Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not intended to bash the CR-V. But I've been shopping for a CUV for a while, and somehow overlooked the Hyundai Sante Fe. Based on specs alone, I would definitely choose the CR-V - its only slightly smaller (cargo area actually larger) and much better gas mileage. While trying to decide if the oil dilution issue is overblown, someone in the forums mentioned the Sante Fe. So I test drove one and really like it. Taking delivery of an SEL Plus on Thursday.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Congrats for you on finding a vehicle you like! I also test drove the Santa Fe as well as the Tuscon when I visited the Hyundai dealer. Hyundai even sent me a $50 VISA card for taking the test drives. However, while I thought they are both nice vehicles, for me, neither fit my needs or had everything I wanted like the CR-V does. Despite the repeated complaints about heat and oil dilution from others on this forum, we enjoy driving our CR-V each and every day since we purchased nearly two years ago. Not too big, not too small, our CR-V feels just right.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Congrats! I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Ultimate 2.0 version. You do get a lot for your money with Hyundai, plus a great warranty.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Congrats for you on finding a vehicle you like! I also test drove the Santa Fe as well as the Tuscon when I visited the Hyundai dealer. Hyundai even sent me a $50 VISA card for taking the test drives. However, while I thought they are both nice vehicles, for me, neither fit my needs or had everything I wanted like the CR-V does. Despite the repeated complaints about heat and oil dilution from others on this forum, we enjoy driving our CR-V each and every day since we purchased nearly two years ago. Not too big, not too small, our CR-V feels just right.
S.F. beats the CRV in every feature (except gas mileage) The S.F. is one of the quietest CUV out there (68db) , faster plus a great warranty AND
no heat problems and no gas in oil.

·
Registered
545 Posts
S.F. beats the CRV in every feature (except gas mileage) The S.F. is one of the quietest CUV out there (68db) , faster plus a great warranty AND
no heat problems and no gas in oil.
S.F. has never come close to beating a CRV in any comparison article I've read..

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
I recently test drove a Santa Fe 2.0T. I thought it was a nice car for what it was, but it definitely drove bigger than a CR-V, even a Highlander. It is most definitely not faster than a CR-V. It had a ton of throttle lag, not just off the line, but even at speed, every time you'd tip into the throttle there was a big delay. Aside from the throttle lag, acceleration was slower, it felt like an 8 second car, not bad by any means, but slower than a CR-V. Handling was okay, just slower and number than the CR-V. I couldn't get comfortable in the seat, as it was too deep for a small guy like me, but if you're average size or larger that wouldn't be an issue. The Santa Fe is a half size bigger than the CR-V, so I don't think Hyundai is trying to compete with the CR-V, more so the Murano, Edge, and the new Passport.

·
Registered
59 Posts
S.F. has never come close to beating a CRV in any comparison article I've read..

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Not only does it fail to beat the CR-V in any comparison.. it has horrible depreciation. The happy new buyer is going to be a sad camper whenever he tries to trade or sell the Sante Fe.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It looks like the Santa Fe has better engine options including the 2.0L 232hp turbo and a rumored 200hp/320ftlb 2.2L diesel in 2020.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
Not only does it fail to beat the CR-V in any comparison.. it has horrible depreciation. The happy new buyer is going to be a sad camper whenever he tries to trade or sell the Sante Fe.
Not everyone trades or sells their cars every few years. I know a lot of people here have thrown their money away trading in CRV's that haven't had any issues at all. When you have money to burn I guess getting rid of a 2 year old car doesn't matter. My CRV will be 6 years old this August. My goal is to keep it until it is at least 15 years old or 200,000 miles. I will inherit it from my wife in a couple years to buy her a bigger car for the family. If it is still running fine by that time then I will keep driving it since I would rather not continue to go into debt for a new car. I honestly would like to drive it until it is at least 20 years old but that all depends on repair costs. So, depreciation doesn't matter to most people.....

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
This is not intended to bash the CR-V. But I've been shopping for a CUV for a while, and somehow overlooked the Hyundai Sante Fe. Based on specs alone, I would definitely choose the CR-V - its only slightly smaller (cargo area actually larger) and much better gas mileage. While trying to decide if the oil dilution issue is overblown, someone in the forums mentioned the Sante Fe. So I test drove one and really like it. Taking delivery of an SEL Plus on Thursday.

Enjoy your new ride! I like the style of the new SF's. Hyundai has been doing a good job in the reliability department, so you should have no problems. Plus, what a great warranty!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I keep cars for a really long time. Resale value is not a factor. My current daily driver is a 2000 Honda Accord with almost 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I recently test drove a Santa Fe 2.0T. I thought it was a nice car for what it was, but it definitely drove bigger than a CR-V, even a Highlander. It is most definitely not faster than a CR-V. It had a ton of throttle lag, not just off the line, but even at speed, every time you'd tip into the throttle there was a big delay. Aside from the throttle lag, acceleration was slower, it felt like an 8 second car, not bad by any means, but slower than a CR-V. Handling was okay, just slower and number than the CR-V. I couldn't get comfortable in the seat, as it was too deep for a small guy like me, but if you're average size or larger that wouldn't be an issue. The Santa Fe is a half size bigger than the CR-V, so I don't think Hyundai is trying to compete with the CR-V, more so the Murano, Edge, and the new Passport.
BB, those were my feelings exactly when I test drove the 2.0T. I really wanted to like it, but your description falls exactly in line with how I felt. And about the seat - I'm 5'-11" and 175 lbs, and for me it still didn't feel right.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not everyone trades or sells their cars every few years. I know a lot of people here have thrown their money away trading in CRV's that haven't had any issues at all. When you have money to burn I guess getting rid of a 2 year old car doesn't matter. My CRV will be 6 years old this August. My goal is to keep it until it is at least 15 years old or 200,000 miles. I will inherit it from my wife in a couple years to buy her a bigger car for the family. If it is still running fine by that time then I will keep driving it since I would rather not continue to go into debt for a new car. I honestly would like to drive it until it is at least 20 years old but that all depends on repair costs. So, depreciation doesn't matter to most people.....
The earliest I ever traded in a vehicle was 8 years. I usually go about 13 years or when it starts needing repairs. The dealer wholesales my trade ins as they look good but are older vehicles and are not worth much. The 8 year old Equinox was traded at a used car dealer where I get much more selling it to a dealer. So for me trade in value is not a consideration. However my mechanic advised me against getting a Hyundai if I'm keeping it past the 5 year warranty. Also, the Hyundai dealer near me is a small shop and does not have a good rep.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
BB, those were my feelings exactly when I test drove the 2.0T. I really wanted to like it, but your description falls exactly in line with how I felt. And about the seat - I'm 5'-11" and 175 lbs, and for me it still didn't feel right.
I find it interesting about the comments on the S.F. I got rid of my problem child in for a 2019 S.F. ultimate 2.0T AWD. I found it to be far superior to the CRV Touring in every catagory except for gas mileage. The CRV isn't a bad car it's just all the problems and Honda poor response to their owners that pissed me off. I bought the CRV because of all the great reviews from the media.......what happened to those people when problems show up....never reported all the issues

·
Registered
286 Posts
My test drive was with a 2016 or 2017, can't remember which.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L AWD, Built in Ohio.
229 Posts
The new Santa Fe is really nice. A friend of mine bought the Ultimate one and it is sharp. I have heard the 2.0t in that car doesn't feel as nice as the 1.5t in my CRV. It also have that annoying auto engine off at stops. Meh:)

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,675 Posts
... It also have that annoying auto engine off at stops. Meh:)

This is something that is now being incorporated into many of the new cars. Honda probably doesn't need to do it, because they already have phenomenal fuel economy without the added complexity (and consumer annoyance) of the start/stop systems.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The new Santa Fe is really nice. A friend of mine bought the Ultimate one and it is sharp. I have heard the 2.0t in that car doesn't feel as nice as the 1.5t in my CRV. It also have that annoying auto engine off at stops. Meh:)
There are pluses and minuses with all vehicles. You need to choose your priorities, as I did and I'm sure you did as well. Doing your homework is key to any vehicle purchase.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
All you have to do is push a button and turn it off :=)
By the way, it works well you don't even feel it shut off or turn on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts