Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
CRV 2010 EX-L 2.4L 4WD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have 2010 CRV 2.4L , I have installed new NGK plugs and after 100Miles the spark plugs got like rust, however the temperature is normal, engine coolant never decrease. what could be the problem.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Maybe that "rust" is a anti-seize compound they put on the plugs before installing?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
That rust is normal because of moisture that gets trapped down inside the spark plug tubes. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
329 Posts
Hi I have 2010 CRV 2.4L , I have installed new NGK plugs and after 100Miles the spark plugs got like rust, however the temperature is normal, engine coolant never decrease. what could be the problem.
Thanks in advance
Where you purchased the plugs? eBay or Amazon? If any of that, congrats with the fakes.

I purchased from Amazon couple mounts ago and that was a fake. I returned them and got from NGK directly.

This is what happened when you going cheap.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Where you purchased the plugs? eBay or Amazon? If any of that, congrats with the fakes.

I purchased from Amazon couple mounts ago and that was a fake. I returned them and got from NGK directly.

This is what happened when you going cheap.
Thanks for the information! How would you know if it's a counterfeit? Clues on how to spot for it?

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
329 Posts
http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html <-This is a NGK site.

Look at this:
There is a lot of the info on the net.
On two of my plugs out of four the gray plastic film was sticking between the ceramic and metal body, but I am sure it is the rare case. The logo was not centered, the batch number stamped on the side was not the same depth, the platinum dot on the ground electrode was faked, the iridium tips was not cylindrical and laser welding was not real, the ground electrodes had different shape and was pressed into the body and not welded in, the gaps was inconsistent (remember - original NGK and Denso is pre-gaped at the factory and do not need a regaping). I did look under microscope and was able to see the shape of the tread out of normal.
Box was not in ideal condition.
The tips of the plugs stick out of the ceramic differently at all plugs.

I was able to see all small defects by using the microscope , many things difficult to see with bare eyes.

Think about the price charged for the fakes, originals cannot have that level.

I purchased counterfeits at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/NGK-ILZKR7B-11S-Laser-Iridium-Spark/dp/B01DMFGRZG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 sellers rating is very high and today price is $35.00 - it vent up from time I purchased. Then it was $27 than went even lower to around $18-19 for some time. But this is the same seller of the counterfeit parts. Be aware!!

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
329 Posts
http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html <-This is a NGK site.

Look at this:
On two of my plugs out of four the gray plastic film was sticking between the ceramic and metal body, but I am sure it is the rare case. The logo was not centered, the batch number stamped on the side was not the same depth, the platinum dot on the ground electrode was faked, the iridium tips was not cylindrical and laser welding was not real, the ground electrodes had different shape and was pressed into the body and not welded in, the gaps was inconsistent (remember - original NGK and Denso is pre-gaped at the factory and do not need a regaping). I did look under microscope and was able to see the shape of the tread out of normal.

I was able to see all small defects by using the microscope , many things difficult to see with bare eyes.

I purchased counterfeits at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/NGK-ILZKR7B-11S-Laser-Iridium-Spark/dp/B01DMFGRZG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 sellers rating is very high and today price is $35.00 - it vent up from time I purchased. Then it was $27 than went even lower to around $18-19 for some time. But this is the same seller of the counterfeit parts. Be aware!!
Almost forgot another thing, resistanse of the fakes varied from 2.6 kOhm to 4.8 kOhm. Real plugs was in 5% range of 5.0 kOhm.

·
Registered
CRV 2010 EX-L 2.4L 4WD
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually in a country with no official NGK dealer I cant be sure that the plugs are not fake

·
Registered
161 Posts

Look at this:

Wow I didnt know this, thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Don't ever buy things like this off Amazon, most are counterfiets. If it says "sold and shipped by AMAZON" then your ok but if you see a 3rd party sellers name then high chance they are fake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts