Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that some pictures, when attached, get inverted? I've even tried starting over, making my original picture (on my computer) upside down so that if the forum flipped it it would be correct. Either way the picture ended up upside down. Is there anyway to stop this weirdness?

·
Administrator
3,408 Posts
All depends on the orientation of your smartphone when the image was taken.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,463 Posts
Just so that we don't assume anything:

Are you SAVING the rotated images when you re-orient them on your computer????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1. I made sure the images were oriented properly when I took the pictures with my phone.
2. I viewed the images on a PC and verified they were properly right-side up. So it was not an issue of how I held my phone.
3. I made a post and added 6 pictures. 3 of those stayed in the same orientation as shown on the phone and PC. 3 of them became upside down.
4. I got frustrated and tried adding a new post after the first one. The 2 pictures I added to that post, which were properly right-side up when viewed on my PC became upside down again.
5. I then tried taking the picture on the PC, rotated it 180 degrees which made it upside down on my PC, and tried to add it to a post (hoping the forum would just flip it again for me). That didn't work. That time adding the picture kept the orientation on the PC, resulting in upside down pictures.
6. I then took the upside down picture on my PC, rotated it another 180 degrees (now it was again right-side up) and tried adding it to a post again. The forum decided to make it upside down that time.

Only after I resized the original images on my PC(made them 75% of the original image size), with it upright on the PC, that uploading to the forum didn't make the image upside down.

Here's an attempt to upload the original image:
20180204_115618.jpg

And here's a screenshot of me adding the image! Note that the image is right-side up on the computer.
UploadImageScreenshot.jpg

I had originally verified all the pictures were right-side up before even starting to compose the post because I've seen a number of posts with upside down pictures and people mentioning they couldn't figure out how to attach them without appearing upside down.

·
Administrator
3,408 Posts
Here is the same photo using a trick. Downloading the image off the forum back to the phone. Editing the image to correct it and uploaded back.
Somehow the process corrects the orientation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still feel there's some bug other than user error.

Here's another discussion about how some pictures just prefer to always appear upside down:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/141738-2017-cr-v-anyone-found-window-deflectors-2.html#post1116369

From that thread:
"Why do ALL my pics post upside down ? I've even tried to upload them as upside down pics and they still won't be the right way." (Post #12)
"I have tried uploading regular, upside down, saving it to Skitch and rotating it there. I tried editing in advanced and every time it ends up the wrong way. " (Post #14)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,463 Posts
Upside-down pics seem to be a common occurrence on Forums these days. Its not just this forum.

I always rotate compress and save pictures that I upload to Forums.

dstucki, if you find a quick way to assure proper orientation, post it up, and we will STICKY your method.

·
2,805 Posts
This has to do with a glitch in the base code of cell phone photo software apps. It's so basic, in fact, that it is in all of them, from all makers. It is a compatibility thing between code from phones and code from computer apps. Don't know if it will ever be corrected. The only guaranteed method I've found to always work is resizing on a computer. Other methods work, but not always 100%. Some of the above workarounds are excellent!!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
826 Posts
Why is it that some pictures, when attached, get inverted? I've even tried starting over, making my original picture (on my computer) upside down so that if the forum flipped it it would be correct. Either way the picture ended up upside down. Is there anyway to stop this weirdness?
your smartphone adjusts pictures correctly for viewing based off the angle of the camera when shot.
When you upload those the software doesnt correct.

if u crop the original before upload ur good

·
Administrator
3,408 Posts
Once uploaded, download the photo back off the forum. Edit to correct orientation, delete original upload and upload edited image

1 - 11 of 11 Posts