Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
On the non visible side of the plastic wheel wells. I read on a post somewhere that someone did this and it cut down on road noise. Assume one would have to take off tire to remove the plastic liners but i did watch a video were a shop was doing this just not to a crv. Im going to work on the doors and see what else I get motivated to do..
i'll look through my harddrive to see if i have the pictures under the wheel garnish.
When i did my retrofit and sport bumpers i had them off and believe i took pics.
not 100% sure

not sure i'd put deadening anywhere than interior.
Especially in an area that gets massive condensation and salt (even minimal)
Acoustical caulk .... definitely lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Treated Sub with CCF and put CLD tiles on the back. Also put CLD everywhere I could reach behind the sub.
View attachment 118210

The other side...
View attachment 118218

Both sides from the other direction. Notice the stock resonance prevention stuff on the bottom of the tire area.
View attachment 118226

Drivers Side trim panel. Having extra yellow and green clips were a lifesaver. More tessa everywhere!
View attachment 118234

Pretty much complete. The stock fiber mat went back in the wheel well area and then everything was carefully put back together.
View attachment 118242

Since I have one more photo, here's the stock tweeters as well:
View attachment 118250

Depending on the road, I've measured an 8-10dB reduction in noise using a phone sound meter. 10dB is approximately equivalent to a 50% reduction in perceived noise level (Fechner's law ftw). The speakers sound fantastic as well, much, much higher clarity.

Not pictured, I used weather stripping on the doors behind the mids to prevent some backwaves from cancelling out the signals and to bridge the speakers to the door panels (like the sub)... this theoretically helps with mid-bass.

For next steps, I would swap out the awful Hankook tires, but they're not bothering me enough to not use them until they're done.

Overall a great project for a car I spend 1h/day commuting in. Let me know if you have any questions!
DANG! What a complete description and the photos are wonderful. I am very motivated to match what you've done and will get back to you with any questions as I get the materials ordered and then delivered. BTW - I totally agree with you on the Hankook tires. They are a complete waste. I bought the car (with 26K miles on it) from a Honda engineer in OH and only could stand the OEM tires for about 10K additional miles until I replaced them with Goodyear Comfort-tred Touring tires which are like installing suppressors for a firearm. Much smoother ride and waaaaay quieter. I'd highly recommend them. I recently installed Kumho performance tires on my Corvette in place of the OEM Goodyear run-flats and they were considerable quieter as well.

Thanks!
Mickey Gardner

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sound Deadener Showdown is out of business. Does anyone recommend a replacement product?

"
We are Closed as of February 1st, 2019 for Retirement.
Been a great 10 years. Thanks to all our friends and customers. This site will remain online for a year.

I've noticed that some of our former competitors, like B-Quiet, have set up deceptive search bait that is bringing them up in searches for Sound Deadener Showdown, AS Sound Deadener Showdown. Nobody is currently selling our products.

Thank you."

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread has been amazingly helpful! I'm hoping to upgrade the stock speakers on my 2018 EX-L but I do have some questions which I hope that someone can answer:

I've mostly found that the stock speakers are 6-3/4" meaning that 6-1/2" speakers will need an adaptor. Can someone confirm? What adaptors do you recommend?

I'm only upgrading the speakers for now (no sub on an EX-L) but I'm wondering if I'll need to install the component speaker's crossover for the tweeters? Note that EX-Ls already have tweeters. Or if I can simply replace the speakers with the existing wiring - assuming that the car already has a crossover.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This thread has been amazingly helpful! I'm hoping to upgrade the stock speakers on my 2018 EX-L but I do have some questions which I hope that someone can answer:

I've mostly found that the stock speakers are 6-3/4" meaning that 6-1/2" speakers will need an adaptor. Can someone confirm? What adaptors do you recommend?

I'm only upgrading the speakers for now (no sub on an EX-L) but I'm wondering if I'll need to install the component speaker's crossover for the tweeters? Note that EX-Ls already have tweeters. Or if I can simply replace the speakers with the existing wiring - assuming that the car already has a crossover.
Most 6 1/2" speakers will come packaged with a 6 3/4" adapter. You always should use the crossover this came with the aftermarket speaker since it was designed for it. You also need a speaker wire adapter to wire aftermarket speaker. If you are new to all this, I would order from Crutchfield.com. More expensive but they walk you through everything and include adapter. Good luck.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

Full range is going to the front mids. Your most optimal configuration is to use the new speaker crossover velcroed somewhere behind the door panel.

The stock tweeters are probably crossed, but who knows at what frequency and you could be hobbling your new tweets.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

81 - 89 of 89 Posts