Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some things I am noticing about the 2016 CR-V EX (Coming from a 05 Pilot)

1. I can't unlock the passenger doors without waiting for the passenger to do it before me or me walking around to open them. (OK I could be chivalrous but the point is). In the Pilot I could hit the fob once for driver and twice for all. But now with the fob in my pocket, if I reach the driver's door first and open it there is no button or anything inside to open the other doors. I have to reach across the interior. Really?

2. If there are some suspicious looking people in the parking lot, I cannot prevent them from opening the door if they reach the door handle first! In the Pilot I would hit the fob once to unlock only the driver's door. But now if somebody else reaches any passenger door first, they can open it and unlock all the doors!! Really?

3. I can find no reference to checking the transmission fluid? The Pilot had some strange instructions compared to ordinary American cars but in the CR-V it appears I have to take it to the dealer to be checked?

4. There is no interval for checking anything? The Maintenance Minder will tell me? Surely there is some list of when to do things.

5. Does the timing belt have to be replaced (every 100K miles) like the Pilot?

My wife and I absolutely love it but it is a lot different from anything I have had including the 05 Pilot. (252,092 miles)

·
Registered
776 Posts
My Saabs had the ability to program the fob multiple ways such as which doors lock and unlock when the car's in gear and many other options. Of course, the kicker is the dealer had to reprogram the system with all your keys !! Craig

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You need to read your owners manual. You have a timing chain not a belt, you can program your locks to unlock with one push of the button, you have a CVT, so there is no dipstick to check the fluid, your manual states to have the dealer check the fluid once a month, and I believe the manual states to check your engine oil once a week (I could be mistaken on this).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all. I looked through the owners manual and didn't see anything about timing chain.
Embarrassed about the door locks as I found the switch to unlock all doors, thought it was the window lock.
I just went through the System menu and didn't spot anything about programing the locks but will look again when I get off work.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. My issues was there is no scheduled maintenance chart like every other vehicle I have had came with in the owner's manual. I did read the book. The CD/DVD didn't work but i found it one line. I wasn't looking for the timing belt/chain specifically but used that as an example of looking for scheduled maintenance. So of course when I looked through the owners manual, I didn't find anything on a belt as it wasn't there. Thank you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You need to read your owners manual. [...] you have a CVT, so there is no dipstick to check the fluid, your manual states to have the dealer check the fluid once a month, and I believe the manual states to check your engine oil once a week (I could be mistaken on this).
The CVT does not require monthly fluid checks.

The most frequent transmission fluid level check by reference would be when maintenance item code "B" appears on the Maintenance Minder, which appears at every other oil change (approximately every 12,000 to 18,000 miles for most drivers). Even then, item code "B" doesn't explicitly state that the transmission fluid level should be checked, but it is inferred since one of the items under code "B" states "● Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids". Otherwise, the fluid level would only be checked when the fluid is changed per maintenance item code "3" (or every 25,000 miles if "driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing" which would imply that code "3" may appear less frequently than every 25,000 miles).

Honda does "recommend that you check the engine oil level every time you refuel."

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The CVT does not require monthly fluid checks.
I guess the intervals are different from my CVT in my 2014 Civic. Page 350 of my Civic owners manual says to check the CVT monthly. It's kind of odd that there isn't even a section in the manual for the transmission.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I see the conundrum. I find it ridiculous that Honda expects one to pay a dealer to check the transmission fluid level monthly. That's worse than GM's "sealed for life" transmissions they started using back in the late-90s when they started removing dipsticks! At least you can still check your engine oil level unlike modern BMWs where they've eliminated that dipstick, too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings,
I just bought my CRV-EXL two days ago. This was my first new car. I didn't let the "enforcers" talk me into extras, but they got me on the KERR security system. Said the wiring bundle was already installed on the car and it was $1,400 extra. Was I taken?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Greetings,
I just bought my CRV-EXL two days ago. This was my first new car. I didn't let the "enforcers" talk me into extras, but they got me on the KERR security system. Said the wiring bundle was already installed on the car and it was $1,400 extra. Was I taken?
You bet :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Some things I am noticing about the 2016 CR-V EX (Coming from a 05 Pilot)

1. I can't unlock the passenger doors without waiting for the passenger to do it before me or me walking around to open them. (OK I could be chivalrous but the point is). In the Pilot I could hit the fob once for driver and twice for all. But now with the fob in my pocket, if I reach the driver's door first and open it there is no button or anything inside to open the other doors. I have to reach across the interior. Really?

2. If there are some suspicious looking people in the parking lot, I cannot prevent them from opening the door if they reach the door handle first! In the Pilot I would hit the fob once to unlock only the driver's door. But now if somebody else reaches any passenger door first, they can open it and unlock all the doors!! Really?

3. I can find no reference to checking the transmission fluid? The Pilot had some strange instructions compared to ordinary American cars but in the CR-V it appears I have to take it to the dealer to be checked?

4. There is no interval for checking anything? The Maintenance Minder will tell me? Surely there is some list of when to do things.

5. Does the timing belt have to be replaced (every 100K miles) like the Pilot?

My wife and I absolutely love it but it is a lot different from anything I have had including the 05 Pilot. (252,092 miles)
1. You can set it so that reaching the door handle unlocks all doors. Or you could open the driver side door and press the door unlock button located on the door (Left button on top of the driver window button). No need to reach across the interior. That would be silly.

2. The fob has to be quite close to the car for the doors to unlock by reaching the handle. So unless the shady dude who reached your car handle before you can also has your fob, he won’t be able to unlock the doors.

#3-5: Just rely on your maintenance minder.

·
Registered
262 Posts
4. Correct. Years ago, Honda abandoned predefined maintenance schedules. You should follow the Maintenance Minder. It takes actual operating conditions into account and also groups other maintenance items together with the nearest oil change to ensure you don't end up with with lots of frequent, individual maintenance items. Your owner's manual (which you have to order a free copy of within 6 months of purchase or download from owners.honda.com since they are no longer included) will tell you where more frequent service is required under severe conditions. For example, the CVT requires more frequent, mileage-based fluid changes when towing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Greetings,
Don't know what KERR is, but EX-L's come with Honda security. Why pay for something additional?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't know what KERR is, but EX-L's come with Honda security. Why pay for something additional?
Barbvn probably meant "KARR" - a brand of alarm that dealers like to use to scam people out of even more money. Installing these aftermarket alarms involves splicing into factory wiring - something I would NEVER allow on a new vehicle and can lead to electrical problems which would NOT be covered by Honda's warranty. Personally, I would have RAN away from the dealer. Here's a discussion about KARR alarms on Honda's that dates back to a decade ago. A Google search reveals more scams.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/2-general-discussions/14284-why-honda-dealers-pre-installing-karr-alarm.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts