Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a price for 4 keys from dealer for $333.33, and $90 for cutting and programing, plus tax. Seems a little steep. Is there a source for the correct key, that is programmable, for less money? If so, where?
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but could not find any links. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Google and then take them to be cut and programmed.

Options are always only dealer or locksmith for cut and program due to their design and the chips to mate to the immobilizer system.

Hell Its 150 a key here because of lack of options to do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Tiger. I had a 08 before and got keys off the interweb, took them to dealer to get them cut and programmed. Dealer said they would not program because they did not have a genuine Honda Chip in them. I have found them for a little over $10 a copy, up to $60 a copy. The programing is the problem. Either a locksmith or the dealer must do it, unless you want to purchase a $600 program for your smart phone to program you own keys, or replacement EUC.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My way of doing things is one spare thats programmed for each (since each of my hondas came with 1 key), still need to get one for my CRV but at $150.... then if I need more just get a cheap key and have it cut for the doors. Stupid thing is my locksmith still charges 100 for just an unprogrammed key because of the chip. But $50 for under 2 minutes of work to program. Watched them do it for my odyssey. And not a honda key. They told me its cause of the type of key and chip and I told them I dont need the chip, didnt matter. Ive still been debating on buying a couple cheap keys to have them cut for door keys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bumping this thread because I just bought a used 2007 CR-V LX and it only has one key. When I bought my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser I found instructions online for programming the key myself which worked out, and I was hoping I could do the same for the CR-V. I found these instructions after some Googling:

https: // blog.keylessentryremotefob . com/2013/07/2007-honda-crv-key-fob-remote . html
(I just registered, so I'm not allowed to post links yet...hopefully this gets through)

...but I don't want to waste my time (and risk making my one good key no good) if these instructions are false and I really need to bring it to my Honda dealer to get it done right. Can anyone confirm for certain?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Meh...I just re-skimmed those instructions and I just noticed that it says that the instructions are good for programming the fob, but that I'd still need a dealer to program the transponder. So it looks like I'll have to shell out some money to Honda.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.