Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 CR-V (UK-spec, with the spare wheel on the back door) and I need to carry 3 bikes. The most convenient way of doing it is to buy a "4X4" bike carrier, which simply slips over the spare wheel. I have found a carrier which takes 3 bikes, with a maximum weight limit of 45kg. So far, so good.

The one thing that concerns me is that I'm uneasy about hanging that sort of weight on the spare wheel (the total weight of my bikes is about 40kg). I've tried contacting Honda UK and the dealer that sold me the car to find out what the recommended weight limit is, but I'm not getting a lot of joy.

Can anyone help me? Am I being over cautious? Would you do it? Do you know what the weight limit is?

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
522 Posts
3 bikes? I wouldn't do it. The hinges and the spare wheel mount are not designed for any additional weight. I believe that is why Honda dealers, who sell a host of approved accessories, do not sell those carriers.
If I had to carry bikes like you do, I would look into a hitch and the associated bike carriers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Consider adding a roof rack bike carrier.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/CRV02BIKE.pdf
Buy two of the above will allow you to add two to an existing roof rack.

If you don't have the cross bars, you can get these...http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/02CRVRACK.pdf.

Then if you need to, you can still tote a bike or two with a tire attachment. I agree that three bikes along with the spare tire is a lot of weight on the Tire mount.

I don't know where you can get one, but you could also try a trailer hitch bike carrier.

Good luck,
Mark

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I am not a fan at all of roof top bike carriers - you have to lift the bikes up there, risking scratching your car in the process, or worse, hurting your back.

I like the idea of a decent hitch and a hitch carrier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the yakima two bike spare tire carrier ( yakima super joe i think its called). It holds them OK however the bikes sometimes hang too close to the ground. Ive never really considered it to much weight because i believe it spreads out over the whole unit and the tire and holder. if you do get the rack you mentioned make sure your bikes will have adequate clearance. Also make sure the rack attaches securely to the tire, the yakima rack just uses straps and seems a bit sketchy. I agree with 2redvs a hitch mounted rack is probably the safest bet, but if you dont already have a hitch it starts to add up buying both the hitch and rack.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with everyone - especially about the back issue. I have strained my back in the past, and it isn't fun. Luckily it has only been muscles, nothing worse.
I would be upset if my car got scratched up too. I really didn't think about that one.
However, the original post was asking about a carrier hosting 3 bikes! That is still a lot of weight for a small car to be carried on something like the spare tire who's mount isn't designed to carry much more than itself.

I have seen cars that have two or three bikes on the back and the bikes nearly drag the ground. One good bump on the road and there goes the bikes.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It also depends on how much weight is on the back tire. What rims are on your V? If they are the factory rims those steel rims are about as heavy as 16s can get. I am not sure that I would want to put more strain on the back tire .

Motegi makes a rim that only weighs 9 lbs and the MOMO rims on my V are very lightweight.

So If you have aftermarket rims that are lightweight than I wouldn't see to much of a problem but a rack or a hitch is the absolute answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts