Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted yet to change plugs on there gen 5 crv?
I'm getting ready to hit 60K on mine and have to do a big service.
vehicle needs brake , oil , trans , rear diff fluids all changed.
along with tire rotation , air and cabin filters.
so i figured why not plugs.
I did some research on the plugs and found they are ngk.
found here.
Honda has the for $25 each which is crazy. i found them for $12 each.

also does anyone know if the trans has a filter on it like my old Honda Fit did?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It is unlikely the plugs need changing at this point. You are welcome to do so, of course, but modern plugs can quite-easily go for the manufacturer's interval. (Your MM will tell you when it's time.)

The trans has a filter; it's bolted to the heat-exchanger housing inside the transmission. There is no defined change interval for it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If you are doing the work yourself and are confident, by all means change the plugs.

They are $55 on Amazon for 4.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I agree, probably not necessary at 60K miles, but it looks fairly simple once that goofy resonator is out of the way. Remove one bolt/electrical connector per coil pack, remove coil packs, then remove the spark plugs.

Hey............that thing gotta HEMI.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Has anyone attempted yet to change plugs on there gen 5 crv?
I'm getting ready to hit 60K on mine and have to do a big service.
vehicle needs brake , oil , trans , rear diff fluids all changed.
along with tire rotation , air and cabin filters.
so i figured why not plugs.
I did some research on the plugs and found they are ngk.
found here.
Honda has the for $25 each which is crazy. i found them for $12 each.

also does anyone know if the trans has a filter on it like my old Honda Fit did?
If you have a '17 or '18 V with the 1.5L turbo, the spark plugs have a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty. I received a letter from Honda so stating. It's part of the warranty extension that Honda offered due to the oil dilution issue. Here's link to Consumer Reports article:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If you have a '17 or '18 V with the 1.5L turbo, the spark plugs have a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty. I received a letter from Honda so stating. It's part of the warranty extension that Honda offered due to the oil dilution issue. Here's link to Consumer Reports article:
Thanks for that information.

If the OP really was worried about it, you could always pull the spark plugs and inspect the gap and color to see if there are any issue. Maybe even just check one of them.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
110K maintenance free car i would be at least inspecting them with your car since it sounds like you did not care for a lot.... Just saying

stores charge over kill. can simply go find these plugs on the right site for a hell lot less . careful where you buy.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
One note: The plugs have a smaller hex than standard plugs; 14mm (9/16") Standard plugs are 5/8" or 9/16". Make sure you have the correct size spark plug socket before attempting the job. And, as always, blow out the wells with air before unscrewing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for a the replies everybody.
I think i will do them just for peace of mind. Especially since i’m doing it and it wont cost a furtune.
i’ll post pics of the old ones when they are out for everyone’s amusement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is unlikely the plugs need changing at this point. You are welcome to do so, of course, but modern plugs can quite-easily go for the manufacturer's interval. (Your MM will tell you when it's time.)

The trans has a filter; it's bolted to the heat-exchanger housing inside the transmission. There is no defined change interval for it.
thanks for the filter info. I will leave that alone.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,781 Posts
Check the civic forum, they got the 1.5 before we did and may have done it already

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
I was looking at hte cover on top I said no thanks not worth mytime to demo it got some anti seize, the plug adapter you name it but I rather skip this one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just did the plugs today. Everything was very easy. Well worth it.
Here is a pic of the old ones at 60k.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It really does look like they were getting worn out.

Any idea why one of them is darker and appears to maybe have a pointier electrode?

Are you concerned about that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for posting this. It really does look like they were getting worn out.

Any idea why one of them is darker and appears to maybe have a pointier electrode?

Are you concerned about that?
They are all the same practically. I'm just glad i did them especially since i have gas in the engine. Thankfully mine isn't as bad as others. Now doing my oil changes every 5K.

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
did you apply Anti-Seize and the right torqe specs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Change plugs 40k miles before they are do. Good waste of time and money IMHO. Doesnt hurt anything but there is 0 benefit from it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
If I'm getting slightly rough idling while in gear and stopped at a red light anytime after 50,000 miles, the first thing I'd do is replace the spark plugs, even if the manufacturer's listed replacement interval is 100,000 miles or greater. They're cheap and easy to install. In some cases, there could be more than "0 benefit."

Increases in mileage intervals for any given maintenance item could be the result of better design and/or better quality parts than were used in vehicles of the past. It could also be the result of manufacturers trying to get people to destroy their cars so they will buy another new one in a shorter period of time.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If I'm getting slightly rough idling while in gear and stopped at a red light anytime after 50,000 miles, the first thing I'd do is replace the spark plugs, even if the manufacturer's listed replacement interval is 100,000 miles or greater. They're cheap and easy to install. In some cases, there could be more than "0 benefit."

Increases in mileage intervals for any given maintenance item could be the result of better design and/or better quality parts than were used in vehicles of the past. It could also be the result of manufacturers trying to get people to destroy their cars so they will buy another new one in a shorter period of time.
Since the average age of vehicles on the road is now at a little over 10.5 years, your "glass is half empty so it will destroy your vehicle and have to buy another" theory is pretty much....well...crap

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts