Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the service manual says for spark plug torque on a 2011 CRV?

I've search all over and have seen some messages and even a YouTube video that says 13 ft-lbs but none of them say where this value came from. I'd like to be sure before I dive in. Some also mention the use of anti-seize compound. If this is the case and Honda really does say 13 ft-lbs, is that the value using the compound or is that when installing the plug dry?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Be careful using anti-seize compound, it makes it very easy to overtighten and strip the threads !! I've always used a "feel" method to tightening but 13 isn't going to cause any damage IMO. If it doesn't "feel" right to you, back it out. Craig

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Biggest problem using a torque wrench is that the torque wrench may not be accurate at the low torque of 13 lb ft, esp if it is a 1/2 or 3/4" drive.
Go to the NGK site and see what they recommend, if you are going to use their plugs.
I believe they say no anti-seize on new plugs. I still always use it on my aluminum head and do not use a torque wrench.
I also believe you are supposed to reduce the torque value when using anti-seize.
However, different spark plug mgfs differ on the amt of less when using anti-seize.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Biggest problem using a torque wrench is that the torque wrench may not be accurate at the low torque of 13 lb ft, esp if it is a 1/2 or 3/4" drive.
I have a small, inch-lb torque wrench. The 13 ft-lb I've seen mentioned for our plugs converts to a value that is about mid range on my wrench. THIS is the wrench I have.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the 07-08 FSM, On p4-20 it says to use anti-seize and torque to 13 ft #.
I did it this way on my 08 EX and would do it the same way on my 11 EX-L.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts