Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the original spark plugs (Denso iridium) on our new 2009 CRV with 98k miles, and wanted to know what you thought about the appearance of the old plugs. They all look pretty much the same, but I attached photos of the worst one. The ground electrode has a white coating with some greenish color in areas. There's also the odor of burning oil, I think.

What do you think? Do they look normal, or is there any cause for concern?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Center porcelain color looks normal, but the metal ring with the side electrode appears to show a slightly rich mixture.

The gap is usually the main thing to be concerned about on modern engines.

Overall, looks OK to me. :D

If you want more info, look up diagnosing spark plug colors on the Internet.

Buffalo4

PS: Hopefully you replaced them with either the identical Denso or NGKs and not Bosch. :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, NGK iridium. I looked at a bunch of diagrams but they always looked like extreme cases. Thanks for the info.

I did notice when we got the car that the short and long term fuel trims were indicating that it was running slightly rich (negative 10-15% combined total). I cleaned and oiled the air filter (it came with a K&N) and the fuel trims seem to have normalized.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I pulled the originals out of a 2005 V a few months back. 141K+ miles on them. 3 looked excellent. The last was similar to what you have pictured but not as extreme with the sooting. It's basically running rich needing more air or perhaps, needing a exhaust valve adjustment. I think if you do a valve job you will find the exhaust valves need a bit more opening, or conversely the intakes are getting enough cold air into the mixture. Either way for almost 100K in mileage they look satisfactory. I'm certain an exhaust valve adjustment would make everything run a bit better. I need to hold a bit for my valve adjustment as I just sunk $90 into a rebuilt starter that I need to install as soon as the paint is dry. It seems to be taking forever, but when family pitches in that is what happens.

The valve adjustments are pretty easy but you will need a new gasket and a good feeler gauge that are pre-bent. They give a truer reading and feel. Not a hard job but a bit of time required to get at the calves and of course disassembly and reassembly but I think you will feel a noticeable difference. Be sure the air filter is change often.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts