Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, this is my first post. Wrecked 2006 CR-V and I'm replacing the fender. I ordered the tool to remove the antenna base, but until I receive it, I need to take the fender completely off, which means I need to disconnect the antenna cable. I tried a search on this forum and only found info for newer CR-Vs and roof antennas. This one is on the fender. I just want to pull the cable out from the car so I can get the fender off. I tried another Honda forum, but there's not a lot of traffic there, I guess, because no one responded and I noticed many other threads don't have responses either. Hopefully this forum has more traffic. Thanks for any assistance!

Also......is this the correct sub-forum to post a question thread like this? I noticed in the Gen 2 CR-V "specs" forum, there are posts asking for advice on repairs, but it seems this "Problems & Issues" sub-forum would be correct? Which one is more appropriate or practical?

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This forum is usually a lot quieter on weekends.
Sorry, I can't help you with the antennae
You could try the Search feature in this forum.
Start with a simple term like antenna .
Buffalo4
PS: This is what I found by putting antenna into the search box.
One of the hits might help you. :)
Hey Buffalo4, thanks so much for replying. Yes, I already did a search before posting and came up mostly with newer generations which have the antenna on the roof, or a different type. I found one from the list you sent that I must have not noticed in which the guy is doing the same thing I'm doing. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any post I can find that's applicable to a 2006 fender mounted antenna. I even looked on YouTube and it's the same issue as a search here.

It looks like I'm going to have to wait for the tool to come in on Tuesday unless I can know how to pull the antenna cable out. I guess what I need to know is if it's a continuous cable going into the back of the radio, or does it connect anywhere in between the radio and the fender and can be easily disconnected without pulling the radio?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hi, this is my first post. Wrecked 2006 CR-V and I'm replacing the fender. I ordered the tool to remove the antenna base, but until I receive it, I need to take the fender completely off, which means I need to disconnect the antenna cable. I tried a search on this forum and only found info for newer CR-Vs and roof antennas. This one is on the fender. I just want to pull the cable out from the car so I can get the fender off. I tried another Honda forum, but there's not a lot of traffic there, I guess, because no one responded and I noticed many other threads don't have responses either. Hopefully this forum has more traffic. Thanks for any assistance!

Also......is this the correct sub-forum to post a question thread like this? I noticed in the Gen 2 CR-V "specs" forum, there are posts asking for advice on repairs, but it seems this "Problems & Issues" sub-forum would be correct? Which one is more appropriate or practical?
I thought for sure it would be clear to radio but, the parts diagram shows it has a connector roughly in the middle:

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! This one is a 2WD, but I'm assuming it's the same. It looks like the connector is underneath/behind the gove box. I will check it out and let you know later if I had success.

I'm probably going to be posting other questions on this forum, since I'm trying to get this wrecked family member's car back on the road safely. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thank you! This one is a 2WD, but I'm assuming it's the same. It looks like the connector is underneath/behind the gove box. I will check it out and let you know later if I had success.

I'm probably going to be posting other questions on this forum, since I'm trying to get this wrecked family member's car back on the road safely. Stay tuned.
I changed the vehicle to 2WD and got the same page, also with both AT and MT.

You can enter any vehicle you want to that site.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Yes, it's the same type of website I am used to for another make with which I'm more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the tool from the Honda dealer parts counter. It doesn't work. The antenna nut has four notches and they are very shallow. The tool only has two prongs to fit in the four notches. The prongs generally do line up with the notches, but they are just a hair bigger in diameter than the notches. That's not really the issue, though, since if you hold it exactly, they do line up. The problem is the notches don't have much depth to them and the prongs of the tool can't really fit in them because of that.

It just doesn't allow the prongs of the tool to dig in deep enough to turn it out. When I try to turn it out, it just slips out of the notches, even when pushing down on it.

I ordered another tool from Amazon for cheap. It's a gamble, though, because a lot of reviews say that it won't work for their car, while others say it does work. None of them were for a Honda CR-V of any generation.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I got the tool from the Honda dealer parts counter. It doesn't work. The antenna nut has four notches and they are very shallow. The tool only has two prongs to fit in the four notches. The prongs generally do line up with the notches, but they are just a hair bigger in diameter than the notches. That's not really the issue, though, since if you hold it exactly, they do line up. The problem is the notches don't have much depth to them and the prongs of the tool can't really fit in them because of that.

View attachment 137772 View attachment 137773 View attachment 137774 View attachment 137775

It just doesn't allow the prongs of the tool to dig in deep enough to turn it out. When I try to turn it out, it just slips out of the notches, even when pushing down on it.

I ordered another tool from Amazon for cheap. It's a gamble, though, because a lot of reviews say that it won't work for their car, while others say it does work. None of them were for a Honda CR-V of any generation.
Perhaps you could try lightly tapping the top of the tool with a hammer while applying some rotational forces on the tool with fingers, etc.
OR, can't you just use a hammer and punch (or screwdriver) to tap that nut around to unscrew it?
Maybe even some good needle-nosed pliers.
Just guessing.
Don't scratch anything if you try that. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps you could try lightly tapping the top of the tool with a hammer while applying some rotational forces on the tool with fingers, etc.
OR, can't you just use a hammer and punch (or screwdriver) to tap that nut around to unscrew it?
Maybe even some good needle-nosed pliers.
Just guessing.
Don't scratch anything if you try that. :eek:
Buffalo4
The second tool I got doesn't work either. It's too big:

Needle nose pliers don't work. I'm going to have to try what you said with a hammer and screwdriver, but it's likely to cause damage, which I'd like to avoid. Another option is to take it to a body shop or a car stereo shop since both places probably have an entire set of specialty tools for this. Man, Honda sure made it difficult with this one (especially since their own tool doesn't work).

This nut does have regular right hand threads, right? You know......counterclockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten? It seems to be awfully tight with the slightest turn I've been able to put on it going counterclockwise with pliers (kept slipping after that and wouldn't budge).

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Tap lightly with the hammer and a sharp flat bladed screwdriver or similar..
Worth a try.
Your idea on an autobody shop or stereo shop is also a good one.
Since you are replacing that fender, can't you just cut out a portion of the fender around that antenna base? Drill a bunch of holes around it, etc.
Buffalo4
PS: Here is a link on someone trying to remove that nut: How do I remove the antenna mast? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tap lightly with the hammer and a sharp flat bladed screwdriver or similar..
Worth a try.
Your idea on an autobody shop or stereo shop is also a good one.
Since you are replacing that fender, can't you just cut out a portion of the fender around that antenna base? Drill a bunch of holes around it, etc.
Buffalo4
PS: Here is a link on someone trying to remove that nut: How do I remove the antenna mast? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion
I'll have to try to tap it loose. Yes, I could cut it out of the old fender, I suppose, but I'd still have to reinstall the antenna base on the new fender and if I can't loosen it, then ?? I could also disconnect the antenna from underneath the glove box, but again I'd have to reinstall it. If I could just get the correct tool! Won't be working on it for a few days, so I'll let everyone know what happens and will be open to any ideas in the meantime.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link. I don't think any of those things are going to work. The nut doesn't stick out enough to get any kind of a grip on it with pliers. I don't see how putting tape on it will make it easier to grip, but I'll try it and report back later this week. Snap ring pliers also won't work. One person said "there is a tool/socket for that". Yeah.....I've tried two tools including one directly from Honda. What ever grip I could get just slips right off since the nut is so tight.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting problem. I have a shop and here's what I'd do. Take a scrap strip of strong plywood or 1x and drill holes in the right locations. From the nuts and bolts bin, find a group of small (6-24 or 8-24 or similar) nuts, washers, and bolts and install. Presto! You could use a piece of metal instead. You could even make an adjustable one by using a hole in two spots and a slot opposite each of those. Of course, I have a drill press and a mig welder, and lots of steel plate, so I could go a number of ways. But you can do this with a drill. Creativeness is the key. You could use a large thick washer and drill holes in that, then grind a couple of flats on the outside and use a crescent wrench. Or bolt that washer to the tool in the picture, and then drill. Or take a flat metal strip and go to the bench grinder and grind the shape you need on the edge and use a crescent wrench or vise grips to turn it. There's always a way.

Reactions: Litzenbaum

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update (good news and bad news). I bought a different tool, also from the Honda dealer. This one has four prongs that match exactly to the antenna nut's four notches:

This is the correct tool for this antenna. It is still however inadequate, as the notches in the nut are rather shallow and don't accept the full reach of the four prongs. You can see the gap underneath:

This causes the tool to slip out of the notches even when pushing down on it. Perhaps for whatever reason this antenna nut was reinstalled at some point and done so with a lot of force as it is really, really tight, or just over the last 14 years it has stuck itself in there. I decided I would have to partially damage the nut to get it off. I drilled holes in all of the notches to allow the tool's prongs to fit more deeply, thus making it harder for it to slip out.You can see in the second photo below that the notches are more fully seated:

Using a 19mm wrench, and pushing down on the tool, I was still having a hard time keeping it in the notches, but it did work and I was able to turn it out anti-clockwise. Of course, it's ruined now, but still techincally functional (just awful looking). I'll probably get a replacement and use the new tool to snug it in.

So, either this nut was torqued down tighter than it was supposed to be, or the design of the shallow notches is insufficient. In any event, anybody looking for the correct tool can see the part number in the first photo of this post.

Thanks to @Buffalo4, @downunder47, and @kloker for being kind enough to try to help. Hopefully this thread will help someone.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Wow! What a huge pain. Why couldn't they just make it a hex nut? Good on ya for getting it done! Moving to Mobile Electronics for better exposure.

Reactions: Litzenbaum

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Wow! What a huge pain. Why couldn't they just make it a hex nut? Good on ya for getting it done! Moving to Mobile Electronics for better exposure.
Maybe it is some sort of anti-theft idea to keep the street kids from stealing it too easy.
Just guessing.
Damn virus is causing me to drink more liquids (beer) :eek: (precautionary measure) :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would be a pretty successful anti-theft product.

Lady I work with (and her hubbie) "only" had plenty availability at the store for beer, frozen pizzas, chips & dip. Yeah, she was really "upset" about that!

I don't drink, but my beverage of precautionary measure and when I'm feeling pretty rowdy is hot chocolate! Yeah, I'm just a walkin' partAy!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
That would be a pretty successful anti-theft product.

Lady I work with (and her hubbie) "only" had plenty availability at the store for beer, frozen pizzas, chips & dip. Yeah, she was really "upset" about that!

I don't drink, but my beverage of precautionary measure and when I'm feeling pretty rowdy is hot chocolate! Yeah, I'm just a walkin' partAy!
That's good to hear! Leaves more coffee for me!

·
Registered
2006 CR-V LX
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just about finished fixing this wrecked CR-V and finally got around to installing the new antenna base and nut. Using the Honda tool with the four prongs, the nut easily turns and tightens into position without the tool prongs slipping off. The Honda FSM shows only 1.7 foot lbs (20.4 inch lbs) of torque for the antenna nut, so I was able to tighten it turning the tool by hand only. I would not recommend putting a 19 mm wrench on this tool to tighten it down; just turn the tool by hand. I imagine either it was torqued down way too tight previously, or it just seized in place after 14 years. The tool did seem to fit more securely in the new antenna nut.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts