Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,216 Posts
This is one of the reasons we seceded from you folks across the pond in 1776!
Not really. The British never interfered with any colonist's right to carry a gun.
But this is supposed to be about cars, not guns or politics. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
that depends on where you live. I can protect my property, on my property.
I don't know what state you live in, but even here in Florida, "The Gunshine State", a person must be in fear of their life, in order to use deadly force. That includes by the use of any weapon to defend yourself from death or serious physical injury, not just by the use of a gun. That's how George Zimmerman was acquitted of murder, when he used his gun to stop Trayvon Martin from bashing his head and brains into the cement walkway at the condo complex he lived in. It was not a stand your ground defense, it was a justified shooting, because he was in fear of this life, even though Trayvon Martin was not armed at the time of the assault and battery on Zimmerman.
To shoot an unarmed person here in Florida (and most states that I am familiar with) for attempting to steal your catalytic converter (or anything else for that matter) would result in you being charged with that persons death.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not really. The British never interfered with any colonist's right to carry a gun.
But this is supposed to be about cars, not guns or politics. :)
Ah, but they did. The first battle of the Revolution was fought over gun control. The British government wanted to seize the lawfully owned firearms of the colonists. If British troops could disarm the militia, there would be less of a threat to their control.....

·
Super Moderator
4,216 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car sounded a bit louder and throatier when I started it today. Cat's still there, but...
View attachment 150614

Paper, sharpie, cardboard, and several layers of tinfoil to hopefully prevent it from combusting.
View attachment 150615

Wedged between the plastic runner thingy and the body. The other side is taped to the body on the other side. It didn't seem secure, I should probably plan to get rid of it before I get up to highway speeds again.
View attachment 150616

Also I should fix my exhaust now...
I have a 2002 Odyssey and someone looked under with a flashlight! Drove away when someone came out of the house. Slim pickings now so they have to steal just any converter?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Back in the old days, when money was tight or nonexistent, that was the method of "repairing" cracks/breaks/ rust holes in your exhaust system. Take a clean, empty tomato sauce / soup / veggie can, cut off both ends [when cans had 2 similar ends], slit lengthwise, wrap around affected area, then secure with either baling wire or clamps.

View attachment 150620
Ahhhh...this brings back fond memories of my very first car, a 1968 Buick Special Deluxe. I used a couple of Campbell's Tomato Soup cans to repair a hole in the floor right where your heel rests by the gas pedal. And we used a Schlitz Tall Boy can to repair the exhaust on my friends POS Fiat the day before he traded it in on a AMC Pacer.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ahhhh...this brings back fond memories of my very first car, a 1968 Buick Special Deluxe. I used a couple of Campbell's Tomato Soup cans to repair a hole in the floor right where your heel rests by the gas pedal. And we used a Schlitz Tall Boy can to repair the exhaust on my friends POS Fiat the day before he traded it in on a AMC Pacer.
Hmmm, in my '69 Buick Wildcat, I used a "discarded" street sign for that exact same issue. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,216 Posts
The Wright Brothers used an old tomato can for the carburetor of their hand-built airplane engine.
Those things find uses everywhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The big hot item now are prius catalytic converters. They get 400 bucks for them. They steal them even from dealers and car shops. Any street or driveway, backyard. The CRV was popular cause the height made it easy. In contrast the pris is difficult. Have to raise it, and then go up in front near engine. Still they will steal it many times over. I am not a vigilante..... but I may have to look the other way.
They are taken out of state and the money is crazy.
Reminds me of the old vw radio scam and dealers...
Edit: forgot to mention, the replacement cost is very high. Around a thousand dollars or more.
Ps. But thanks, it takes pressure off CRVs.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts