Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 CR-V (LX) and I'm trying to upgrade to some better speakers in the front and rear. I know that it's supposed to use 6.5-inch speakers, but it turns out that many/most 6.5-inch coaxial speakers will not fit the factory speaker cutouts without needing to cut the speaker holes and make them larger. So, I'm trying to find some decent 6.5" aftermarket speakers that will fit the factory cutouts without the need to do any cutting.

If anyone here has upgraded the speakers in their 2001 CR-V (or vehicle with the same speaker cutouts) and did not need to do any cutting for them to fit, what exact speakers did you buy?

Some feedback from those of you who have found speakers that fit properly would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and the Crutchfield link. I don't recall if it was on Crutchfield or on another site that has a compatibility check, but I did specifically check to see if the two sets of 6.5" speakers that I recently bought (Crunch CS65CXS and MB Quart DK1-116) would fit my 2001 CR-V properly and both of them supposedly checked out as fitting in it. However, neither the Crunch nor the MB Quart speakers I bought would fit in the front or the rear. So, I'm not sold on these sites knowing for sure whether or not a speaker will fit a particular vehicle.

So, that's why I was hoping to get some personal feedback from someone with experience installing aftermarket speakers in a 2001 CR-V.

I definitely appreciate you taking the time to reply and share that link with me; I just can't help but to now be skeptical about the reliability of using a website to determine the fitment of a speaker that they sell.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Typically it is a depth issue. OEM speakers are very very shallow in general and many "standard" depth cages need a spacer so they fit properly. Most sites notify if a spacer is needed and offer the proper spacer. Generally using the spacer still leaves room between the speaker and the grill.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There are "shallow" speakers available. At worst, all I've ever had to do was remove some of the plastic shield behind the speakers in the door. A utility knife can handle it. I never will cut metal though. I had to return a pair of speakers which Crutchfield said would fit, but the shape of the rear supports on the speaker prevented them from fitting in the front doors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts