Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about this as I've never seen such black oil before after even only a few thousand miles from an oil change. My oil is blacker than I've ever seen in any other car I've had. Is this the same for others here? Is there anyone who has that normal looking "dark oily brown but still oil looking" oil once there's a few thousand miles on it? Does it have something to do with the very light weight of the oil?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Seeing black oil is nothing new to me (55 years of driving). However, the last vehicle I had that turned the oil black as quickly as the CRV does was a 1985 Dodge van. That was the last carbureted vehicle I owned. The EFI vehicles I've owned did not turn oil black, no darker than honey colored, when it was time to change. Can't say that about the V. I do not see oil level rising in our V, but it sure turns oil black quickly (like in the old carbureted days).

1st time the MM illuminated at 15% was 3904 miles, very black oil. Did a little better the second 15% MM....4520 miles and very black oil. Currently have <8500 miles in 16 months.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I've gotten so used to EFI vehicles that this surprised me. I wonder why it does this?

Personally, I think Sith brand oil is more appropriate! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
when I dumped, and I might have the bag in the garage to the side 1st, 2nd, 3rd, I may have tossed it. I'll look for it over time.

FISH

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,171 Posts
I always understood that DETERGENT oil will turn dark in 500 miles or less. This, because the detergents hold impurities in suspension.

Further, it's been my experience over time that different brands look different 'colors' out of the bottle. The color also changes as oil blending is revised, even with the same brand. (Haven't looked since the advent of SN and SN+ varieties, though.)

Bottom line is, oil color is NOT a good indication of oil 'health' or effectiveness! You need an oil analysis for that. :angel2:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bottom line is, oil color is NOT a good indication of oil 'health' or effectiveness! You need an oil analysis for that. :angel2:
+1. I have three already with the sample for the fourth (the last one before the fix) going out tomorrow. If things go bad I want as much on my side as possible.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I guess I've gotten so used to EFI vehicles that this surprised me. I wonder why it does this?

Personally, I think Sith brand oil is more appropriate! :rofl:
Direct injection produces more soot. Turns your oil black quickly and your tailpipe.

It's very fine soot and does not change lubrication. Mine is usually completely black by 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the engine has a gas solvent constantly washing it.

look at seafoam. they recommend 1.5 oz per qt of oil to decarbonize,clean etc. (that's only 5-6 oz btw, not noticeable on the stick and they recommend only 1-300 miles of driving)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering about this as I've never seen such black oil before after even only a few thousand miles from an oil change. My oil is blacker than I've ever seen in any other car I've had. Is this the same for others here? Is there anyone who has that normal looking "dark oily brown but still oil looking" oil once there's a few thousand miles on it? Does it have something to do with the very light weight of the oil?
I had the same thing on my first oil change so after two weeks I made them change it again. I think they did not change it the first time or used the wrong cheap oil?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Has anyone seen what the fresh 0w20 oil Honda is using looks like before its put in the engine?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
I checked ours with only 5 miles showing.........very clear, hard to see on the orange dipstick........that orange plastic has since disappeared, much easier to read without it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
the engine has a gas solvent constantly washing it.

look at seafoam. they recommend 1.5 oz per qt of oil to decarbonize,clean etc. (that's only 5-6 oz btw, not noticeable on the stick and they recommend only 1-300 miles of driving)
Your mention of using Seafoam in the oil reminded me of a post I saw somewhere (this or another CRV discussion group) suggesting the use of a valve cleaner product that is sprayed into the engine while running - about every 10,000 miles - in an effort to prevent the reported carbon build-up that some direct inject engines are notorious for. Has anyone here heard of that product - or have any thoughts pro or con regarding it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your mention of using Seafoam in the oil reminded me of a post I saw somewhere (this or another CRV discussion group) suggesting the use of a valve cleaner product that is sprayed into the engine while running - about every 10,000 miles - in an effort to prevent the reported carbon build-up that some direct inject engines are notorious for. Has anyone here heard of that product - or have any thoughts pro or con regarding it?
I did see that. That's was going to be my plan. Since then though some videos and info has come out that it may not be sufficient. But it's worthy a try imo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts