Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CR-V due for new plugs, 110K+ miles. Local dealer wants $299 for the job, seems pretty outrageous to me for four plugs. Is this a job for a home garage or would it be better to just bite the bullet?

Any tiups or suggestions would be both welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Wow, do they wash the car before you get it back too?
This should be a fairly easy DIY job but there are things to look out for.
If I were doing this myself I'd pull the wires off the plugs and check to see if the valve cover gasket is leaking before attempting to remove the plugs. If not, I'd make sure the 'wells' are clean and free of any debris that might fall into the open hole when the plug is removed. If they're clean and the gasket is good to go, it should just be as easy as remove/replace the plug, being sure to torque the plug to the correct spec (I don't know what that is, I'd have to google it).
Others will chime in with other suggestions I'm sure, but I agree, $299 for changing four plugs is pretty expensive even if they're charging $25 for each plug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 CRV that I need to change the plugs and wires on also. But, I can't even find them. Where are the located on the engine? Are they staring at me and I'm just not seeing it???

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here is a video, precisely same on all hondas, generic enough

Note that NGK does NOT RECOMMEND use of anti seize on new plugs as you can overtorque easily. Get a torque wrench and tighten to recommended value

http://youtu.be/8fafV5fhBE8

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ever heard of youtube? Changing plugs should be easy and straightforward. Use NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug (IZFR6K11) or a lower cost Denso PK20TT Platinum TT Spark Plug should do the trick. These fit my 06 CRV so double check the plugs for yours.
BTW , my local honda dealer wanted 150 to change my plugs, No F'ing way I'm paying that for 4 spark plugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
haven't seen much on them (a few good reviews) but the concept made sense so i just put the Denso tt plugs in my 01 crv seems to be running great no problems. defiantly has an quick start-up and idles smooth. and got them at car quest/advanced auto at 3.29 a plug.:)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The $150 I can see (wouldn't pay it myself), not the $299. With shop rates at $100 hr or more in a lot of locations, plus the dealer mark up on the plugs, shop supplies and waste disposal, it would be easy for them to hit the buck fifty mark.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Note that NGK does NOT RECOMMEND use of anti seize on new plugs as you can overtorque easily. Get a torque wrench and tighten to recommended value

http://youtu.be/8fafV5fhBE8
The Autozone guy say it gets too hot so you need the anti seize. It is $1.50 for a small pouch. I am not sure I need it. Anyone else say dont need?

I dont have torque wrench. Can I do 1/4 turn after hand tight?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use anti seize all the time on plugs and I do torque them to 13 ft lbs.
MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COLD WHEN YOU TORQUE THE PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Spark plug change-out is not a difficult job. But, it must be done correctly. Lots of good advice on these posts. YouTube can be your friend in educating how to do a lot of these maintenance items. I change my plugs out at 60,000 miles or earlier, and use the spec branded plug; always with good results. Study up on the 'how to' process, you can do it!

·
Registered
1 Posts

May I join your "Man Club"?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Although the latest post you are replying to is almost 5 yrs old, I myself also use anti-seize on my spark plugs in my .03 Odyssey to , at least in my mind, help guarantee easy removal after around 100k miles.
NGK does recommend NOT to use anti-seize, but I use it and I don't use a torque wrench either. At light settings like this, unless your torque wrench is well calibrated, you can easily just depend on it and strip the spark plug threads, esp if they are lubricated with anti-seize.
Buffalo4

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
481 Posts
Another suggestion, if you will: when replacing your plugs, use a length of 3/8" hose. Attach hose end to spark plug, then lower into well. You will know immediately whether or not you have crossed threads when re-installing your plugs. Once tightened, pull hose off, then tighten to the required torque with your extension & ratchet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts