Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you did not catch this video I thought I would post it.
This video answers a lot of the questions about how the active shutters behave while your driving.

Rob

·
Registered
434 Posts
As I mentioned in Post #10 of the thread below I had a somewhat different experience than that shown in the video, maybe due to the difference in temperature. My shutters did not open up when I stopped the car. The fellow in the video only drove 1.6 miles and the outside temp was higher than mine (in the 50s for him, in the 30s for me). There are probably many factors affecting the shutter algorithm. Hope he repeats the test when it is colder and drives longer so the car reaches operating temperature.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...e-air-radiator-cold-climates.html#post1511327

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
As I mentioned in Post #10 of the thread below I had a somewhat different experience than that shown in the video, maybe due to the difference in temperature. My shutters did not open up when I stopped the car. The fellow in the video only drove 1.6 miles and the outside temp was higher than mine (in the 50s for him, in the 30s for me). There are probably many factors affecting the shutter algorithm. Hope he repeats the test when it is colder and drives longer so the car reaches operating temperature.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...e-air-radiator-cold-climates.html#post1511327

"There are probably many factors affecting the shutter algorithm."

I think that statement nails it:thumb:..........many factors. Oh those crazy shutters.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would also love to see what they do on a hot day at high speeds. I am very skeptical of Honda's claims of them being used to make the "Brick" more aerodynamic.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would also love to see what they do on a hot day at high speeds. I am very skeptical of Honda's claims of them being used to make the "Brick" more aerodynamic.
While I have no way of proving this I suspect they would be open when on a freeway at 70 MPH, 95 F, with AC on.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I have no way of proving this I suspect they would be open when on a freeway at 70 MPH, 95 F, with AC on.
According to Honda that would depend on the engine temp. If it's in the sweet spot they should close to make the vehicle (cough cough) more aerodynamic.

·
Registered
434 Posts
According to Honda that would depend on the engine temp. If it's in the sweet spot they should close to make the vehicle (cough cough) more aerodynamic.
???? And what about the AC condenser temp? With the AC ON at 95F and sunny Texas the condenser needs a lot of fresh air to cool the refrigerant.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
???? And what about the AC condenser temp? With the AC ON at 95F and sunny Texas the condenser needs a lot of fresh air to cool the refrigerant.
The engine is pretty efficient at dissipating heat. There is one slat blade that is missing so air is always flowing. As I said if the engine is within operational temperature range it should close them according to Honda. If the engine gets too hot it would open them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The engine is pretty efficient at dissipating heat. There is one slat blade that is missing so air is always flowing. As I said if the engine is within operational temperature range it should close them according to Honda. If the engine gets too hot it would open them.
I don't think that is correct. The radiator (for cooling the engine) and the condenser coil (for cooling the refrigerant) are two different things.
If the AC is OFF the shutters behave that way however even with a cold engine my shutters open the moment I turn the AC ON, even if it is 40F outside and the engine has just been started or been running for just 1 minute.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I don't think that is correct. The radiator (for cooling the engine) and the condenser coil (for cooling the refrigerant) are two different things.
If the AC is OFF the shutters behave that way however even with a cold engine my shutters open the moment I turn the AC ON, even if it is 40F outside and the engine has just been started or been running for just 1 minute.

^^^^This^^^^

Compressor engaged, shutters are open..........even when the motor is cold and it's chilly outside. I forgot,.......and the efans are running. Oh those crazy shutters.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^^This^^^^

Compressor engaged, shutters are open..........even when the motor is cold and it's chilly outside. I forgot,.......and the efans are running. Oh those crazy shutters.
Yes it seems like they really need to reprogram the control unit for these "Crazy shutters :HighFive:"
I think they have the software open/close priorities messed up. It might be fine for 60 deg and above weather but the subroutines should kick over to another set algorithms if the outside temp is lower than 60 deg.

Rob

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
.......and above say 60F, why have the shutters closed when driving around town (30-35mph). Are aerodynamics coming into play driving slow around town? Crazy a__ shutters.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.......and above say 60F, why have the shutters closed when driving around town (30-35mph). Are aerodynamics coming into play driving slow around town? Crazy a__ shutters.
You might be driving into a 50 MPH headwind:beb:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Not 'til this coming Spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts