

Awesome to hear...Congrats!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I confess, I’ve ‘reinvigorated’ my fuel filters a few times by blasting the crud out of them backwards, with air pressure, but in this case, suction would be more appropriate. o_O
BTW, in the ‘97 service manual, the tranny chapter is 207 pages long.
View attachment 139110
What's up, Curly and Wildcat? Two very familiar names from Bing's old Hondasuv site. I miss that site as it was a treasure-trove of information.

I've been using Max-Life ATF in my '98 CRV and '05 Pilot for over seven years without a single issue. The CRV is approaching 285K miles and I'm in no hurry to replace the old girl as she's versatile, reliable as hell and still looks pretty damn good considering she's never been kept in a garage.

It's great to see some familiar "faces" from the old days on this board.

BTW, Curly, I'm looking forward to seeing the results from your transmission crud-sucking experiment ;)

Reactions: arudlang
21 - 30 of 30 Posts