Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check the spare tire pressure and found the bottom of the well covered with rust. I kayak here in Sarasota and alway put my wet gear in a large plastic bin before putting them in my 2014 CRV. But friends I'm transporting often put their wet gear in Ikea plastic bags and one must have leaked months, if not years ago, as the surface taste salty.
I've scraped up some of the black, rubbery plastic that covers much of the well bottom and sanded down the worse of the rust. There are several spots that have rusted through that I will patch.
My questions: Is there a product that I can spray that will adhere to the semi-rusty surface? Does anyone have experience with this or a similar product?
Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator - Paint Over Rust

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You linked exactly what I was going to tell you to get. As a tech and I know many techs, we all live in the upper midwest which is rust belt territory, we all swear by that paint.

Main thing, sand it as much as possible to minimize rust, especially anything that can come loose. Dont want flakes that will work loose. And make sure to clean well (rag and alcohol) before painting to make sure there is no loose dust left behind. Also go past area to be painted all around in your standing and cleaning. This way when you paint, the pain adheres past the damaged area to make a better seal.

Dont be cheap either, probably want 2 cans for the spare tire well as you want enough coats to make a decent layer. Let cure for several days at least with nothing in there. Then cover entire spare tire well on both sides with spray cans of bed liner to better protect it.

We dont always spray on bed liner over the easton, depends on where the issues are. A spare tire well deals with the tire, moisture being trapped etc on the inside and things being kicked up on the under side. So extra protection is a good idea once the metal is sealed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have no personal experience with the product.. but what about Flex Seal? Available as a spray, brush on, and adhesive sheets. Flex Seal Liquid They certainly advertise the heck out of it on TV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looked at the directions for use and there is absolutely nothing about preparing the surface, which is highly unusual. Found a product for Rust-Oleum Automative Rust Remover Spray that does the same thing as the Easton product but 1/5 the price. Not looking to be cheap but Rust-Oleum is a reputable brand.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,196 Posts
POR-15 is a well-known product for painting over rust.

As the name implies (POR = Paint Over Rust) is made to be painted directly over the rust, just wire-brush any loose flakes away (which you have already done) and paint it. (All the prep materials, even gloves and a brush, are included in the linked kit.)

You can even fill holes with fiberglass mesh, use the POR as a resin.

This product received a testimonial years ago at a car club meeting...a body-shop manager said "I hate when folks repair their car with POR15, it is too difficult to remove!".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts