Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have discovered a very strange USB cable situation in my 2018 Honda CRV-EX. Bought the car in Sept but had to wait for the color I wanted to come in. So the dealer loaned me a brand new 2018 Honda Accord Sport for a few weeks. Was using my Samsung S4 Droid in it successfully and it allowed me to learn the Android Auto system. The day my new CRV-EX arrived, I drove to the dealership and brought my USB cable with me from the loaner car.
IT WOULD NOT WORK in the CR-V-EX !!!! But it worked fine in the 2018 Accord Sport !!!!
An employee of the dealership brought another USB cable and it worked.
Went home and tried another USB cable. This one worked. But in the next few weeks, sometimes while driving it disconnects.
So I bought 3 brand new USB DATA cables....its important that they are DATA CABLES (there are other cables that are charge only, only 2 of the wires are connected).
These brand new cables do not work in the 2018 CR-V-EX. However, I verified each of them as working data cables by connecting my Droid phone to my laptop and transferring a picture off the Droid to the laptop. Can see all the directories and files. If these were not data cables I wouldnt be able to see the directories and files.

Has anyone else had this strange situation with SOME USB cables in their CR-V ????

The dealers cannot explain it. I wish there was someone at the Honda corporate tech support to speak with about this.
thanks for your help.
R.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do that BUT, this car was just manufactured. I had to wait for it to come from the factory, so it wasnt sitting in a lot somewhere.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I realize that. But sometimes they might have an older version of the Firmware. I'm not sure if the Accord you had for loaner has the same radio. If so, check the firmware version compare it to your new V.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you or anyone else ever heard of this strange USB cable situation?
SOME data cables work, SOME do not work !

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I haven't personally seen this before in my vehicle. But I've seen this in some Servers, it won't work on a particular cable but it work on others. But usually it gets resolved by updating the software.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked my CRV. Thee System Info is Version 1.F1A2.34, device 9881Y595.
Could not find where to update software. Looked in all options, including HondaLink (which I used my WiFi home network to connect).
thanks
R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you or anyone else ever heard of this strange USB cable situation?
SOME data cables work, SOME do not work !
I've experienced this problem as well on my 2018 EX-L. Some USB cables work, some don't. The cables that don't work, work fine everywhere else including in other vehicles. And even with those that do work, I experience intermittent, random disconnects. This is with a 2017 Moto G5 Plus running Android 7.0.

[Additional thought added in an edit...]
My current belief is that this is not a electrical, or software issue. It is a mechanical issue. Some cable headers seem to have a tighter 'fit' with the USB port in the CR-V. Others don't fit as well and either don't make a good electrical connect and/or have intermittent connection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not believe this fault is with the phone. Its a Honda interface problem. Have your spoken to your dealer about it? Honda Corp should be getting notified that this problem exists.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You should try a high quality cable like Anker power line, or an oem cable if you have a Samsung, etc
What is the difference between an alleged "high quality" cable than others, except cost?

If all of the required wires are connected through each end connector, the data will pass. If not, data will not pass and in those cases the cable is the source of the problem.

The cable is not the issue. It has already been proved that multiple valid data cables did not work. These were brand new, immediately out of the package and never before used.

I have also used several different OEM cables and some work and others didnt.

The common element is the car. Similarly, Honda's Her's reports the same condition. it appears that the CAR is not recognizing some cables.
Honda's Her's theory that how the end connector fits into the socket in the car is a possibility.
Who can explain why one of my cables worked in the 2018 Honda Accord Sport but not in the 2018 CRV? Software update differences could explain it, as was initially offered above here. My CRV home screen has the horizontal elongated icons whereas the 2018 Honda Accord Sport home screen had all square icons.
It is (separately) mystifying why Honda would have two different versions of software for the same exact function in cars of the same year they are manufacturing. One would expect for simplicity and support they would all be the same.

R.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,074 Posts
I've heard of this on other makes of car, too.

The quality of the cable has an effect, so does the length of wire from the head unit to the plug where your phone connects.

So, if the 'run' of wire is longer in the V, that MIGHT explain it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've heard of this on other makes of car, too.

The quality of the cable has an effect, so does the length of wire from the head unit to the plug where your phone connects.
So, if the 'run' of wire is longer in the V, that MIGHT explain it.
Could you please elaborate on the quality of the cable and the corresponding effect?

What exactly is the "effect" that occurs with declining quality?

Is there less "effect" with a $50 cable than with a $20 cable? A $10 cable? A $5 cable?

What constitutes good "quality" and how can we all recognize it when choosing to buy a USB cable?

I'm all for paying more for products if there is value returned for the higher price.

thanks
R.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 2.0 specification limits the length of a cable between USB 2.0 devices (Full Speed or Hi-Speed) to 5 meters (or about 16 feet and 5 inches).

I have been using 3 ft long cables.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You just said you tried multiple cables and some work and some don't.. And that the dealers cable worked. The common denominator is not the car, it's whether you are using crap cables or not. Even Honda says to only use oem cables. The difference is junk from China is still junk, even if it's brand new

·
Registered
605 Posts
Could you please elaborate on the quality of the cable and the corresponding effect?

Is there less "effect" with a $50 cable than with a $20 cable? A $10 cable? A $5 cable?

What constitutes good "quality" and how can we all recognize it when choosing to buy a USB cable?

I'm all for paying more for products if there is value returned for the higher price.

thanks
R.
If it works, it is good quality. I suggested Anker powerline... I've used them in my crv with s7 Edge, s9, iPhone 7, and iPhone XS with no problems. I use Android auto everyday on my commute.

You could try a USB thumb drive too.. If it works then the crv port is probably ok

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"If it works, it is good quality."

Thats exactly what we can conclude. If the wires are properly installed on both end connectors, it should transfer data. And if you prove it transfers data, then its a good cable.....except that many of them dont work ONLY IN THE CAR.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,074 Posts

As others said today, it is recommended to use OEM cables (or in the case of iPhone lightning cables, the ones that are approved by Apple) for best results.

On one of our other cars, plugging in the phone (just to charge it) would RUIN our FM radio reception. It was only one of our two iPhones. We went to the phone store and they demonstrated that the cable made a big difference. Sure enough, the OEM Lightning cable made the issue nonexistent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats a different problem. That's called electromagnetic frequency (EMF) interference. Your cable was allowing spurious (unwanted) frequencies to interfere with the FM radio local oscillator and/or mixer function. Those frequencies are normally filtered through the antenna path but in your case, the source was so close to the radio that is impressed energy into the circuitry to cause the interference.
Lots of household products are made that also emit EMF because the product manufacturer does not spend the design and production cost to build EMF shielding in the case packaging.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts