Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie here,
will a mk2 cover fit a mk1
also is anything else need, it fitting kit or does it just zip onto the wheel ?

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
390 Posts
A second-generation wheel cover should fit the spare tire of a first-generation wheel just fine. The tire size from 2002 through 2005 is supposed to be the same as 97 through 2001.

I helped my ex got her CRV before I got mine, however. Her car had a 2nd generation hard spare tire cover in it when she bought it. I was never able to get that thing to fit on the spare tire though. Somehow she managed it later on, but I am amazed anybody can get those things on the wheel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just thought I’d chime in here concerning tire covers. I never cared for those covers and when I bought my ‘98 it didn’t have one and I never put one on. Well, bad move as this is what can happen with the unprotected spare sitting out in the sun, rain and snow and especially when it’s not kept in a garage like our 2 CR-V’s.

What was scary was I had just finished washing the car and I had cleaned and polished the rim on the spare! Several hours later I came out of the house and this is what greeted me. Luckily there was no damage to the car or to ME!

Needless to say, I immediately started searching online for covers.There was a guy selling replacement 1st and 2nd gen. covers, (yes they’re the same), on Ebay awhile back at a bargain price. I purchased one and it was like you said Lochinvar, a real bear to get on. Took all my strength and tons of time to stretch the darn thing on.

Awhile after that I decided I better check the air pressure in the spare. Talk about a bear getting it on, it was just as bad getting it OFF! I decided to check with the guy on Ebay that I bought it from to see if he had any of the covers left. Luckily he had one more left and I bought it as a spare because if I ever need to use the spare, I’m ripping or cutting the darn cover off! 😡

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
390 Posts
That's awesome, in a nuclear-bombs-do-a-lot-of-damage sort of awesome.

TBH tho, I've had that happen to a tire I was driving on. It's way better for it to happen to the spare than a tire you're driving on. I don't really think a tire being in use, rather than on the back, is going to prevent that from happening.

It looks more like a defective tire, rather than environmental. All 5 of your tires are going to experience the same environmental conditions, regardless of position. The only difference is that when you use your tires, it warms the rubber up so the side walls don't dry out and crack. It is that cracking that the spare cover is meant to prevent, not tread separation.

I'd say you're lucky it was the spare, and that you weren't driving when it happened. Really nasty stuff can happen if the tread separates on a tire you're driving on.

What model tire was that BTW? The tire that happened to all my car was a BFG.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I just thought I’d chime in here concerning tire covers. I never cared for those covers and when I bought my ‘98 it didn’t have one and I never put one on. Well, bad move as this is what can happen with the unprotected spare sitting out in the sun, rain and snow and especially when it’s not kept in a garage like our 2 CR-V’s.

View attachment 140599

View attachment 140600

What was scary was I had just finished washing the car and I had cleaned and polished the rim on the spare! Several hours later I came out of the house and this is what greeted me. Luckily there was no damage to the car or to ME!

Needless to say, I immediately started searching online for covers.There was a guy selling replacement 1st and 2nd gen. covers, (yes they’re the same), on Ebay awhile back at a bargain price. I purchased one and it was like you said Lochinvar, a real bear to get on. Took all my strength and tons of time to stretch the darn thing on.

Awhile after that I decided I better check the air pressure in the spare. Talk about a bear getting it on, it was just as bad getting it OFF! I decided to check with the guy on Ebay that I bought it from to see if he had any of the covers left. Luckily he had one more left and I bought it as a spare because if I ever need to use the spare, I’m ripping or cutting the darn cover off!
Wrong on so many levels.

Billions of cars sit outside in the hottest, coldest, worst weather world wide daily and that is never an issue.

The issues is if that tire was ancient, over inflated. Been sitting there for for years, finally just rotted and blew out. Just like any other of the 4 tires.

Ya covered it may have lasted a little longer (keeps the sunlight from increasing degradation of the rubber) but it would have happened either way eventually.

This is why spare tires are made differently and stored inside where no light or anything can reach them. To increase their life. But still exposed to temperature extremes and age like anything else.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's awesome, in a nuclear-bombs-do-a-lot-of-damage sort of awesome.

TBH tho, I've had that happen to a tire I was driving on. It's way better for it to happen to the spare than a tire you're driving on. I don't really think a tire being in use, rather than on the back, is going to prevent that from happening.

It looks more like a defective tire, rather than environmental. All 5 of your tires are going to experience the same environmental conditions, regardless of position. The only difference is that when you use your tires, it warms the rubber up so the side walls don't dry out and crack. It is that cracking that the spare cover is meant to prevent, not tread separation.

I'd say you're lucky it was the spare, and that you weren't driving when it happened. Really nasty stuff can happen if the tread separates on a tire you're driving on.

What model tire was that BTW? The tire that happened to all my car was a BFG.
I don’t remember what model it was but I’ve never been a fan of BFG. I put an expensive set of BFG’s on a Toyota pickup I had several years ago and even with regular rotation and balancing, they wore out way too quickly.

I’ve experienced exploding tires twice in my 56 years of driving and both while on the freeway. Once in a fairly new Subaru and another on a motorcycle. Very scary to say the least! I had a motorcycle even before I had my first car and was lucky that I had the skill to wrestle it off to the shoulder but skill or not, I was lucky I didn’t go down immediately.

Wrong on so many levels.

Billions of cars sit outside in the hottest, coldest, worst weather world wide daily and that is never an issue.

The issues is if that tire was ancient, over inflated. Been sitting there for for years, finally just rotted and blew out. Just like any other of the 4 tires.

Ya covered it may have lasted a little longer (keeps the sunlight from increasing degradation of the rubber) but it would have happened either way eventually.

This is why spare tires are made differently and stored inside where no light or anything can reach them. To increase their life. But still exposed to temperature extremes and age like anything else.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Well I guess you’re an expert on this sort of thing and what you say has merit but you are mistaken in that this sort of thing NEVER is an issue. Tires blow out all the time and that’s why you see so many tire tread pieces on the interstates and why truckers drive with two wheels on the end of each axle.

Besides when I took the car in to the large tire distributor I deal with a few towns away to have the spare replaced, the manager said this is not that uncommon of an occurrence. He said he’s seen a few of these in his several years of working there where the spare is carried exposed like on the CR-V’s. He also said exploding tires while driving is not uncommon either.

I don’t know how old the tire was or what exactly caused it to explode but I’m sure glad I wasn’t near it when it happened!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don’t know how old the tire was or what exactly caused it to explode but I’m sure glad I wasn’t near it when it happened!
It may not have been super explosive. The air bladder looks like it was still intact.

When my tire went, it did not deflate at all. The air bladder was still completely intact, but the tread separated and started hitting the side of the car. That's what did all the damage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting about the bladder.

I don’t mean to continue to expand on the OP’s thread but I still believe a spare tire cover is a viable choice. Sure the mounted tires get the same ultraviolet rays and bad weather as the spare but they are treated with shade now and then as the sun’s continued journey across the sky. The spare is always out in the open and gets no relief from the sun’s ultraviolet rays most of the time.

This all reminds me once when my wife was traveling to the big city about an hour from us several years ago where we do our grocery shopping. She was traveling in the fast lane and suddenly the car in front of her, (not a semi), blew out a rear tire and part of the tread crashed against her CR-V’s windshield and took out the driver’s side windshield wiper.

Anyway, interesting discussion and I’m done here but I’m so glad for this great site and you owner’s advice that helps us keep these wonderful 1st. generation CR-V’s running that we love.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Tigris99 is correct on this issue. My spare tire (same factory installed BFG) also had this same failure. The tire was also covered with a spare tire cover it's entire life. I took the cover off for a couple weeks while I messed around with color options for the wheels. Driving down the highway one day after work and saw something flapping in the rear-view, yep it was the blown apart tire.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think the issue we're overlooking is that most tires wear out quickly enough that they don't have problems like this. If you driving on a tire, you're not going to be inspecting it for age related problems, you're going to be checking it for tread wear, and then the tire gets replaced when the treads wear out.

The spare tire, on the other hand, will have more age related problems because it will typically be your oldest tire because you're not driving on it.

Sure, you're like the 'tire's so old it failed', but how old is that tire? Is it possible that spare tire has been sitting on back of the car unused since before your last three sets of tires were mounted on the car?

That spare is not getting any tread wear while sitting on the tailgate, but it's still going to wear out from age in the same period of time that it would have taken those tires you wore through the treads of six years ago, that you bought at the same time as the spare.

I think if we were all keeping track of our spare tires as closely as we keep track of the tires we're driving on, we'll find most of us have spare tires that are many times older than the tires we're driving on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sure, you're like the 'tire's so old it failed', but how old is that tire? Is it possible that spare tire has been sitting on back of the car unused since before your last three sets of tires were mounted on the car?
That's precisely my case. 22 year old tire sitting unused on the back of the vehicle. I'm the 3rd owner of the vehicle, knew the 2nd owner who inherited it from his grandfather who bought it new.

What people should be doing, is rotating the spare into the normal rotation of the other wheels so it gets used evenly like the others.

·
Registered
390 Posts
What people should be doing, is rotating the spare into the normal rotation of the other wheels so it gets used evenly like the others
no no no. Never ever rotate the spare on to the car. The only thing that will do is make the wear on all the tire's completely uneven. Especially don't do that on a four-wheel drive car, where all four of your road wheels must match exactly.

Just accept that the spare tire is as disposable as the other tires. The spare is not on the car to be used. It is there in case of an emergency. Replace your unused spare tire every two or three sets of road tires, and you'll be fine.

imagine it's like the emergency food you have at home in case of a natural disaster. It's not something you want to eat, but it will have to be tossed and replaced eventually anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts