Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2002 Honda CR-V EX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 CR-V AWD automatic - 150k miles

Noticing that my original OEM front struts were leaking oil, and in an attempt to get rid of the 'squawk' when abruptly compressing the front end (pot holes/rough road), I decided to replace the front struts with a pair of Gabriel (G57085/84) Ultra ReadyMounts.

Installation went very easy. Done in about 2 hours.

Now there is a very pronounced PTTR.

I have the two typically mentioned TSBs (03-004 & 05-022). I've read them carefully, and I understand what they are telling me to do.

My question is.... obviously, those TSBs are intended for the OEM struts. So, does the TSB fix even apply to aftermarket brands? The steps are to move the spring location so that it is aligned differently to the underside of the 'spring seat'. Like this (from 03-004)

White Font Line Auto part Gas
:

I'm not sure the 'cutouts' are even present on these Gabriels.

Does anyone have actual experience in applying the TSBs to aftermarket struts?

Thanks
-Doug

PS: at least as frustrating as the PTTR, is the fact that the 'Squawk' is still there :mad:

· Registered
2003 CRV EX Auto 300,000km still rollin'
476 Posts
I fitted aftermarkets and I just mirrored what was there. I took photos and copied them. Replacing struts won't alter alignment enough to cause a PTTR...

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,958 Posts
as frustrating as the PTTR, is the fact that the 'Squawk' is still there :mad:
TOPIC DRIFT ALERT! :eek:

We get the SQUAWK when our sway bar bushings get old. That is the bushing moving on the bar (which is probably polished and smooth, now) It is supposed to grip the bar tightly, and just twist.

They are cheap enough to replace...I use vice-grips to knurl/roughen the smooth part of the bar before fitting the new rubber.

Don't be tempted to lubricate them. Grease deteriorates the rubber, and you would need to do it once a month.

Our past Acura and Accord both had the SQUAWK too.

· Registered
2002 Honda CR-V EX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to fix the problem (pull-to-the-right).

I took the car in for an alignment and before he even put it on the rack the tech went for a test drive. He returned a few minutes later and said the problem was the new Struts I installed. He said he's seen many cases of the aftermarket struts having issues with hard steering and pulling. Says the top mounts (bearing) are binding. He suggested I live with it, or replace with only Honda OEM Strut assemblies.

Couldn't live with it, so I replaced the Gabriels with OEM Honda parts ($$$). The OEM struts were obviously smoother and easier turning than the Gabriels. I tested this by installing the Honda parts using only the top 3 nuts, and leaving the bottom free. Turning the struts by hand showed the Honda parts to be much easier (than doing the same test with the Gabriels).

PROBLEM SOLVED. Returned the Gabriels to Rockauto. No more PTTR, and easier to steer in general.

So, yet another circumstance where it pays to stick with OEM parts. Seems like this is happening more and more. And that's a shame, since aftermarket are sure a lot cheaper ("...get what you pay for?" ).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts