Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new poster of today. I've been trolling for a little while now because I am inheriting my wife's 2009 CR-V. I was looking for a solution to the problem of uncomfortable drivers seat.

While driving I always feel that my gas pedal leg has no support. I always thought this was because the seat was not "bucket" enough and did not offer thigh support. I was even thinking of changing the seat for a racing seat that would have thigh support but I didn't want to lose the "short armrest" I had. Yes, the armrest is another problem.
But, Back to the original problem. I began to think that the reason I was uncomfortable was because "to me" it seemed the gas pedal was too easy to depress. I always felt that if I didn't pay attention my right foot would take the pedal to the floor without me even realizing it and that made me constantly pay attention to my leg. Made it very uncomfortable to drive. I was constantly readjusting myself to keep my leg from being in one position for too long.
I decided to see if making the gas pedal harder to press would help and surprise surprise, wow, it does make a huge difference. I found a short bungi cord and wrapped it around a stabilizer bar under the dash board (see my picture) so that it PULLED UP (PULLED UP!) on the pedal.

Wow, what a difference. My leg is totally comfortable now. I'm 6'0", 200 lbs. The car now feels like my old 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Hope this help someone...Good luck

2009 CR-V Gas Pedal Seat Problem.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am not sure that is safe or a good idea. But hey what do I know? I would think a pillow on the seat or a seat cover would be a better solution. Maybe the CR-V isn't for you. Let us know how that works out over time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the solution was a quick one. I checked the placement of the Bungi cords pretty carefully. I jiggled them around manually quite a bit and they have absolutely no place to go. I expect them to remain pretty stable over time. They cannot "jiggle" out of place as it would go against physics.

I have tried numerous pillows and gotten no luck. Pillows that serve elevate the drivers side leg thigh take my head too high in the car and...I don't like my head being too near the roof at all (talk about safey!). With the pillows the gas pedal still remained to easy to depress causing the driver leg stress.

A better solution would be a gas pedal that is adjustable to an individual drivers preference. Anyone know if that is possible to do with the CR-V? Adjust the pressure it takes to depress the gas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
With regards to your bungee cord fix for the gas pedal...
I have a 2013 CR-V and was having the EXACT same problem. I too thought my leg issues came from the seat.
I have ordered the Obus Forme seat and back support to help with the seat comfort...BUT, once I read your post I decided to give it a try.
Wow! You nailed it! A great fix and a huge difference in my driving comfort!!!
The only thing I did differently was to hook the bungee cord hooks onto that support bar instead of around the gas pedal bar.
My reasoning was that the support bar had "edges" and might bite into the bungee cord.
This way the hooks are up there and the bungee cord is running around the smooth bar to the gas pedal.
Either way, great idea that actually helps!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I can remember having the same problem with our 2007. I found that if I rest the outside of my right foot on the "hump" edge I get similar relief from the "standing with one foot on the gas syndrome". I like your solution better because I sometimes find it hard to get my foot set soon enough and your way solves the problem for anyone else who may use the car. Perhaps Hondas designers did not understand 6' 200lb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar experience coming to a crv from an older Saab. Saab’s had probably the most comfortable seat in the business. For me, I found the Honda seat was too flat. I wanted the part near the knee to be lifted higher. So the way I addressed that was by cutting and fitting a 3/4” piece of foam under the seat cushion. This made the angle of the seat more lifted in the front. Huge improvement! Anyway. Here is a little video that shows what I did. Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I was sitting here thinking, "Why not just use the seat controls to adjust the height of the front of the seat?" Then I remembered that not all CR-Vs have power seats. Our EX-Ls have power seats, so no seat modifications are necessary, and I have found numerous ways to set the seat to be comfortable on our long road trips.

What bothered me in my '97 CR-V is that the length of the lower seat cushion is too short. Maybe in Japan their thigh length is shorter? I am not all that tall but these cushions do not fully support the leg nearly up to the knees like they need to. Our '99 Acura TL was the first Honda product I'd ever owned that had full lower seat cushions, and they were some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in. It's surprising how much a few inches of additional bottom seat cushion length goes towards seating comfort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Some fancier cars have extensions built into the seat bottom to make them longer.
I do like the LX version of the crv for its simplicity, but the lack of seat controls and lack of lumbar adjustment is a sad trade off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts