Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2022 Honda CRV EX-L
321 Posts
Wait a sec, let me know if I am understanding this correctly:

All someone needs to break into a CRV is a $55 lock cylinder assembly that comes with a new key?

The person simply unscrews one torx screw and installs the new cylinder, and the CRV will open with the new key?
Did you miss that the torque screw is in the inner door edge?

· Registered
Gen 5 CRV
1,414 Posts

All someone needs to break into a CRV is a $55 lock cylinder assembly that comes with a new key?

The person simply unscrews one torx screw and installs the new cylinder, and the CRV will open with the new key?
1) No, not quite
2) If they had a key, it wouldn't be breaking in

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Well, they'd have to get the door open somehow to remove the cylinder first. I believe you have to remove the interior door panel and also go through an opening in the side of the door to undo things. That's my understanding.

I'm super happy that the door lock held, and they couldnt brute-force it. (Maybe they didn't try hard enough). Had they gotten in, I believe they were going after the air bags because that's the thing here in my area (Southern Maryland).
If I'm successful, I can fix this damage cheaply. Had they gotten in and gotten the airbags, definitely would have been an insurance claim for me and I really don't want to be forced to do that.

· Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
3,121 Posts
Well, they'd have to get the door open somehow to remove the cylinder first. I believe you have to remove the interior door panel and also go through an opening in the side of the door to undo things. That's my understanding.

I'm super happy that the door lock held, and they couldnt brute-force it. (Maybe they didn't try hard enough). Had they gotten in, I believe they were going after the air bags because that's the thing here in my area (Southern Maryland).
If I'm successful, I can fix this damage cheaply. Had they gotten in and gotten the airbags, definitely would have been an insurance claim for me and I really don't want to be forced to do that.
Don't need to remove the door panel to replace the lock. Open the door and look at the door frame near the lock. You will see a plastic black plug. Remove the plug, you will then see a torx screw. Remove the screw and the lock/cylinder can be pulled out of the door.

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Don't need to remove the door panel to replace the lock. Open the door and look at the door frame near the lock. You will see a plastic black plug. Remove the plug, you will then see a torx screw. Remove the screw and the lock/cylinder can be pulled out of the door.
Traylaw, thanks loads- this info is very much appreciated! This will be a snap! I can't believe the dealer wanted to charge $630. Guess they don't call them stealerships for nothing. Dirty #@$&&

· Registered
3,121 Posts
Traylaw, thanks loads- this info is very much appreciated! This will be a snap! I can't believe the dealer wanted to charge $630. Guess they don't call them stealerships for nothing. Dirty #@$&&
Check with SnakeChamer for any tips since he has done this resently. I said to remove the torx screw but you might only need to loosen it and reduce the chance of dropping the screw the door.

· Registered
Gen 5 CRV
1,414 Posts
Check with SnakeChamer for any tips since he has done this resently. I said to remove the torque screw but you might only need to loosen it and reduce the chance of dropping the screw the door.
Ha haaa! This is where Honda engineering is shining brightly...

The torx screw cannot fall out. It is pressed into place and once it is unthreaded from the lock cylinder, it will spin beyond that for an eternity and never come out! No need to EVER worry about dropping this screw.

· Registered
3,121 Posts

The torx screw cannot fall out. It is pressed into place and once it is unthreaded from the lock cylinder, it will spin beyond that for an eternity and never come out! No need to EVER worry about dropping this screw.
Good news, the 4th gens use a 10mm bolt instead of a torx...and it will come out and fall down into the door if you're not careful.

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Awesome news SnakeCharmer, muchas gracias! Likewise to Traylaw for the heads up.

Nice to know Honda engineering is keeping up the continual improvement! Am actually lookfing forward to doing this repair. How tough did you find it?

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
TIme to update my own thread with some positive news.

I received the lock set as prescribed in Traylaw's post at top. It not only had the driver's lock assembly, but also a matching lock cylinder for the glove box plus two new matching keys for each of my fobs.

The installation of the driver's lock couldn't have been easier, as SnakeCharmer said. Excluding searching for the right torx bit in my toolbox, the swap out took me about 5 mins. To think the dealer wanted to charge me $420 labor is an outrage!

All in all it's a win, but only partially. Two issues remain.

1. The new lock did not solve my problem with my remote start system. It just doesn't work. I've checked the settings in the dahsboard, and the system is enabled. If I try to lock the door with the fob, I hear the click, but the parking lights don't flash as they should. I'm wondering if the attempted break-in damaged something else that I'm not aware of.

2. I can't figure out how to remove the old lock cylinder from the glove box. There aren't any Youtubes out there for this specific vehicle.

If anyone has any advice for these 2 issues, I'd be grateful for additional replies. Thanks.

· Registered
3,121 Posts
I think I can help a little with the glove box cylinder. See the attachment. The trim around the cylinder comes off, then you remove the retainer clip. Some suggestions which might make easier, you might want to remove the glove door to make it easier to work on, also apply some painter's tape around the trim to prevent marking the glove box door. Use a plastic trim removal pry tool.
Words of caution: I have never taken the trim off so I can't help as to where the little catches are located to release the trim. And most important, Honda does not sell that trim piece individually. It comes only as part of the entire door.
When you get it off you might want to post any tips which might help others.

Attachments

· Registered
2022 CR-V Hybrid
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I think I can help a little with the glove box cylinder. See the attachment. The trim around the cylinder comes off, then you remove the retainer clip. Some suggestions which might make easier, you might want to remove the glove door to make it easier to work on, also apply some painter's tape around the trim to prevent marking the glove box door. Use a plastic trim removal pry tool.
Words of caution: I have never taken the trim off so I can't help as to where the little catches are located to release the trim. And most important, Honda does not sell that trim piece individually. It comes only as part of the entire door.
When you get it off you might want to post any tips which might help others.
Traylaw to the rescue (again)! Are you sure you're not Sir Robin? 🙂

Mountain Art Geology Landscape History

I'll be giving this a try tomorrow and will report back. Thank you!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts