Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought at ‘01 CR-V SE 220k miles, and have slowly bringing her back to life with fluid changes/flushes, new parts etc...
I bought some new NGK spark plug wires because I thought they needed replacing, but now I see I already have newer wires (Intermotor), and honestly, I don’t notice any symptoms that would lead me to think they should be changed.
I don’t have service records, but my educated guess is that they were put in 50k miles ago. Should I replace them? Trying to be as budget friendly as possible, while also being prudent and practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
So put the new NGKs on a shelf in your garage, and drive until the Intermotor's need replacing.

Have you adjusted the engine valves since you bought it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I mean is, should I just return the NGKs? Assuming the wires have a long service interval, I may not have to replace them for a long time. Trying to save as much money as I can, as I’m moving to Indiana for medical school this January.

I haven’t gotten to the valve adjustment yet. I am still waiting on my new thermostat to arrive, as I will be changing the water pump and timing belt while I am there and will do a full coolant flush...but, if it seems both items are doing well and do not need replacement, perhaps I can save some money there too...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Yes, if they're still in the box and you have the receipt then return them.

I'm pretty sure the B20 engine is an interference engine, so changing the timing belt is important. The change interval is 60,000 miles under "severe" conditions, which means below -20 F or over 110 F. And a visual inspection of the timing belt is not an accurate way to identify if it needs to be changed.

As for the water pump, if I remember correctly the timing belt has to come off to replace the pump, so just change it while you're in there. Online price looks like $115 for the pump and gasket.

And good luck with your studies!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yeah I have all the parts ready to go, including timing belt, water pump, applicable gaskets, but I keep trying to justify returning the parts to lower my repair budget. Nevertheless, for peace of mind, I’ll replace both items.
For the wires, I will measure their resistance first, just to be safe.
Do you know anything about resetting ignition timing? Is that something I need to do after doing a valve adjustment?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you don't have a copy of the service manual (ugly green thing about 3" thick) then I'd strongly recommend buying one.
I checked eBay, and the prices are all over the place. Please note it never came on a CD so those aren't legal sales. And avoid the Haynes or Chilton manuals as they don't have the details that the Service Manual does.

You can order one directly through helminc.com.
I'm seeing $52 for the print version.

1997-2001 CR-V Service Manual
An average of 1,500 pages of detailed repair instruction and diagrams written by Honda service professionals make this the best manual available for accurate repair. Each Section includes a Table of Contents, and many have a Component Location Index showing parts disassembly sequence, bolt torques, thread sizes, and page references to descriptions in text. Book includes Maintenance Schedules, Specifications, Troubleshooting, Special Tools, Removal/Installation, Disassembly and Adjustment. Repair instruction on Engine Electrical, Engine, Cooling, Fuel and Emissions, Transaxle, Steering, Suspension, Brakes including ABS, Body, Heating/Air Conditioning/Ventilation, Body Electrical and Restraints.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the service manual, and just found the part about ignition timing. Looks like I need a special ignition timing light. I was hoping there was some work around, but not seeing one. Maybe autozone has one for rent...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts