Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 (but New-to-Me in 2020) EX 4WD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get my first CR-V. I found a one-owner, 2011 LX with 185k for $5500. I believe the lady had it serviced properly, to include new a/c compressor, but I haven't verified with Carfax, yet. Issues it has:
1) moonroof will close about 85% then reverse as if something is blocking its motion, but there was nothing visible. It will close all the way with help.
2) ticking sound from the front of the engine, as in one of the lifters(?).
3) one tire (driv side) has very slow leak. Will need new tires within a year, regardless, but still tracks straight for now.
4) 20k miles/yr is high, even on a Honda, but 185k is not
What other specifics should I look for in a late Gen-3? Other than on the aftermarket trailer hitch, there was no rust evident. The engine didn't show as much corrosion as I've seen on others. Although louder than my Venza, the xmsn shifts were all smooth after a hard acceleration.
Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
I suggest having a reliable mechanic, with a good OBD2 scanner, to check the car out for you, just in case there are any underlying issue that not shown visually. There are other posts in the forum of people asking the same questions, so check those out as well.

1. the moonroof not closing all the way, could be cause by one or both of the track be out of alignment toward the end, did you notice any issue with how it travel toward the end?
2. ticking sound of from the engine area could be from various sources, so a reliable machanic will diagnose that.
4. 20k ml/yr if it all highway, it should be no issue for a Honda. Hopefully, it did not do a lot of heavy towing, otherwise, you may want to focus on the transmission more closely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ticking sound is the injectors, most likely.

Has the ATF and rear diff fluid been changed?
Yes, per the Carfax report, at 160k (185k now). The report shows oil changes "about" every 10k (missed three over the nine years) at Honda dealerships, along with a bunch of un-itemized "Vehicle serviced" listings so I'll reach out to the dealership to see if they can tell me what exactly was done (one of the reasons I'm purchasing the vehicle is a history of routine dealership-servicings). Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
I would get confirmation on the engine noise. The 2010-2011 had those low friction oil rings and often start to use oil past the 100k mark If they did not pay attention and let the oil get low it could have potentially caused some timing chain or other damage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest having a reliable mechanic, with a good OBD2 scanner, to check the car out for you, just in case there are any underlying issue that not shown visually. There are other posts in the forum of people asking the same questions, so check those out as well.

1. the moonroof not closing all the way, could be cause by one or both of the track be out of alignment toward the end, did you notice any issue with how it travel toward the end?
2. ticking sound of from the engine area could be from various sources, so a reliable machanic will diagnose that.
4. 20k ml/yr if it all highway, it should be no issue for a Honda. Hopefully, it did not do a lot of heavy towing, otherwise, you may want to focus on the transmission more closely.
Thanks for replying. Let's see,...
1. the moonroof will close on its own when I hit the close switch after I stop it mid-travel. I don't notice any sticking during any of the travel, opening or closing, except for when I close it from full open and it closes about 90% of the way and returns to full open. But if I lightly help it through that 90% point, it seems to close fine. I will take a closer look at the track, just to make sure there are no obvious dents or bends.
2. I'll hook up the cheapo OBD2 scanner I have to see if there are any codes. I'll get it to a mech to help with the ticking.
3. I believe the miles are highway; the lady lived about 100 miles away from her grandkids. She used the hitch to bring bikes on biking trails.
Carfax has a nice history of the oil changes; about every 10k. Will have to find out if synthetic oil was used or not. All of the servicing was done at dealerships so it shouldn't be too hard to find out what and how it was done.
Again, thanks for replying and helping me out.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
Again, thanks for replying and helping me out.
Anytime. The service history is good to have as it tell you how well maintained the vehicle is. However, it does not tell how the vehicle was driven. Like you mentioned previously, "...xmsn shifts were all smooth after a hard acceleration," hopefully it not a sign of a worn transmission.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would get confirmation on the engine noise. The 2010-2011 had those low friction oil rings and often start to use oil past the 100k mark If they did not pay attention and let the oil get low it could have potentially caused some timing chain or other damage.
Yeah, thanks. The Carfax shows the oil was changed about every 10k, with synthetic according to the previous owner's son (and seller). Seeing as how the timing chain guides failed on my previous vehicle (02 Explorer), I may just RnR the timing chain and components. How hard could it be???:rolleyes: Unless it can easily be done with the engine in the car, I'll have to take it in since I have neither the equipment nor the experience of tearing into an engine. But having had V-8s for almost all my 35 years of driving, there seems like a $hit-ton of room in the engine bay of my CRV!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts