Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I'm Ashley, hailing in from NY and I'm about to buy my first ever CR-V on Monday. Here's the part where I need your help:

2 dealers have a used 2014 CRV-EX available, and I've gotten price quotes and held both and now I just need to pick:

Car 1: It's a smooth ride, clean autocheck (although the last time the odometer was read was at 5,860miles) and only has 28,000miles on it. They want $18,066.

Car 2: The brakes are a little stiff, but they were just changed. It's got 51,000 miles on it, and has 1 reported accident on the CarFax. It looks like they had the accident in October of last year and the car went back up for sale within a month. The dealer wants $17,300, but it is certified pre-owned, so I get everything that entails with it.

So, should I get car 1 or car 2? Also, if I get car 2, is it worth getting the Honda Cares warranty for $1,495 more?

Thanks so much for your advice! I look forward to many a conversation here!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
No brainer. #1 has almost half the mileage and hasn’t been in an accident, and all that for $700 difference. :confused:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hard to judge the cars with this little information, but I'd be wary of the one with an accident history without knowing the extent of damage.

Also, keep in mind that a new, 2016 CRV EX can be had in the $25-26k range. Seems like a modest premium to pay for a car without a questionable history (damage for one, maintenance for the other) and all the other good things that come with a new car (0 miles, longer warranty, fresh tires, lower interest rate, etc.).

Hondas hold their value well, but that doesn't always make them the best used car choice.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I agree with Rickman. Go with car # 1, It is clean & no accident. Its a bit more, but no accident. Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, new isn't in my budget at all. It might not seem like a big difference, but it's still out of reach :(

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
So you don't think the certified pre-owned/extended warranties makes up for the higher mileage?
Why buy a CRV with almost double the mileage at virtually the same price??? What does the certified pre-owned mean to you?

You could get the extra warranty for any vehicle, at any dealership and remember, that is on top of the price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why buy a CRV with almost double the mileage at virtually the same price??? What does the certified pre-owned mean to you?

You could get the extra warranty for any vehicle, at any dealership and remember, that is on top of the price.
I think it's the fact that the extra warranty is built into the price that appeals to me. I know it's silly, because the car I'm trading in I bought with just a couple years on it and it lasted 5 years without any problems, so it's just a peace of mind thing, I think.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I would go with #1 since it has low miles and the price isn't much higher than option #2.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
So you don't think the certified pre-owned/extended warranties makes up for the higher mileage?
Not when its been in an accident in my opinion.

Ask them why they other isnt certified and tell them you would take that one if it was certified.

Besides, do you have to buy a car tomorrow? There is always more out there. Dont bend to them, make them bend to you.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Not when its been in an accident in my opinion.

Ask them why they other isnt certified and tell them you would take that one if it was certified.

Besides, do you have to buy a car tomorrow? There is always more out there. Dont bend to them, make them bend to you.
Car 1 may not be certified because the maintenance history is murky. As the OP points out there seems to be no recorded activity for the last 23,000 miles. Doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been maintained but it could be an unknown.

·
Registered
776 Posts
There could be lots of reasons why there's no maintenance history for 23,000 miles !! Done by himself, corner repair shop which didn't bother to register their work etc etc. The accident is a deal breaker for me. Have a privtae mechanic check it out !! Craig

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There could be lots of reasons why there's no maintenance history for 23,000 miles !! Done by himself, corner repair shop which didn't bother to register their work etc etc. The accident is a deal breaker for me. Have a privtae mechanic check it out !! Craig

This is an excellent suggestion and I think this is what I've decided to do! I'm going to take the car with less miles to my normal mechanic tomorrow and have them give it a good once over and report back. That way, I won't need the warranty to feel good about buying it and I still get the lower miles.

Thank you all for the feedback! This has helped tremendously.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is an excellent suggestion and I think this is what I've decided to do! I'm going to take the car with less miles to my normal mechanic tomorrow and have them give it a good once over and report back. That way, I won't need the warranty to feel good about buying it and I still get the lower miles.

Thank you all for the feedback! This has helped tremendously.
Asherton,

I bought my lovely CRV from my neighbor with 63,000 miles. I took her to my mechanic and got the thumbs up. I jumped in feet first and haven't looked back. Also no warranty but as my auto mechanic friend told me, if there were problems, you would have seen it in the first 30,000 miles.

Good for you to go with the CRV with no damage history. The other CRV would be a red flag for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what did the mechanic say and what did you decide?
I had the mechanic check the car with the lower miles and he said it was a great vehicle. He said it needed new roters because the ones on the car had been pitted from sitting in the lot so long, but otherwise it was in pristine condition! So, as of this afternoon, I'm the proud owner of a 2014 CRV-EX with 28,000 miles. YAY!:D

Thank you so much for your help and advice, everyone!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I had the mechanic check the car with the lower miles and he said it was a great vehicle. He said it needed new roters because the ones on the car had been pitted from sitting in the lot so long, but otherwise it was in pristine condition! So, as of this afternoon, I'm the proud owner of a 2014 CRV-EX with 28,000 miles. YAY!:D

Thank you so much for your help and advice, everyone!
Congratulations on your purchase. Let's see some pics of the ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts