Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cousin just bought a 2002 CR-V. We replaced a Sony headunit with a Kenwood DEH-2100IB, because the Sony AUX wouldn't play the iPod for some reason.

The unit works, powers up, plays the iPod no problem from both the BUS input in the rear and the aux in the front. But when my cousin hits a bump or closes his door, the audio cuts out and it'll take like 5 minutes until it comes back (this includes radio and CD). We thought it was the HU, so we exchanged it...and still the same problem occurs.

What could be causing this?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
One of the speakers or wires is touching metal. Only way that could happen. Open the doors up and cover the speaker wire terminals with tape or something to keep them from touching the metal of the doors, or check your connections in the back of the HU for possible ground-outs. Whenever a speaker, or the wires touch metal, the sound of everything cuts out, and will not come back till the speaker or wire is no longer touching metal. As time goes by, it will just eventually not turn on. So take apart the doors (if there are aftermarket speakers) and pull the Head unit out and check everything.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
you are 100% right :) Aftermarket radio's are smart enough that when they see a ground from speaker wires, or even a badly blown speaker, that it tries to save itself by not letting itself ground out, so no sound!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hrrmmmm...this might make sense. He told me it stopped cutting out once he switched the position of the HU from below the din pocket, to above it. I assume by raising it, the wires are no longer able to touch anything there. I'll tell him to wrap off any extra/exposed wires with electrical tape.

Thanks, gang.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
all the wires should be crimp capped or soldered and taped, or heat shunk. Anything less is asking for a fire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts