Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greenfield ( and others) - how did you soundproof your CRV. I would like to do our 2005 CRV Does undercoating help?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I bought a giant roll of heat and sound insulation that was 15 feet long and about 2 inches (compressible) thick. Cost me $22. I adhered it to the inside of all the doors and inside the dash and everywhere I could think of. In my opinion, the dynamat to coat the car would cost more than the car, since it runs about $20 for 2 sqaure feet, or like $40 a roll for 4 feet.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I bought a giant roll of heat and sound insulation that was 15 feet long and about 2 inches (compressible) thick. Cost me $22. I adhered it to the inside of all the doors and inside the dash and everywhere I could think of. In my opinion, the dynamat to coat the car would cost more than the car, since it runs about $20 for 2 sqaure feet, or like $40 a roll for 4 feet.
Was this from an auto body shop supply place or elsewhere?

'Bill R',
Undercoating can only do so much since it is relatively thin. But it will stop panels from vibrating. In a way it will deaden noise from going thru panels into the cabin. Not sure how it would stack up to Dynamat or Serj's 2" thick insulation. What Honda and the industry uses is a paintable semi firm pad about 1/8"+ thick (3-4mm). Used to be asphalt based (not so paintable) but I have no idea what is used today. It might be part urethane or rubberized since when exposed to solvents it does not soften as much as the asphalt pads.

Not sure how much that helps. A body shop and paint supply place would know a lot more.

On the '08 there is a considerable amount of the sound proofing pad from the factory on the spare well area (road side) and on the inner rear fender panel. The floorpan also seems to have pads on the inside under the rug, There might be more on the road side but I forgot. It has been months since I peeked under the V. :confused: Also on the bulkhead area.

So basically everywhere Honda has placed sound proofing pads on the '08 at the factory. Not sure about the doors but I would think there is some inside on the door skin too.

If you have considerable noise I would look for damaged, broken or missing weatherstrips, or clips missing so it is out of place. A misadjusted door or hatch will let in a lot of road noise thru the opening.

-Rg

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
all I saw before i had the thick pads in there was a thin sheet of white plastic. I doubt it does anything, except minor moisture protection. I got it from a place that re-builds lowriders and muscle cars.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Heavy duty!

The white plastic served what purpose? To trap moisture? :confused::confused::confused:
Apparently Honda is listening to road noise complaints and adding insulation pads at the factory. They are well stuck on so no moisture gets under

-Rg

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I've used it before to block noises from a cummins diesel in a boat. Granted, it doesn't make it quiet, but it makes it so you can talk to people above the sound, which is a VERY heavy duty matting.

I don't know what the white plastic did, but it wasn't everywhere, just in little patches. maybe it was just to hold the door panels in place while they put them on. Same with how GM vehicles use duct tape to hold the wires all still while they put the side interior panels on. I know people feel its weird because they think the wires are all held and connected with duct tape, and they freak out when they see it. I think the white plastic serves that, because it was covering the wires that go to the electric door locks and window controls.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Oh I know what you are talking about. The water proofing plastic so that the water in the door does not make its way into the cabin or mess up upholstered door panels. It is put in with the softest stickiest messiest black caulking on the '08 I have ever seen! :(

I though you were referring to the floorpan and rear floor. That did not make any sense.

And this 2" stuff goes in the doors? For good acoustics with the speakers open to the door interior?

-Rg

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thinner. Much thinner. pretty much paper thin and tears easy.
Yeah, I guess you are right. Maybe the door plastic is only 2 mill.
Actually on the '08 it might have had a light blue color. I do not think it was pure white. Not transparent either.

Well its night night time. :)

-Rg

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Oh I know what you are talking about. The water proofing plastic so that the water in the door does not make its way into the cabin or mess up upholstered door panels. It is put in with the softest stickiest messiest black caulking on the '08 I have ever seen! :(

I though you were referring to the floorpan and rear floor. That did not make any sense.

And this 2" stuff goes in the doors? For good acoustics with the speakers open to the door interior?

-Rg
Exactly, also place with large gaps between the plastic interior and the actual door have a double layer of padding so the plastic doesn't vibrate. I had no issue with that plastic stuff, it was just abig piece of tape, no black caulking or "white death" (marine caulking). The insulation dramatically reduced the road noise outside as well, and keep all the cars vibrations to a minimum, whereas stock, everything is this car vibrated. ijust need to find an easy way to keep the flip-up table from vibrating, or getting rid of it.

I'd say the sound and heat proof stuff is the cheapest, and a pretty good way to go, I don't know about dynamat, since itcan't keep the door panels themselves from vibrating very well in my experience, it's more for a sound effect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm getting ready to add sound deadening material to my crv. I started with a little RoadKill but it's like the Dynomat and is expensive. I've ordered some stuff that gets great reviews from this company:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_24&products_id=786

You can order as little as one sq foot and they have great how to videos.

My stuff should be in this week. I'm starting with the storage area below my picnic table. 06SECRV

·
Registered
586 Posts
Flatmate looks like it will do the job! I find a good set of tires goes along ways to sound deadening things , and of course with the correct pressures. I won't mention the pressure I run as it tends to rile Radar24<grin>:D Hal

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Flatmate looks like it will do the job! I find a good set of tires goes along ways to sound deadening things , and of course with the correct pressures. I won't mention the pressure I run as it tends to rile Radar24<grin>:D Hal
Ah come on! Is it 3,000 PSI?

I run mine at -32 Hg". That way I can use my tires to evacuate my A/C.

You are such a tease Hal!

FatMat? Maybe I will just try sitting on my floor. I can call it FatButt.
Huge quantities of natural 'green' cellulite sound deadening.
Actually it is fairly white where the sun don't shine...butt that is a minor detail. :D

-Rg

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi Radar:

Are you getting any fall color on the East Coast yet. Must be a beautiful area in the fall and of course probable all year around? I hope to make a trip from Florida
up the east coast all the way to Nova Scotia one year soon. The East Coast has always intrigued me, so better do it while I still have a drivers licence! :D Anyway I'm glad I got a rise out of you,have a good one, Hal

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
No not here yet on anything but a few isolated trees. Or neighbor's White Maple is starting to turn. It gets a beautiful purplish red color.

With all of the rain it might be a few days late this year. Besides shorter days I think dryness sets them off to turn color too. Anything that slows down the photosynthesis will do it I suppose. They say that fall color is just a lack of green pigment from photosynthesis.

I never been to Nova Scotia. The farthest East I have been has been Acadia Nat Park. My Dad and I climbed Cadillac Mt hiking. But that was not much of a Mt. A couple of years before we did Mt Washington and the Southern Presidential Range all in one day. I think he was in his late 60's then.

If you left now and took it slow it sure would be a nice trip. It will be peaking in NH up near Canada soon I think. It has already turned somewhat up North of the White Mt Nat Forest. Then you can hit the Blue Ridge Mountains on your way home in a couple of weeks. The guys from N. Carolina would know better about the timing there. Maybe it is a little tater by a few more weeks.

The pictures I see of Nova Scotia in the fall are really beautiful with the ocean nearby. That was part of the attraction of Acadia Nat Park in Maine without not having to drive that far. The ocean and the park were very nice and not to crowded in Acadia. We camped there in tents at the state park. If you want to go fishing you need to time it just right though. All the Blues and Strippers do not seem to make a stop there very long. They continue up the coast I was told. So you can hit then on the way up in the early summer and on the way back in the fall if you are a local. Possibly about now or in a few weeks. I think at Chappaquiddick on The Cape all of the northern New England Strippers and Blues make their migration south by Chappaquiddick in October to sometime early November. Now that is some nice fishing. Huge strippers and Blues just about every cast.

The fisting of warmer water species in Florida cannot be beat in the winter. We used to go to Sebastian Inlet around Christmas. There the Snook, Reds, Pompano, Southern Flounder and other types was great too.

I really miss all that fishing.

I hear the Blue Ridge MTS are really beautiful in the fall. I have only seen them in the early summer. On the other hand maybe by then you will have had your fill of color!

-Rg

·
Registered
10 Posts
This fatmat stuff is the same thing we use in roofing and when putting in windows, peel and stick rubber.

Should be able to get this at a professional roof and\or window shop by the roll...on the cheap

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just brought home a 2013 EX-L. In the wheel well is a fabric padding. I assume this is for sound proofing? Won't this soak up water and hold grit against the underside of the cabin? Vibration can be a terrible thing! It won't be long to something rusts through. SHoouldn't the sound proof fabric be inside the cabin and undercoating underneath? There is no undercoating under the spare tire well either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts