Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the steering rack on a 98 CRV AWD and struggling a bit with the attachment point of the steering shaft (just outside firewall) at the pinch bolt and splines where it attaches to the rack input.

SPECIFICALLY, I can't seem to get the shaft to slide UP?

Now, I've actually removed the old rack entirely because it was able to basically fall out of the splines/coupler, but reinstalling by having to "stab" it into the coupler will be ridiculous I'd say.....

....so just to confirm, the steering shaft should collapse, yes???? Tips to get it to move? I believe the splines that slide to allow it to collapse are under the dash from what I saw??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Solved! And yes, I'm an idiot (it's ok, you can say it, never offends me when I deserve it). There is a second pinch bolt shrouded in, well, a shroud. I was only able to find the head by feel. Finger indicates the back side (threads) of said "hidden" bolt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just a little info....I had ordered a new AAE 3120N from RA -- after having a rebuilt Cardone crater after ~8 months on a customer's '02 Taco I won't touch Cardone remans...

anyway on this CR-V I snaked the new rack into place and then found that the right side boot was slid onto the cylinder body way too far...so much so that it wanted to occupy the same space as the RH retainer (see pic). Try as I might I couldn't slide the boot over, so out comes the rack again to mess with the band clamp on the bench. Ironically, in the course of all this the LH band clamp popped open on its own, so I got to mess with BOTH clamps.....but I will say I appreciate my BluePoint clamp crimpers!

Anyway I guess it's a minor thing but make sure there's room for that right side retainer BEFORE you begin the game of Operation required to get the new rack in place

1 - 3 of 3 Posts