Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Member here, happy owner so far since middle of 2022. Am at about 10k miles and the car has been pretty solid so far, except for one flat tire. (hate the fact there's no spare!)

Anyway, we've got some theft in my area of late where air bags are being stolen out of cars. One incident recently near me where ~ 25 cars were hit in one night at the same apartment complex. I live in the general area, and it looks like someone was going after me too unfortunately.
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

I don't know how long ago this happened, it may have been weeks ago. It was discovered today when I brought my car to the dealer to find out why my remote start wasn't working. Turns out it's related to this lock being broken.

I'm thinking of trying to fix it myself. I know how to get these door panels off, and there are You Tubes on taking the door handle apart. Anyone ever replace the cylinder themselves? I'm hoping that since it appears to be a straight forward cylinder replacement, it won't require any remote fob reprogramming.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
3,127 Posts
No fob reprogramming. Just purchase lock and key set. Then get a blank key for the other fob.

· Registered
Gen 5 CRV
1,414 Posts
I've had the lock punched on my CRV three times. Replacing the lock cylinder is SUPER EASY. The new lock cylinder will come with it's own key. There is a torx screw to loosen on the inner door edge and then the lock assembly will pull out from the outside. Pop off the existing door handle keyhole cover (match painted to your CRV) from the damaged cylinder and reuse it on the new cylinder, it snaps onto the lock cylinder assembly. Feed the assembly through the hole and put it into position, tighten down the torx screw, and your done!

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Traylaw and SnakeCharmer, thank you very much for your replies. This can save me serious coin as the dealer wants $630 bucks to fix. I've taken the door skins off an Accord and a Ridgeline so am not afraid to takcle that. Just needed to know it can be done by a layman without too much trouble, so thanks for that!

Traylaw, thanks for the links.

SnakeCharmer, sorry to hear you've been hit 3 times.

· Registered
2014 EX-L AWD
291 Posts
i/'m curious, if you change out the lock cylinder, won't the key be different than the other side now? i'm assuming this lock would be for the 'valet' key that most folks never use who have the keyless entry and start fobs.

or do the newer cars with the fobs only have the one side lock for the 'valet' key?

· Registered
17 CR-V LX
539 Posts
I know on mine, there is a separate valet key, does anybody use it for a valet, probably not.

The remote has a key integrated into it, correct? If so, I'm thinking you need a locksmith, yes.

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Willie G, yes, there's only a lock on the driver's side. Cost cutting never ends!

SVT, yes, there is a key built in to the remote. However, the cylinder set that Traylaw linked appears to come with new keys (1 for each remote).

Rectangle Gesture Font Parallel Art

The set is going to run me $50 bucks roughly. I think I'll go ahead and order it and try to do the job myself. If I'm successful, will laugh at the dealer who wanted $630.

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Pete In MD about the tire, have you tried to use the tire repair kit, if so does it work reliably?
Hi Vindroid, so, luckily it was only a slow leak. Am pretty sure there is a portable compressor in the "trunk", but I actually carry my own as well. I only had to add air and then drive immediately to a tire repair place.It just scares me that there's no emergency spare at all as sometimes a tire is beyond repair.

Before doing anything, my first move was to call HondaCare. They were going to send a flatbed truck out to take it to a Honda dealer. That's not a great solution. The truck person doesn't attempt to fix the tire. It was mid afternoon when it happened, and it's been several months now, but my vague recollection is they were saying the truck might not even be able to pick it up until the next day. (I could be wrong about that, but it's in the back of my mind). Anyway, I would have been stranded for a while at minimum. And if I had to abandon the car, how to get home? Just not a good feeling. If there were an emergency spare, I could change it and be on my way.

The first and 2nd gen's had a spare on the back door. I don't need a damn self-lifting tailgate. I need a spare., C'mon Honda! This is the only weakness in the car, and it's a significant one.

· Registered
Gen 5 CRV
1,414 Posts
Yes, the new lock has it's own key. Your FOB has the original key hidden in it. Keep the new key on your car key chain ring.

Some have gone through the added expense of having the new lock cylinder rekeyed to the original key. Personally, I could care less about that.

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes and no. The non-hybrids do have a spare, the hybrids don't. Same with the Accord.

The RAV 4 hybrid has a spare. Honda says they don't put one in their hybrids for safety reasons, claiming that in the event of a rear-end collision, the tire could be forced into the battery and crack it open. Why this is not a concern for Toyota I don't know. Either they are smarter than Honda or they feel it's not a safety issue. Lazy engineering on Honda's part? A chance to save $50 a car during manufacturing? Who knows, but they've only traded one safety issue for another. How safe is it to have a flat tire on a busy road where you can't do anything about it? RIdiculous if you ask me.

· Premium Member
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid SX Prestige
1,719 Posts
New Member here, happy owner so far since middle of 2022. Am at about 10k miles and the car has been pretty solid so far, except for one flat tire. (hate the fact there's no spare!)

Anyway, we've got some theft in my area of late where air bags are being stolen out of cars. One incident recently near me where ~ 25 cars were hit in one night at the same apartment complex. I live in the general area, and it looks like someone was going after me too unfortunately.
View attachment 160024

I don't know how long ago this happened, it may have been weeks ago. It was discovered today when I brought my car to the dealer to find out why my remote start wasn't working. Turns out it's related to this lock being broken.

I'm thinking of trying to fix it myself. I know how to get these door panels off, and there are You Tubes on taking the door handle apart. Anyone ever replace the cylinder themselves? I'm hoping that since it appears to be a straight forward cylinder replacement, it won't require any remote fob reprogramming.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
if you want to eliminate that totally you can order the painted part from the back drivers door and then have no exterior key access for thieves (or you).

also now that your car is known to thieves and location i would upgrade with maybe an airtag, alarm etc

they could have been there 10-15 minutes or 20 seconds and gauge what they can do if/when they come back

· Registered
Gen 5 CRV
1,414 Posts
if you want to eliminate that totally you can order the painted part from the back drivers door and then have no exterior key access for thieves (or you).

also now that your car is known to thieves and location i would upgrade with maybe an airtag, alarm etc

they could have been there 10-15 minutes or 20 seconds and gauge what they can do if/when they come back
I did this for a while after the second break in and it gave the driver door handle a nice clean look. However, the fear of a dead battery ate away at me because without a lock cylinder, there is no way to open the door if the battery died. So, I reinstalled a lock cylinder.

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Yes, am concerned that it could have happend in my driveway, but not sure as I didn't notice the lock cylinder damage at all until the dealership showed me.

The airtag idea sounds like the minimum required at this point. Thanks. Guess I'll have to look into an alarm too.

· Registered
231 Posts
I've had the lock punched on my CRV three times. Replacing the lock cylinder is SUPER EASY. The new lock cylinder will come with it's own key. There is a torx screw to loosen on the inner door edge and then the lock assembly will pull out from the outside. Pop off the existing door handle keyhole cover (match painted to your CRV) from the damaged cylinder and reuse it on the new cylinder, it snaps onto the lock cylinder assembly. Feed the assembly through the hole and put it into position, tighten down the torx screw, and your done!
Wait a sec, let me know if I am understanding this correctly:

All someone needs to break into a CRV is a $55 lock cylinder assembly that comes with a new key?

The person simply unscrews one torx screw and installs the new cylinder, and the CRV will open with the new key?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts