Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a recent experience with a irreparable, flat tire that found me riding on the compact spare in an area where distances between towns of any size are measured in the hundreds of miles. That was a problem because the donut spare that came with my 3rd gen 2011, is only supposed to be driven @ 45 to 50 mph for a total distance of 50 to 70 miles.

Why was that a problem?... I was on an interstate with an 80 mph speed limit doing 50 to 55 mph where everyone else is doing 85 to 90. I got lucky and didn’t get run over by any one of the many 18 wheelers barreling down the highway as I limped along. I got VERY lucky and found a small town only 35 miles away where the only tire shop in town had one off brand tire that would fit my CR-V. Had they not had a tire, i would have had to stay in town until a tire could be shipped in.... $$$ .

Had I had a full size spare, I would have had no problem at all continuing on my way until I found a decent sized town where I could easily get the kind of tire I wanted.

When I got home I vowed to chunk that compact spare and put a full size tire in its place. The CR-V is our vacation car and we do a lot of travelling in the western states where you can find yourself out in the middle of nowhere for very long distances.

Below are pictures of how I modified things so that I could carry a full size tire.

1. Take off the foam blocks that are on the underside of the cargo area floor panel:

a. This shows the blocks all on except one:

b. Using a wood chisel by hand, I gently & slowly worked each block off. This left a flat surface that would ride on top of the full size tire:

2. Make side and rear supports for the floor panel so that the top edges of the supports are even with the top of the tire. They only need to be 3/4 “ thick. Velcro them so that they will stay in place. Note that the bolt that holds the compact spare in place can be changed so that it will secure a full size tire:

3. The final product. Note that I have only lost about 1/2 “ of vertical storage space:

Now I can travel in sparsely populated areas with peace of mind because I no longer have to rely on that *%#@ compact spare.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I dig it! Kudos for doing something that I wish they had done at the factory to begin with...

(random questions though - where'd you get the spare + rim? and about how much did it cost you?)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
When they did away with the swing out rear door, they also did away with a full size matching spare to what was on the vehicle.

2 things I miss from the 1st & 2nd gen's.

Nice work getting one in there, well worth it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
(random questions though - where'd you get the spare + rim? and about how much did it cost you?)
I bought a used rim from a wheel shop for $125. I'm sure I could have gotten one cheaper in another part of town but I just didn't feel like running all over Houston for it. On the other hand, I may have had a hard time finding one because I have an LX with steel rims. You don't see many LX's around here.

The tire I put on the used rim was the off brand tire I had to buy to get home on. The tire was an "Achilles Desert Special" (like I said, off-brand ). I think it was made in Indonesia. It was a bit noisy so it was the perfect candidate for the spare. That Achilles cost me $175 because I bought it in a small town at a no name shop that had no competition.

Of course I then had to buy yet another tire to take the place of the Achilles that became the spare. I bought a tire of the type that was already on my CR-V's 3 other wheels (Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia). I reallylike the Ecopia as it is much quieter than the OEM tires were.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to Photobucket.com, my pictures for this mod disappeared. It took me a while but I found another site to host my pics so I edited my original post to put the pictures back in.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When I post pictures, I just click on the "Insert Image" button and upload them directly from my laptop. It's so easy, am I doing something wrong? (Pic is when I was installing the tow bar baseplate.)

2014 Honda CRV small.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice job! Have a question though - how do you change the bolt to secure the full size spare? Top of the bolt is attached to plastic top that goes in middle of tire. See no way to remove and then re-insert. Have a full size spare but can't secure...about 1" too short.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Of course I then had to buy yet another tire to take the place of the Achilles that became the spare. I bought a tire of the type that was already on my CR-V's 3 other wheels (Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia). I reallylike the Ecopia as it is much quieter than the OEM tires were.
if it is just for the spare, probably worth keeping one of the 4 old tires when a new set is purchased. I think that is a good time to do the switch. thanks for your details. w/my accord I learned to have the pressure in spare cked each time i had the tires rotated. after 2 flat spares when needed, learned my lesson!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you look closely at the bolt that holds your spare down, you'll see that it can accommodate either a small donut spare or a full size tire.

Here is the bolt set up for a full sized, "Normal" spare:

If I wanted to reconfigure it back to the donut spare, I'd simply remove the bolt by squeezing the clips, then put it through the side that is labeled "temporary tire":

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you look closely at the bolt that holds your spare down, you'll see that it can accommodate either a small donut spare or a full size tire.

Here is the bolt set up for a full sized, "Normal" spare:

If I wanted to reconfigure it back to the donut spare, I'd simply remove the bolt by squeezing the clips, then put it through the side that is labeled "temporary tire":

That's my point - with the bolt set up for a full size spare it is about an inch to short to thread through the bottom hole on the rim I bought from Discount Tire ($76). Honda wants over $400 - not paying that esp if there's no guarantee it will work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's my point - with the bolt set up for a full size spare it is about an inch to short to thread through the bottom hole on the rim I bought from Discount Tire ($76). Honda wants over $400 - not paying that esp if there's no guarantee it will work.
Don't understand. Reconfiguring the bolt allows me to secure down either the full size tire or the little donut spare. It should allow you to do the same.

I have the LX with the steel rims but that shouldn't make a difference.

BTW, I've got a 2011.

Are you certain that Discount tire sold you the correct rim? I bought my spare rim at a local wheel shop and it is the exact kind that came with my CRV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't understand. Reconfiguring the bolt allows me to secure down either the full size tire or the little donut spare. It should allow you to do the same.

I have the LX with the steel rims but that shouldn't make a difference.

BTW, I've got a 2011.

Are you certain that Discount tire sold you the correct rim? I bought my spare rim at a local wheel shop and it is the exact kind that came with my CRV
It was the only rim that DT had for the CR-V for my 2014 EX. Bolt def is too short...the DT guy tried to secure and then went to my local Honda dealer. Neither could explain why it won't fit. You'd think an authorized Honda part would work, wouldn't you? How much did you pay for the rim at the local wheel shop? DT charged me $76.....Like I said, the Honda dealer wanted over $400!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was the only rim that DT had for the CR-V for my 2014 EX. Bolt def is too short...the DT guy tried to secure and then went to my local Honda dealer. Neither could explain why it won't fit. You'd think an authorized Honda part would work, wouldn't you? How much did you pay for the rim at the local wheel shop? DT charged me $76.....Like I said, the Honda dealer wanted over $400!!!!
I paid $125 for my spare rim at a wheel shop near my house. I'll admit that it was high priced but I was in a hurry to get it as I had another long trip coming up. Given what I paid for mine, I'd say you did well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You probably tried this but did you flip the tire over so that the rim is closest to the bottom of the wheel well? I was initially puzzled when trying to fit the bolt but suddenly realized I had to flip the tire :) Just a guess here.

I also did this mod. I went to a junk yard and purchased a spare rim at $125. It had some scratches but otherwise in good condition. I put a new tire on it as I just purchased 4 new tires at Goodyear. I asked them to check for warping or a bent rim just in case. Anyway, I placed the tire in the wheel well and the trunk cover raises up about an inch in the back area. Instead of raising the entire area with wood or something I just put two of the foam blocks in each corner in the back to relieve and weight from anything put on the trunk cover.

This is not optimal and I wish a full-size spare would simply fit. My next vehicle will definitely have a full-size spare. I feel a lot safer driving distances with a full-size spare though.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The stock alloys for my '07 are 17" diameter by 6-1/2" width. Most aftermarket wheels are 7-1/2" wide, so that could create an issue. I plan to try and do this mod too, but I most definitely do not want my cover to ride higher than stock. I need the cargo floor to be flat and stable, as I haul stuff all the time, some of it heavy.
Unfortunately, my car came used with aftermarket 18" wheels, which renders the stock space-saver spare useless on my AWD. Since I don't like the wheels and tires anyway, I plan to find a set of stock alloys, five of them. The stock tire size is either 225 or 235 in width, so I'm thinking if I get a 215 (or possibly even a 205) width tire for the spare it might work as long as tire diameter is the same (28"). No idea if it will work, but I will try and see. It's not at the top of my list but it is on it. My current set of tires, the ones that came on it, have a 29" diameter, but I can get 18-inchers that are 28" diameter, so I'll do that when it's time, but meanwhile I can't use the space saver spare I have, so if I have an issue on the road I will be stuck. So I am going to have to deal with this sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always check for a spare when buying a car. If I wanted a full size spare I would make it part of the deal. No spare, no deal. Makes it their problem.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
That's an excellent answer - I like it! But it also works best only on new car dealing. With a used car, your seller will likely just look at you and say no. The only thing you can do then is try to wiggle the price downward a little more. The thing is , in the end, like you say, when buying a car, it's your money, so you have the leverage as long as you choose to keep it. There are lots of cars out there, so you can always just walk away and keep looking. But if this is the only issue, you might just have to make your best deal and deal with it on your own. There are always little things like this to consider with used cars.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The last time I ever had to use a spare tire in any of our vehicles was back in 1997.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts